New Batman Flick Being Filmed Down The Road

2»

Comments

• snosno 332 Posts
    During the Selina-Kyle-on-Bat-Cycle scene, I heard some dude muttered, " What? No Close up shot?".
    I have no idea what he would like to geek out on, but that cracked me up nonetheless.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Where do I start?

- How about the central conceit of the movie, which occurred in the 1st half hr: that the Robin kid knew Wayne = Batman because of his eyes. (Um, his eyes are visible to everyone else, too). It was hard to get past this. Not because I can't suspend disbelief and enjoy a comic book movie, but because an insult to the intelligence of the audience of this caliber sours me on the rest of the story. I expect more from Nolan.

- The "special forces" thing. Anyone wanna explain the need for this 15-min diversion? Just an opportunity to show the bodies hanging from the bridge and evoke Iraq? Useless. For a movie that needed desparately to shave some minutes, how the fuck did this remain in the final cut?

- Bruce's escape from the hole was so...lame? There was no trick to it; he eventually just had to try harder lol.

- The flying machine was wack. The previous vehicles were dope, but this one took any thrill out of the chase scenes because it was basically magic. I mean, if you're gonna have a machine that basically can do *anything* where's the fun? Might as well have him teleporting around at this point.

- No set up for the rich vs. poor narrative. None. This was huge. It kind of formed the basis for the whole 2nd half of the movie. Suddenly the Occupiers are throwing people out of their 5th Avenue penthouses and I'm like "how the fuck did we get here?!" There was NO setup for this central theme. No scenes of rich people shitting on poor people. No scenes of downtrodden people juxtaposed against rich folks living fat. None. All we have to go on is Selina's little "storm coming" speech to Bruce. Narrative fail IMO.

- Dialogue was flat. Bain: "So you came back to die with your city." Batman: "No, I came back to stop you." Really? That's all you got? That moment was super pregnant; the music subsides and everything, and then....that. Lame. Also the rambling Bruce-Selina dance scene dialogue. I was checking my watch. Bonus: no limp dancing.

- Where the fuck was the prison hole and how did Bruce get back to Gotham?

- why did they piss away 20 days before trying to GPS the truck? why did they wait till the last day?

- what was the Selina-Bain connection? and how did she know where he was hiding in order to take Batman there?

- why did they blow the bridges? the whole point was that people couldn't leave the island anyway, as this would detonate the bomb. But they also blow the bridges...but only a few of them...leaving some of them intact...wtf.

- and the worst moment of all? Marion Cotillard death moment. half the theater in which I watched this laughed at that. We need a gif of that.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    They left the bridges open so suppies could come in. (food, meds etc.)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Where do I start?

- How about the central conceit of the movie, which occurred in the 1st half hr: that the Robin kid knew Wayne = Batman because of his eyes. (Um, his eyes are visible to everyone else, too). It was hard to get past this. Not because I can't suspend disbelief and enjoy a comic book movie, but because an insult to the intelligence of the audience of this caliber sours me on the rest of the story. I expect more from Nolan.

I thought he meant the look in his eyes as being someone who was hiding his anger like he did growing up an orphan.
    It was a stretch but not as simple as just looking at his eyes.

- The "special forces" thing. Anyone wanna explain the need for this 15-min diversion? Just an opportunity to show the bodies hanging from the bridge and evoke Iraq? Useless. For a movie that needed desparately to shave some minutes, how the fuck did this remain in the final cut?

Bane was not playing. I dont think they showed a dead body yet.

- Bruce's escape from the hole was so...lame? There was no trick to it; he eventually just had to try harder lol.

MENTALLY NOT PHYSICALLY.

- The flying machine was wack. The previous vehicles were dope, but this one took any thrill out of the chase scenes because it was basically magic. I mean, if you're gonna have a machine that basically can do *anything* where's the fun? Might as well have him teleporting around at this point.

U DIDNT LIKE THE MISSLE CHASE?

- No set up for the rich vs. poor narrative. None. This was huge. It kind of formed the basis for the whole 2nd half of the movie. Suddenly the Occupiers are throwing people out of their 5th Avenue penthouses and I'm like "how the fuck did we get here?!" There was NO setup for this central theme. No scenes of rich people shitting on poor people. No scenes of downtrodden people juxtaposed against rich folks living fat. None. All we have to go on is Selina's little "storm coming" speech to Bruce. Narrative fail IMO.

This was my co-workers big gripe. He felt it wasnt really fleshed out.

- Dialogue was flat. Bain: "So you came back to die with your city." Batman: "No, I came back to stop you." Really? That's all you got? That moment was super pregnant; the music subsides and everything, and then....that. Lame. Also the rambling Bruce-Selina dance scene dialogue. I was checking my watch. Bonus: no limp dancing.

UH....U WANTED A BETTER COVERSATION BEFORE THEY FOUGHT OR WHILE THEY FOUGHT?
    That Spider-Man stuff.

- Where the fuck was the prison hole and how did Bruce get back to Gotham?

Dude

- why did they piss away 20 days before trying to GPS the truck? why did they wait till the last day?

Did they know where the device in the first week?

- what was the Selina-Bain connection? and how did she know where he was hiding in order to take Batman there?

She was in cahoots with them. Remember the fingerprints exchange?

- why did they blow the bridges? the whole point was that people couldn't leave the island anyway, as this would detonate the bomb. But they also blow the bridges...but only a few of them...leaving some of them intact...wtf.

- and the worst moment of all? Marion Cotillard death moment. half the theater in which I watched this laughed at that. We need a gif of that.

Yeah Talia endscene was questionable. She had to look pretty and shit with no glass on her face or nuthin. Hollywood shit.

- I thought they just hired Selina cause of her theivery chops. Once they did the fingerprint exchange and the whole Bruce Wayne stock exchange setup was complete, it didn't add up that she was still working with them/knew their secret whereabouts, etc.

- I posed just one example of the bad dialogue. I didn't think any of it really popped. Selina's little whispering about the storm coming was kinda ill, but dampened by all the useless back-and-forth that preceded it during the dance. I thought there was, on the whole, just a lot of bad, rambling dialogue. Lil Gordon Leavitt's teary-eyed monologue in Bruce's house was a good example. "There a lot of details....that may need your help." Oooooohhh!!!! (Wait...you don't "help details...") Whatever.

- Missile chase scene didn't do it for me. I just think the batmobiles plus the motorcyle were ill because they were actual vehicles doing sick things in traffic. Once you invent a whole new genre of vehicle (flying thingy with no discernible propulsion mechanism and absolutely no limits whatsoever on its maneuverability?), it ceases to interest me. Like I said, Batman might as well just be flying at that point.

- they *never* knew where the device was. they knew it was on one of several trucks. But inexplicably they waited till the last day to try to figure out which one/track it.

- In the end it was the total lack of context for the haves/have-nots storyline that annoyed me the most. Just set it up a little for fucksakes; it's not like you didn't have the screentime to do it shit was like 3 hrs....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Finally watched this in IMAX yesterday. Liked it overall but the social commentary was a bit much. I wish they stuck to the comic book but that probably wouldn't make for good ePiC aKsHuN.

The Bat (plane/copter)had a large propellor like thing in the bottom. U didnt peep that?

The only set up for the rich vs poor thingy that i could connect to was from the first film when Ra Al Ghul talked about bringing down Gotham.
    But my co worker called foul since you should be able to see that shit just from the movie by itself.
    Its a trilogy though.......

Was her theft a one time hit or was she down with the overall team for a minute since they picked her up at the party?
    Her knowing where safehouses are doesnt sound like that much of stretch. I really doubt they did all their planning in that office.
    If she knew a "stormwas coming" i would think she had seen Bane's hideout at least once while she was in cahoots for the unrevealed amount of time with the League of Assassins.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Yes the Bat was like a stealth helicopter. I had no problem with the vehicle

Wayne's escape was not about some death defying climb but rather finding the right motivation for doing things in life which was the message of the entire movie.

was it really a rich/poor thing in the previous 2 movies tho?

the whole thing with Gotham was that it was corrupt, and that the gangsters were basically running things. It was a biblical reference, Ras a Gul's admonition to destroy Gotham was on some Sodom shit; it's because the city had grown lawless and corrupt; it was never about social/income inequality before.

they flipped it in this recent movie, leveraging recent real world events, substituting the have/have not/99% thing for the corruption theme, thinking the audience wouldn't know the difference. they muddled it.

Class didn't really play a role in the first two movies and it was not the point of the third movie either.

motown67 said:
    Class didn't really play a role in the first two movies and it was not the point of the third movie either.

you miss the scenes where Selina tells Bruce that the common folk are gonna rise up against the rich, the one where the whole city is kicking rich people outta their penthouses and then the one where Selina and her ambiguously lesbian roommate were looting some rich dude's house?

kind of a major theme in the movie.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I am still not quite sure how to feel about the fact that the first shot we ever see of the Joker -- he's standing across the street from the pay-day loans shop on the same corner as my office.

rootlesscosmo said:
    motown67 said:

you miss the scenes where Selina tells Bruce that the common folk are gonna rise up against the rich, the one where the whole city is kicking rich people outta their penthouses and then the one where Selina and her ambiguously lesbian roommate were looting some rich dude's house?

The major theme of the movie was doing the right thing. That was the basis for the first three speeches in the movie, 2 by Alfred and one by Commissioner Gordon. Also related to why Wayne couldn't escape the pit prison the first times and why Selina went from bad to good at the end.

Not saying class wasn't in Rise, but it was not the major storyline/message.

motown67 said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    motown67 said:

The major theme of the movie was doing the right thing. That was the basis for the first three speeches in the movie, 2 by Alfred and one by Commissioner Gordon. Also related to why Wayne couldn't escape the pit prison the first times and why Selina went from bad to good at the end.

"Anyone could be The Batman"

Look, you can read whatever over-arching "message" you want into the film, but I'm talking about the plot.

The whole 2nd half of the movie was the poor people of Gotham occupying the city, kicking the rich people out of their homes, looting their possessions and subjecting them to show trials resulting in their deaths in the icy river.

There was zero set-up for this whole rich/poor confrontation, and that's a major flaw in the movie.

The various other quibbles I have about the movie aside, this is kinda big IMO.

What was the reason for the Stock Market hold up?

Wasnt it more than just money? High Tech Robin Hood shit?

And what about the Football Field Speech?
    Wasnt there a rich/poor reference or was it just Gotham in general?

Bain said he was releasing all the prisoners out of Gotham jail because they had been unlawfully locked up under the Dent Law which was passed by making him a hero rather than revealing that he had turned into Two-Face and become a good guy. That's who was taking over the city and holding the "people's court." That was about acting out of the WRONG motivations, and related back to the entire message, theme, plot, what have you, which the entire movie was trying to convey.

The release of the prisoners and how it was related to Dent was also the basis for one of the first four scenes in the movie when Commissioner Gordon decides not to read his real speech about Dent at the Wayne fund raiser, and also the scene between Gordon and Robin after the release. Again, all about the message, doing the right thing.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Look, you can read whatever over-arching "message" you want into the film, but I'm talking about the plot.

The whole 2nd half of the movie was the poor people of Gotham occupying the city, kicking the rich people out of their homes, looting their possessions and subjecting them to show trials resulting in their deaths in the icy river.

There was zero set-up for this whole rich/poor confrontation, and that's a major flaw in the movie.

You're wrong, dude. It was Man v. Nature, everything else was just setting.

white_tea said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

You're wrong, dude. It was Man v. Nature, everything else was just setting.

lol.