I can't post to the Mardi Gras Bells thread, so...

Comments

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    volumen said:
    Reynaldo said:
    volumen said:

I think it's fully legit. How to you fake a master tape with a mix you couldn't not make just by panning the OG? Anyone who thinks this is fake needs to make a reproduction to prove it. They posts were already acting like it's so easy, so fire up your pro tools and do it!
    How soon we forget about that video where the dude was using software to isolate the individual instruments on "Funky Worm."

Like I said, then let's see someone do it with Mardi Gras. I realize you can pan and filter and equalize stuff out but dismissing this master tape as fake is too easy. Everybody wants to challenge Biz to show a pic of the record when he comes from the days of people scratching out label so people didn't find out what you had. Plus he has nothing to prove to a bunch of trolls. I challenge someone to come up with a bell less Mardi Gras (and not just panned out, missing like the master tape) and bring up the strings and loose half the keys. GO!

Seriously, saying anybody can do it when no one has done it is S-O-F-T.

Lesson of the day:

If you make a claim on the internet, you have to prove it or you're soft.

Except for Biz, who has a special exemption.

Here is a little something I just did with the MashTactic plugin. I think it shows what can be done with enough time and practise. In one file I eliminated the first set of bells and in the other one I tried it also with the lower pitched second set of bells:

http://wtrns.fr/5fPLigF7tAamTg

So I guess with this I can hint at my not-softness.

• [Uploaded by shepdiggedy on Feb 11, 2011]

hmmm...

• spcspc 534 Posts

[Uploaded by shepdiggedy on Feb 11, 2011]

hmmm...

Fake, you can clearly hear the missing highs and tiny bits of bell fragments, perhaps an eq job with the version with the bells on one side.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Call the dork patrol. There's an outbreak.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

You got me. My drink came out my nose a lil on that one.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts

[Uploaded by shepdiggedy on Feb 11, 2011]

hmmm...

Fake, you can clearly hear the missing highs and tiny bits of bell fragments, perhaps an eq job with the version with the bells on one side.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    spc said:

Here is a little something I just did with the MashTactic plugin.

I am tempted to replace my Apache ring tone on my phone now. ;-)

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Look, I didn't want to get involved, but- I have the remains of the cow that the bells were taken from.

That mofo died - natural causes, natch - and I sold the meat as Kobe beef.

With the carcass, I skinned that mutha and made a mock-Vuitton 12x12 suitcase and sold it on auction to some dude with a fixation.

With the remains, I BURNED that bitch in a serious fiyah, collected the ashes and had it compressed into a tiny diamond.

That diamond now sits in my cartridge and serves time playing a mean audiophile experience on anarcho-punk records from 1980.

I can't post pix as the needle is subject to some inexplicable international copyright law.

That is all.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    SPC - I didn't want to get involved but..

That Rare as shit Electric Mojo tape I hooked you up with is actually just an hour of Hot 97 with a special VST filter plug in. It's not real. In fact, there never was a mojo, just mojohoax.
    You can tell because the quality is really bad and it drops out nd sounds filtered. That's the plug in turning Nikki Minaj into Parliament.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

This. hahaha

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    spc said:
    Here is a little something I just did with the MashTactic plugin. I think it shows what can be done with enough time and practise. In one file I eliminated the first set of bells and in the other one I tried it also with the lower pitched second set of bells:

http://wtrns.fr/5fPLigF7tAamTg

So I guess with this I can hint at my not-softness.
    Not yet.

What you did there removed a lot more than just the bells, and does not even sound close to the clip Thes posted. I was trying to take your argument seriously, but you're not making it easy. I'm not even saying that what you're suggesting is impossible to accomplish, just that if you're really trying to prove this is an elaborate hoax, you'll need to do a lot better.

DB_Cooper said:
    I don't think some of you dudes realize how good of a sense of humor Thes has. Personally, I think the tape is real, but I would not consider a hoax video as outside Reverend One's wheelhouse by a long shot.
    Yeah, I'm aware that I may be seriously underestimating how far he'd go for a joke. If it is one, he's executed it much more skillfully than the attempts to disprove it have been.

posted twice

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I picked a really bad week to go on vacation

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I recorded this at my bike race a minute ago. Biz and Mister C cam thru.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Thes, can you elaborate on the dig more generally? At what point did you realize what you had? Did you just make the biggest :shreddin_it: face ever?

I forgot to mention that the "Nobell prize" avatar is outstanding.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:
    I forgot to mention that the "Nobell prize" avatar is outstanding.

WINS

• spcspc 534 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    SPC - I didn't want to get involved but..

That Rare as shit Electric Mojo tape I hooked you up with is actually just an hour of Hot 97 with a special VST filter plug in. It's not real. In fact, there never was a mojo, just mojohoax.
    You can tell because the quality is really bad and it drops out nd sounds filtered. That's the plug in turning Nikki Minaj into Parliament.

Dope, got any more Hot 97 ?

It's all good for me as long as Biz never shows his Mardi Gras "copy" , so the mystery will be kept alive.
    Else I guess something from my hiphop universe would be missing ;)

[Thraed end]

So anyone got any other new Biz stories ??

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    batmon said:

I recorded this at my bike race a minute ago. Biz and Mister C cam thru.

Doubles?

I love that Biz is doing this. It makes it realer.

• spcspc 534 Posts

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    batmon said:

I recorded this at my bike race

Whoa....I never thought Batmon would post the whitest thing I've seen all day.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    volumen said:
    Reynaldo said:
    volumen said:

I think it's fully legit. How to you fake a master tape with a mix you couldn't not make just by panning the OG? Anyone who thinks this is fake needs to make a reproduction to prove it. They posts were already acting like it's so easy, so fire up your pro tools and do it!
    How soon we forget about that video where the dude was using software to isolate the individual instruments on "Funky Worm."

Like I said, then let's see someone do it with Mardi Gras. I realize you can pan and filter and equalize stuff out but dismissing this master tape as fake is too easy. Everybody wants to challenge Biz to show a pic of the record when he comes from the days of people scratching out label so people didn't find out what you had. Plus he has nothing to prove to a bunch of trolls. I challenge someone to come up with a bell less Mardi Gras (and not just panned out, missing like the master tape) and bring up the strings and loose half the keys. GO!

Seriously, saying anybody can do it when no one has done it is S-O-F-T.

Lesson of the day:

If you make a claim on the internet, you have to prove it or you're soft.

Except for Biz, who has a special exemption.

Pretty sure Biz just said it in an interview and the internet went nuts with it. I don't know why people keep claiming Biz owes it to the trolls to post a pic of the record here like he has nothing better to do. It's not like Biz came on soulstrut, made the claim and then bailed. He was on here once, but that was after the fact. And yes, if your going to claim it's easy to make a bell-less mix then post it. A well respected person posts a video of the master tape being played with a mix no one has ever heard and and the haters just dismiss it as filtered. The original poster did his due diligence now the haters can do theirs.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I never said it is easy to remove the bells, I said that with some time and experience with such Software one could do it (which also the programmer of Photosounder said).
    I used the word "filtered" to roughly describe the remaining artefacts of the bells and the rhodes, I didn't mean somebody eqed it out. What I can wrap my head around is that it is so hard to hear those remaining artefacts. I could hear it through the most crappiest headphone imaginable at work, perhaps my ears are better trained for something like that, so if you can't hear what I hear I can understand your position no problem.
    And since I don't have the time (if I had the time I wouldn't post the results here anyway, I'd press up a few 45" and tried my own hoax ;) ) and can't easiliy proove my points to you, I just take back my claim, no haterism involved, I got much respect for Thes and his music, dude hooked my up with something I was looking for for many years, so much love to him.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    so who's gonna be the first to use it on a DOPE ASS BEAT?

it would be cool to do a SS related thing with it, wouldn't it?

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Dante said:
    so who's gonna be the first to use it on a DOPE ASS BEAT?

it would be cool to do a SS related thing with it, wouldn't it?

I am SURE someone is already hard at work on this... youtube rip or not lol

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    heres the issue:

as much as i'd love to hear the "version with no bells", you can totally hear them bleeding, and its not mic bleeding, its like, digital clean-up/filter bleeding. the bells are panned on the LP, theyre really quiet on one channel, and with some filtering and clever waveform work, you can totally "remove" them, but there will be parts during the snare/hi-hat where theres gonna be tons of loss happening. the file is a good attempt at it, but until i hear a crystal-clear master-tape sounding recording of the break without the bells, im pretty damn sure this is a hoax. this sub-128kbps soundclip isnt proving anything to me. you can cut out LOTS of frequencies on such a low-quality file. also why is the rhodes cutting out so much? totally obvious filtering.

the only issue THERE is, if there IS actually a tape without the bells, nobody's gonna post an HD audio version on the web for fear of A. somebody taking the file and pressing 12"s and selling them or B. fear that dudes are gonna take the file and sample it or whatever. so basically even if there is a legit bell-less version, unless we're in the studio hearing it off the tape, or bob james authorizes some legit pressing of it, we'll never hear it in any believable fidelity.

once theres a 360kbps mp3, or a wav or something posted, i'll believe it.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    It's worse than I suspected. Send reinforcements!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Whoa, the collection!

I'm trying to pin these to their sources:

Not familiar with #1 and #2
    #3-5 sound like the Biz Markie No-Bell version.
    #4 is, I'm assuming, the Italian jukebox promo with pannable bells and drums
    #5 is the Thes reel

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Whoa, the collection!

I'm trying to pin these to their sources:

Not familiar with #1 and #2
    #3-5 sound like the Biz Markie No-Bell version.
    #4 is, I'm assuming, the Italian jukebox promo with pannable bells and drums
    #5 is the Thes reel

there should be a box set with extensive liner notes by dj sheep and thes.