I can't post to the Mardi Gras Bells thread, so...

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ha, some people will NEVER have it. That's what's so great about this. It's a myth that will never either be proven or busted, depending on your p.o.v.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    DMCA / Use violation filed on me with YouTube. Had to take down video. I knew it was coming because YouTube started running iTunes add for the song in my description.

4YearGraduate said:
    DMCA / Use violation filed on me with YouTube. Had to take down video. I knew it was coming because YouTube started running iTunes add for the song in my description.

You think it was some software detection that kicked in? Or a human filling a complaint? Because if it was the former...

THE HIVE MIND KNOWS ABOUT MARDI GRAS WITHOUT THE BELLS.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    It had to be software detection because it automatically added the: Buy on iTunes link in te right side of the page.
    But a human, as far as I know has to file the flag. Oh well. It's Better this way.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

New graemlin request: plaese to have Bigfoot holding the CTI briefcase.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    glad i made a copy of it before it was pulled...clever names keep things hidden for a while on youtube, shitty deals it was pulled though

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Can't you select not having any ads on the video? I did this for all my videos and never had an issue since. In any case, sucks.

And not trying to start shit. But why doesn't anyone link back to the Strut? I've seen this in the past as well.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Did that thread get locked? I was wondering why it lost steam so suddenly.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

New graemlin request: plaese to have Bigfoot holding the CTI briefcase.

I was kinda hoping dollar_bin would drop this with the briefcase. And when bigfoot turns it's Biz with "Got it" poppin' HA

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    not sure why it got locked. Didn't what 500 pages of "yes it is, no it isn't" or locked once youtube pulled it. Just cause you own the tape doesn't mean you own the rights so there might have been problems.

I think it's fully legit. How to you fake a master tape with a mix you couldn't not make just by panning the OG? Anyone who thinks this is fake needs to make a reproduction to prove it. They posts were already acting like it's so easy, so fire up your pro tools and do it!

As stated in the Biz thread it's just like the Birthers. You can claim it's fake, but you can't prove it. I believe Obama's birth certificate is real and I believe the no bells master is real. There were different mixes made for TV and radio all the time so it's not that hard to believe. They just wanted some background music to talk over and mellowed out the track.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    volumen said:

I think it's fully legit. How to you fake a master tape with a mix you couldn't not make just by panning the OG? Anyone who thinks this is fake needs to make a reproduction to prove it. They posts were already acting like it's so easy, so fire up your pro tools and do it!
    How soon we forget about that video where the dude was using software to isolate the individual instruments on "Funky Worm."

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    ha ha ha ha...

Embedding disabled by request>

• i have a copy of bob james' "take me to the mardi gras" with TWICE AS MANY BELLS.

:holygrail:

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I'm new around here. Whats the big deal about this anyways?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    volumen said:

How soon we forget about that video where the dude was using software to isolate the individual instruments on "Funky Worm."

Like I said, then let's see someone do it with Mardi Gras. I realize you can pan and filter and equalize stuff out but dismissing this master tape as fake is too easy. Everybody wants to challenge Biz to show a pic of the record when he comes from the days of people scratching out label so people didn't find out what you had. Plus he has nothing to prove to a bunch of trolls. I challenge someone to come up with a bell less Mardi Gras (and not just panned out, missing like the master tape) and bring up the strings and loose half the keys. GO!

Seriously, saying anybody can do it when no one has done it is S-O-F-T.

dj_cityboy said:
    ha ha ha ha...

GENIUS

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    ha ha ha ha...

GENIUS

on blue vinyl too!
    looks like it's spinning at about 3rpm...... could it be the illusive third man pressing

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    big ear said:
    mannybolone said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    ha ha ha ha...

GENIUS

on blue vinyl too!
    looks like it's spinning at about 3rpm...... could it be the illusive third man pressing

I burst out laughing in my otherwise quiet office environemnt upon reading this!

• spcspc 534 Posts
    volumen said:
    Reynaldo said:
    volumen said:

Like I said, then let's see someone do it with Mardi Gras. I realize you can pan and filter and equalize stuff out but dismissing this master tape as fake is too easy. Everybody wants to challenge Biz to show a pic of the record when he comes from the days of people scratching out label so people didn't find out what you had. Plus he has nothing to prove to a bunch of trolls. I challenge someone to come up with a bell less Mardi Gras (and not just panned out, missing like the master tape) and bring up the strings and loose half the keys. GO!

You can hear the filtering going on, it's obvious. That also explains the "bad sound" and why you hear fragments of the bells and the rhodes. And it doesn't sound like mic bleed or a pre-fader send.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Biz just said on the Juan Epstein radio show posted a few days ago that his version has a few bars without the bells and then they come in after that.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I think it's more likely that Thes got the multitrack to mardi gras and made his own edit than this bell-less tv version existing.

That said, it doesn't change how enjoyable his video/audio was OR how legendary this myth has become. Love it.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    spc said:
    You can hear the filtering going on, it's obvious.

I'd be interested in hearing a technical description of which tonal characteristics in this particular recording make it obvious that it's filtering, and what makes them qualitatively different from those present in, for example, mic bleed.

I'm also curious as to anyone's opinion on (given the number of years the Mardi Gras debate has existed): if this is accomplished easily enough by filtering, why didn't we ever see a flurry of bootleg vinyls out there made by people trying to cash in on the frenzy? Or was there one and I just missed it somehow?

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    I think it's more likely that Thes got the multitrack to mardi gras and made his own edit than this bell-less tv version existing.

Why would that be more likely? Are CTI multitracks that easy to obtain, with no one else apparently knowing about it? I'd be inclined to think Thes has better things to do with his time than make fake Mardi Gras vids... but I could be wrong.

Plus, with the advent of digital media, a lot of radio & TV stations have been dumping their old media archives, sometimes just giving stuff away. I've never been fortunate enough to be the beneficiary of this trend, but I know a number of folks who have.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    volumen said:
    Reynaldo said:
    volumen said:

Lesson of the day:

If you make a claim on the internet, you have to prove it or you're soft.

Except for Biz, who has a special exemption.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:
    spc said:

I'd be interested in hearing a technical description of which tonal characteristics in this particular recording make it obvious that it's filtering, and what makes them qualitatively different from those present in, for example, mic bleed.

I'm also curious as to anyone's opinion on (given the number of years the Mardi Gras debate has existed): if this is accomplished easily enough by filtering, why didn't we ever see a flurry of bootleg vinyls out there made by people trying to cash in on the frenzy? Or was there one and I just missed it somehow?

With mic bleed you can hear the full signal, but from the perspective of another mic that is not pointed in the right direction, so the signal would be lower in volume and perhaps with less highs and less bass. What I mean with "filtered" is a flanger/phaser kind of sound, like when you compress a track to 64 kbit mp3 and you hear what happens to the hihats.
    I also can imagine that Thes has better things to do with his time than create a fake video but what I hear just doesn't fit the description/history of that reel.
    There is also another software ( a vst plugin) that does the same as R-Mix, I just can't remember the name. I tried it out a few months ago, just to see, how easy it is, to remove vocals and a few instruments from a track, for editing a track, but the result sounded like that "reel mardi gras" version, with just that kind of "filtering" going on.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I meant this software:

http://www.quikquak.com/Prod_MashTactic.html

There is a free demo also, so everyone can try it out.

Just a thought: Perhaps Thes was slipped a fake reel and he doesn't know that someone faked it? But I think that would go to dar into conspiracy business ;)

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    spc said:
    Fred_Garvin said:
    spc said:

With mic bleed you can hear the full signal, but from the perspective of another mic that is not pointed in the right direction, so the signal would be lower in volume and perhaps with less highs and less bass. What I mean with "filtered" is a flanger/phaser kind of sound, like when you compress a track to 64 kbit mp3 and you hear what happens to the hihats.
    I also can imagine that Thes has better things to do with his time than create a fake video but what I hear just doesn't fit the description/history of that reel.
    There is also another software ( a vst plugin) that does the same as R-Mix, I just can't remember the name. I tried it out a few months ago, just to see, how easy it is, to remove vocals and a few instruments from a track, for editing a track, but the result sounded like that "reel mardi gras" version, with just that kind of "filtering" going on.

Have you considered the "filtering" your hearing is from YouTube's encoding?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    I'd be inclined to think Thes has better things to do with his time than make fake Mardi Gras vids...

I don't think some of you dudes realize how good of s sense of humor Thes has. Personally, I think the tape is real, but I would not consider a hoax video as outside Reverend One's wheelhouse by a long shot.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Sunfade said:
    spc said:
    Fred_Garvin said:
    spc said:

Have you considered the "filtering" your hearing is from YouTube's encoding?

I can hear the filtering in the bells fragments, and not in the rest of the audio.