Rappers rappin' Politics...Yay or Nay?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
Just listened to this Killer Mike track called "Reagan" and I think I'm dumber for it. I don't get involved in politics but if I did the Rap world would be the last place I'd want it to show up.

Comments

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    Just listened to this Killer Mike track called "Reagan" and I think I'm dumber for it. I don't get involved in politics but if I did the Rap world would be the last place I'd want it to show up.

yeah, not good.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I've got no problem with Killer Mike doing that song. I think it's wack of y'all to act like you are somehow above it. Would you prefer that he only rap about rims and fried chicken?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I've got no problem with Killer Mike doing that song. I think it's wack of y'all to act like you are somehow above it.

this.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ya'll lucky that I ain't the president
    Cause I'll push the fuckin' button and get it over wit
    Fuck all that waitin' and procrastinatin'
    And all that goddamn negotiatin'
    Flyin' back and fourth overseas
    And havin' lunch and brunch with the motherfuckin' enemy
    I'll aim one missle at Iraq
    And blow that little piece off shit off the map
    Yeah, I wouldn't give a fuck who it ices
    Cause I'm tired of payin' these high ass gas prices
    Only the rich benefit, it'll be a cold day in hell before I enlist
    To eat shit out a can like a worm
    And everyday wear the same fuckin' uniform
    Sores breakin' on my funky ass feet
    Skin crawlin' cause I ain't took baths in weeks
    Not knowin' if I'm comin' home or not
    And if I do, I'll probably be shell shocked
    I couldn't get a job just a free burial
    You know how Uncle Sam treat it's veterans
    Absolutely no respect
    Get a plate in your head, lose a leg, you might get a check
    Or a gaddamn star, you can have that shit
    Mother-Fuck a war!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I've got no problem with Killer Mike doing that song. I think it's wack of y'all to act like you are somehow above it. Would you prefer that he only rap about rims and fried chicken?

Not all political rap is good, just like not all rap about rims and fried chicken is good.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Not all political rap is good, just like not all rap about rims and fried chicken is good.

That's not the real question.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The Message was more or less the second rap I heard after Rappers Delight.

I think the Message is political, ground breaking and good.

I say yay

But what do I know?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    In general I think a small dash of politics in music goes a very long way. Artists who base their careers mostly on politics are not well represented in my collection.

That said, there's a good interview with Killer Mike about this song here:

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/19/155308252/killer-mike-on-ronald-reagan-and-raising-daughters

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I just wanted to give people my most sincere and honest thoughts

Yay or nay when an artist does such a crazy thing?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I'll say this: I think it's utter bullshit that certain people expect rappers to be political when no other musical genre is held to the same standard.

But I like Killer Mike, and i'm glad this thread exists if only for this gem from the interview posted upthread:

On raising daughters
    "I have four children, and I was a terror. My daughters made me believe in a thing called karma. I'll never forget saying to my older daughter, 'Why do you want to go to a Halloween party as Marilyn Monroe? You couldn't think of another woman to be?'

"I gave her the litany of why you should want to be Zora Neale Hurston and Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth. I gave it to her, and she turned and looked at me and she said, 'But Dad, Pony Boy is Freddy Krueger. He's Freddy Krueger. You didn't tell him to be Malcolm or Martin or Frederick.' And I just looked at her and said, 'I like the wig.'

• hogginthefogg said:
    I'll say this: I think it's utter bullshit that certain people expect rappers to be political when no other musical genre is held to the same standard.

I expect certain rappers to be political, just the same way I expect Fugazi and NOFX to be political.

Some of these rap guys who are STRICTLY POLITICAL get real boring, real fast. The best is when you can mix the personal and the political. Pharaohe Monch for example, perfect balance IMO

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    ketan said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    I've got no problem with Killer Mike doing that song. I think it's wack of y'all to act like you are somehow above it.

this.

+1

Mike is about the only "political" rapper out there whose lyrics aren't just a collection of InfoWars buzzwords all strung together.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Immortal Technique = political raps you can't understand unless you are a conspiracy theorist.

Killer Mike = just enough politics to make things interesting.

I enjoy music that is trying to say something, but "saying something" shouldn't get in the way of good music.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

my jamz

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Shamless self promo right here.

I just completed an early 80s rap mix related to this very topic. Its not all politics, but a lot of it is hip hop with a message.

On the question though, I think a healthy mix is fine. Rap is just a conversation. You chat about politics with your friends, so why can't rappers chat about it to their audience? Its only when it becomes all you chat about that it becomes annoying.

http://soundcloud.com/thereturn/message-from-the-80s

1. T.S.G ??? You Should Know To Say No [Jump Back 198?]
    2. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five ??? New York New York [Sugarhill 1983]
    3. Mr. Magic - Magic's Message (There Has To Be A Better Way) [Posse 1984]
    4. Shahid ??? 1984 (Future Shock) [Clockwork 1984]
    5. CD III ??? Get Tough [Prelude 1984]
    6. Malcolm X ??? No Sell Out [Tommy Boy 1983]
    7. Abiodun Oyewole ??? There Was A Man [OBA 1985]
    8. Tranquilizing 3 ??? A Fact of Life [Apexton 1983]
    9. Carver High ??? Boogie With A Book (Let's Read) [Challenger 1985]
    10. Kool Kyle (The Original Star Child)* ??? Getting Over [Frills 1982]
    11. The Last Poets ??? Long Enough [Kee Wee 1984]
    12. Brothers Unique ??? School Daze [Sutra 1981]
    13. The Unknown Rapper ??? Election 80 Rapp [ALA 1980]
    14. Abdul Tariq ??? Education [Sutra 1986]
    15. Chill Fac-Torr ??? Cen???er City Rock [B Leaf 1984]
    16. I.R.T. (Interboro Rhythm Team) ??? Watch The Closing Doors! [RCA 1983]
    17. Cholly Rock And The Avenue B. Boogie Band ??? Cash Money [General Music 1981]
    18. Community People ??? Education Wrap [Max Music 1980]

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Chatters should chat about politics. But not all the time.
    Not all political chatting is good, but some chatters can pull it off, others should leave it alone.

• There are some really good political songs that I like (KRS, Immortal Technique) then others that are craps so I really think it just comes down to the execution of the song, just like any other type of song.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Conspiracy theory rap is funny, though.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    Electrode said:
    Conspiracy theory rap is funny, though.

You say that now, but just wait until you get into an argument with someone who thinks conspiracy theory rap is the only kind that's any good.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Chatters should chat about politics. But not all the time.
    Not all political chatting is good, but some chatters can pull it off, others should leave it alone.

You put the "I" in irony.