Soul Strut 100: #71 - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited February 2018 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

#71 - The Beginning Of The End - Funky Nassau

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

A monster bit of funk that???s unlike anything else we can think of! Beginning Of The End hailed from The Bahamas, but don???t hold that against them ??? because instead of being a Caribbean cliche, they took the best part of the island rhythms, and used them to forge an incredible approach to funk! They???ve got a choppy sound that???s the result of some incredibly dexterous guitar, bass, and drums ??? and which you???ll recognize instantly from their one-time hit ???Funky Nassau???, a killer funk track that never gets old, no matter how many bands cover it over the years! That gem kicks off the album, which then rolls into the monster funky ???part 2???, which is even better! Other titles are equally wonderful ??? and include ???Come Down???, ???Surrey Ride???, ???Monkey Tamarind???, and ???In The Deep???. Essential ??? and one that you???ll be spinning for years!

http://rappamelo.com/2010/03/the-beginning-of-the-end-funky-nassau/

Related Threads

???Funky Nassau??? LP Appreciation

Your favorite tepid funk terds!

best $50- $100 funk/soul LPs?

Media

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Love this record, and it was one of my first medium raer finds when I started collecting records.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Love this record, and it was one of my first medium raer finds when I started collecting records.

ditto. I thought I was such a balleur when I turned this up for cheap. Wall of Fame!!

Pretty great record all the way through.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Never understood why this is so hard to find while it has the hit funky nassau on it and having been released on Atlantic Rec.

Added to the spotify soulstrut top 100 list:

http://open.spotify.com/user/1121775350/playlist/54CR4Ce88uFkr6shaMHxVX

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    Never understood why this is so hard to find while it has the hit funky nassau on it and having been released on Atlantic Rec.

I believe the 45 for Funky Nassau is an easy find, the LP a bit tougher. It's one of the first LPs I ever won off e-bay. I love this record.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    stratasphere said:

ditto. I thought I was such a balleur when I turned this up for cheap. Wall of Fame!!

Pretty great record all the way through.

yeah - it was one of the early finds that i flipped out about. had this on the turntable a couple weeks ago reminiscing.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    :shit_yeah:

The other Beginning of the End lp is hard to find.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    This record is dopeness, one the most distinctive and best sounds to come out of the islands. Rare groove monster, it sounds and looks so much rarer then it is. Took me a while to find it in the field though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I wonder if they ever toured the States at all. I understand that somebody at Alston (their label) was quoted as sayig that their problem was that "they didn't trust Americans." I'm not surprised, seeing as how Alston was run by Henry Stone, one of the great old-school shysters of the record biz ...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

"Funky Nassau" is a wonderfully entertaining LP that I still play very often (as evidenced by me cuing up "Come Down" on my Stacks Gettin' Funky mix). That's my favorite joint off the album, though overall, I find it to be a solid listen. The LP is one of my better come-ups during my early days of record collecting. Again, this a fantastic addition to the Soul Strut 100.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Almost worth the insane price just for That;s What I Get.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    I wonder if they ever toured the States at all. I understand that somebody at Alston (their label) was quoted as sayig that their problem was that "they didn't trust Americans." I'm not surprised, seeing as how Alston was run by Henry Stone, one of the great old-school shysters of the record biz ...

is that the dude who ran Cat and TK and burned down a warehouse for insurance money? isnt that presumably why Gwen McRae Melody of Life and Beginning of the End Super Woman are very rare?

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    And the MW: Spaced

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Classic LP, I was well chuffed when I found a copy of this for ??1 at a carboot sale circa 91/92.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I actually thought this would be a little higher on the list.

Great album. Come Down!

tripledouble said:
    pickwick33 said:

is that the dude who ran Cat and TK and burned down a warehouse for insurance money? isnt that presumably why Gwen McRae Melody of Life and Beginning of the End Super Woman are very rare?

Same dude. I've never heard the warehouse story, though. The most scandalous thing I've heard about him was that he bought a new Cadillac (or some other pimpadelic car) for George McCrae, to distract him from the fact that he wasn't getting any royalties for "Rock Your Baby." I'm sure there's even worse tales than those.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I found a copy of this a few years ago but remember not really thinking it was all that. Will have to give it a re-listen.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    can life good with the 7" only. never got too much into the other tracks somehow...

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    can life good with the 7" only. never got too much into the other tracks somehow...

• nebbersnebbers 9 Posts
    One of the best LP's i own. I wore my first copy of this out. Come Down is the real killer on this for me and When She Made Me Promise.

LaserWolf said:

I don't think the other BOE album is all that great, to be honest.