Covers of Songs in Different Musical Genres You'd Like To See Happen

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
What are some songs you'd like to hear covered in a different musical genre?
Mine are:
Bon Jovi-Wanted Dead or Alive with a good R&B cover
U2-all hits R&B

What would some of you guys/gals wanna hear? Feel free to get crazy, but you actually wanna have to listen to what you come up with!

Comments

• I kind of want to do a slow burning soul cover of "Hope" by the Descendents.

• Double

• The_Non said:
    U2-all hits R&B

This will sound just as bad a the Phil Collins R&B cover album. Now a Talking Heads, all hits, all R&B would be a different matter.

And not quite a genre suggestion, I would really love to hear Can cover the entire Kraftwerk discography.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    WLT hear a top notch lovers rock rendition of Killing Joke's "Love Like Blood", as I think the haunting chord profession and counterpoint vocal would really lend itself to a spacey and rhythmically clinical production.

On the other side of this, a power-pop interpretation, specifically by heyday Buzzcocks, of Janet Kay's "Silly Games" would have been a real treat if Peter could have kept a lid on the higher falsetto.

But my holy grail want in this PMG game is a balleur modal jazz cover of Discharge's unpolished masterpiece "Never Again".

I can hear a tantalising intro of double bass interwoven with muted piano vamps and complex interplay with a mesmerising pattern of light connections on the ride cymbal.

I'm hearing tinkling high register piano notes over a faraway horn, echoing the jarring lyric: "choking dust crazy with thirst
    Drinking from poisoned pools and streams"

Yes, that would be my shit right there.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Black Sabbath - raw grimy female soul (Changes? Yes!!)
    The Slits - r&b (Heard it Through the Grapevine doubled back!)
    Ike&Tina; - hardcore

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    A smooth jazz version of T.R.O.Y. featuring John Klemmer.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Not a genre switch, but I've always thought that Prince could do a killer version of Leo Sayer's "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing". Seriously.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    neil_something said:
    The_Non said:
    U2-all hits R&B

This will sound just as bad a the Phil Collins R&B cover album.

Nah i heard a decent version of I Still Havent Found What Im Lookin For.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    A blues rendition of Pharcyde's "It's Jiggaboo Time".

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    batmon said:
    neil_something said:
    The_Non said:
    U2-all hits R&B

This will sound just as bad a the Phil Collins R&B cover album.

Nah i heard a decent version of I Still Havent Found What Im Lookin For.

I heard a local R&B band do one of their songs in the mall and it was THE SHIT! Huge brass section, rhythm, amazing drummer, great vocals! Take your mouth off!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'd like to hear a terrible, terrible schlock-metal cover of George Michaels' "Faith." Oh, wait....

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    James Brown doing Johnny Rebel.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think the grateful dead have some good songs.
    I would like to hear R&B covers of Casey Jones and Truckin. Or at least hear those songs done with a backbeat.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Jug band covers of 80s new wave hits

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    David Lee Roth sings Teddy Pendergrass' Turn Off The Lights

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    A female vocal version of Lauren's Dance. That melody is crying out to be sung

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    residentgiant said:
    I kind of want to do a slow burning soul cover of "Hope" by the Descendents.

Good one IMO. Always thought 'Bikeage' would work in that way too.
    Thinking about it, the Descendents almost sounded like a band doing thrashy versions of normal songs anyway (See: Snuff).
    Plenty of Rollins Band songs could be mangled in a low-tempo sung-in-falsetto rock/ soul fashion I think.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Winehouse's "Unholy War" done by Chaka as a jazz ballad, pushed along by a tide of strings.
    Motorhead's "Killed By Death" done by Al Green, tabourine-soul style.
    Tony Bennett doing a bossa-nova take on "Sweet Child of Mine" (pared-down acoustic guitar).

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    bassie said:
    Black Sabbath - raw grimy female soul (Changes? Yes!!)

HELL YEAH

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    An uptempo soul version of Leonard Cohen's version of 'The Partisan.'

A heavied-out, slowed down version of Red Hot Mama done by someone like Low. I'd probably listen to 'Oh Shelia' done in the same vein.

A no-wave version of 'let's stay together'