"Worst beef ever". Nicki Minaj vs. Peter Rosenberg

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2012 in Strut Central
Background on the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/arts/music/nicki-minaj-backs-out-of-summer-jam.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1338829536-7lRrYz3PYzHx4SxWQDMXLg&pagewanted=all

Rosenberg's comments were kind of lame or whatever but Lil Wayne = mad sensitive.

One take: http://www.spin.com/blogs/nicki-minaj-vs-peter-rosenberg-worst-beef-ever

" It takes a mix of bravery and self-loathing to work for Hot 97 and get self-righteous about "real hip-hop." And it takes a mix of badass-ness and clueless self-absorption to cancel a performance because a DJ said some not-so-nice things about you. This beef represents the two most noxious mindsets in hip-hop right now: The haphazard rap purist with a rolling sense of authenticity, and the entitled superstar beyond reproach because of a culture of co-signs and back-patting."

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    My first reaction - and I haven't read all of it yet - is, here's a guy who works for a radio station owned by an international media conglomerate, and he's co-hosting an event that is sponsored and branded out the arsehole and back again, and he's tossing around terms like sell-out?

Somebody call Alanis.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I don't know Hot 97 nor Rosenenberg nor the festival in question, but i can't deny what he says is right:

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    double post

double post

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "I am a hip-hop head."

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    rosenberg is beyond corny

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hot 97 is my wake up alarm radio station rite now. I've had enuff of Steve Harvey.

Rosenberg is wack. The whole show is terrible except when they try comedy type shit.

For the last month trying to promote that played out Summer Jam, he's been spouting the term "Real Hip Hop" alot.
    Yet the playlists on the actual show is your current trash.
    And their "real Hip Hop music" is the same ass Biggie,Nas, and Mobb Deep '94 shit they overchurned when it came out back then.

Shit is dead.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

batmon said:
    Hot 97 is my wake up alarm radio station rite now. I've had enuff of Steve Harvey.

Rosenberg is wack. The whole show is terrible except when they try comedy type shit.

For the last month trying to promote that played out Summer Jam, he's been spouting the term "Real Hip Hop" alot.
    And their "real Hip Hop music" is the same ass Biggie,Nas, and Mobb Deep '94 shit they overchurned when it came out back then.

Shit is dead.

I was going to ask, do they play the likes of Kendrick Lamar or Schoolboy Q of a morning on Hot 97, as Rosenberg seems to suggest? If not, what kind of thing does get daytime radio play these days?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

DocMcCoy said:
    batmon said:

Shit is dead.

I was going to ask, do they play the likes of Kendrick Lamar or Schoolboy Q of a morning on Hot 97, as Rosenberg seems to suggest? If not, what kind of thing does get daytime radio play these days?

I dont know most of the artists they play in the morning. Im out of the game.

Watch the Throne still gets burn.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    BEST. BEEF. EVER.

For what its worth - every time this issue comes up (conservative heads hating on sold the fuck out pop rap) - and it seems to be coming up more and more - the divide is being touted as conservatism versus innovation by holier than thou onlookers like Jon Caramanica - and let the chips fall where ever the fuck they may in the great boombap vs swag wars of the 'teens, but that is some BULLSHIT. There is no motherfucking innovation or advancement in rendering any genre of music completely unrecognizable and indistinguishable from any other bland mainstream pop crud.

Apply the same argument to any other genre and tell me I'm lying.

Real Reggae or fake ass bullshit?

Real jazz? watered down CRUD?

Real rock? or calculating formulaic shite?

SHUCKS - SUCH INNOVATION! Oh, I'm sorry, i must be
    impervious to commercial realities and evolving taste

Anyway Rosenberg may be a dork but he speaks from the heart and you've got to admit hes got some balls on him somewhere for talking all the smack that he does - Minaj doth indeed taketh the rap where shaggy done took the reggae. And hes winning this 'beef' by default - all the free publicity young money just gave him by pulling Minaj over this is blowing him up just when he has that new TV show 'hip hop squares' on air.

Does anyone here consider Nicki a good mc?

To me this is a beef between two questionable muthafuckas.

• I haven't familiarzed myself very well with the story, but aside from the evident hypocracy shooting from the mouth of a "real hip hop head" preaching from the offices of hot 97, I think it's well ballsy that dude is willing to create a gap, or at least an awareness of the gap between "boom bap" and the chud music that nicki minaj makes. Rosenberg isn't going to convert any nicki minaj fans to O.G hip-hop, but at least it's put on blast.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    JON CARAMANICA said:
    Hip-hop is many things, depending on who is drawing the boundaries: sometimes it???s a walled-off fort, sometimes a steady fountain of invention and change. At the 19th-annual installment of the Summer Jam showcase, Ms. Minaj was scheduled to be the marquee performer, an unmistakable sign of evolution.

FOH

youknowyouknow said:
    an awareness of the gap between "boom bap" and the chud music that nicki minaj makes

Yeah, because nobody's ever attempted to do that before.

• DocMcCoy said:
    youknowyouknow said:
    an awareness of the gap between "boom bap" and the chud music that nicki minaj makes

Yeah, because nobody's ever attempted to do that before.

ROSENBERG SHOULD BE CALLED DJ MOSES CAUSE DUDE JUST DIVIDED THE LAND OF RAP IN TWO: BROKEN BASS AMPS & WORD UP MAGAZINE ON ONE SIDE & TWITTER FEEDS SPREAD IN ORANGE CHICKEN SAUCE ON THE OTHER.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    without all the hype, minaj has, at most, all the talent of a mediocre underground mc from the 90's/erly 00's. which is what she was pre-ymcb

SIRUS said:
    without all the hype, minaj has, at most, all the talent of a mediocre underground mc from the 90's/erly 00's. which is what she was pre-ymcb

Wait...she was in the game in the 90s?
    I thought she was relatively new?
    And dont tell me she was battling cats throughout the tri-state area before she had a mixtape.

oops...RIF.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    staxwax said:

For what its worth - every time this issue comes up (conservative heads hating on sold the fuck out pop rap) - and it seems to be coming up more and more - the divide is being touted as conservatism versus innovation by holier than thou onlookers like Jon Caramanica - and let the chips fall where ever the fuck they may in the great boombap vs swag wars of the 'teens, but that is some BULLSHIT. There is no motherfucking innovation or advancement in rendering any genre of music completely unrecognizable and indistinguishable from any other bland mainstream pop crud.

yes.

I had to laugh when I read the NYT piece, talmbout "denying the artform the wide tent it deserves" or whatever such nonsense. you can't widen a tent indefinitely. at some point it's no longer a tent. and while Rosenberg may not be the herb who I necessarily trust to decide where that threshold lies, the threshold nonetheless exists (and for my money I'll take Rosenberg's delineation over the NYT's; as big as a herb as Rosenberg is, at least he likes mostly the same rap music I do).

you gotta draw the line somewhere. pop isn't rap. and wack is wack.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    batmon said:

no doubt. I don't think anyone argues with this.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    batmon said:

What makes a good MC? She's a talented vocalist and a great stage performer. She's got the kids riled up. If that's what it takes, then yeah, good MC.

Let's not forget that Nicki's under Young Money's art direction. I would have been more surprised to see Weezy sign her as an independent, take-care-of-myself sista act with braids. Is Nicki bubblegum because she just likes the color pink? Or is it just the most effective way for a female rapper to gain mainstream success at this moment in time? Maybe the "real heads" made it too hard for Nicki sans neon to make it, so now we've got the white Rosenberg harshing on a girl from Harlem for not holding up his standards of hip-hop orthodoxy.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think this captures it well:

"Notably, Ms. Minaj was one of the most technically gifted rappers on the bill, though her skill is a weapon she deploys selectively, not abuses."

She is technically solid and I don't think this pop phaff is all she's capable of; I think it's her calculated decision to make this type of music...or to make her money off this type of music anyway. It's the Lady Gaga thing - talented regular gal making straight use of her tool and then realizing she can flex a little weird, have a fuckload of fun and make about the same amount of cash. Al Yankovic comes to mind as well.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    And between Rabin and this week's good old days asshurt, I recall James' post:

"When people horn about how much music has changed and how far it's fallen, they're usually--whether they realize it or not--nostalgic for some past version of themselves or some past version of the world. It's been my experience that the more content a person is with their current self and current circumstances, the less likely they are to have a problem with current music."

Almond said:
    batmon said:

What makes a good MC? She's a talented vocalist and a great stage performer. She's got the kids riled up. If that's what it takes, then yeah, good MC.

So MC Hammer is a good mc by your standards?

I dont have to explain this shit.

• nicki went pop and make a wack song. rosenberg called her out on it. he's totally right. i would say the exact same thing.