The Weeknd?

FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
I remember a couple of Strutters mentioning this guy a year or two back ...I didn't investigate him at the time but a UK gig we're working on has just sold out in literally 10 minutes. We see that for Drake, Jay-Z and Kanye etc but is Weeknd that big or just that hot?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    You decide:

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    He's spelling Weekend wrong.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    I remember a couple of Strutters mentioning this guy a year or two back ...I didn't investigate him at the time but a UK gig we're working on has just sold out in literally 10 minutes. We see that for Drake, Jay-Z and Kanye etc but is Weeknd that big or just that hot?

That hot. How big I think will depend on if and what he releases moving forward.
    Excellent recipe: Three releases within a year, give or take, packaged in a lot of chic mystery plus indie soul songs for the drugged, romantic party set.

Folks are looking at this guy as the next version.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I thought the first release had it's moments but he went downhill from there.

Then I found out the singer who is now 'The Weeknd' used to be your run of the mill wannabe rnb dude, singing sappy, slightly alternative versions of whatever R. Kelly was singing about 15, 20 years ago, over paint by numbers rnb tracks. Then he hooked up with the producer of the 3 good tracks on the first release, who said 'Let's not do that. Let's make it kinda dark, use indie samples and sing about how fucked up we got last night. yeh!' and The Weekend was born. As a group. Later becoming singular and also dropping the e.

Drake co-sign, House of Balloons free mixtape, much hype, best album of 2011 blah blah blah, later.. 'The Weeknd' is a huge success and getting paid. Only the guy who came up with the name, concept and produced the tracks that made the Abel Tesfaye famous, hasn't seen a penny. Dude got completely cut out of the picture. Abel refused to even give him any credit.

What a phony cunt he must be.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    dbl.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Okem said:

Then I found out the singer who is now 'The Weeknd' used to be your run of the mill wannabe rnb dude, singing sappy, slightly alternative versions of whatever R. Kelly was singing about 15, 20 years ago, over paint by numbers rnb tracks. Then he hooked up with the producer of the 3 good tracks on the first release, who said 'Let's not do that. Let's make it kinda dark, use indie samples and sing about how fucked up we got last night. yeh!' and The Weekend was born. As a group. Later becoming singular and also dropping the e.

Drake co-sign, House of Balloons free mixtape, much hype, best album of 2011 blah blah blah, later.. 'The Weeknd' is a huge success and getting paid. Only the guy who came up with the name, concept and produced the tracks that made the Abel Tesfaye famous, hasn't seen a penny. Dude got completely cut out of the picture. Abel refused to even give him any credit.

All of which may be true, but the dude Abel does have a nice voice.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    More like "Weakened (version of The-Dream)" AMIRIGHT?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    saw him play at Coachella. Terrible live. I could only stomach about 2 mins of it.

:talib:

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:

EXACTLY

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Okem said:

man, i didnt know that. I always thought it was a group, then at coachella it was one dude. Shitty story if its all true, but things are rarely as simple as they seem.

That robocop video was pretty sick! I like his stuff okay.

white_tea said:
    Okem said:

man, i didnt know that. I always thought it was a group, then at coachella it was one dude. Shitty story if its all true, but things are rarely as simple as they seem.

white_tea said:
    Okem said:

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    True.

I think, though, that ladies love cool Abel in a way that they do not your man Youngdell. And considering the basic genre in which they both operate, I don't think this should be overlooked. It's telling that Dream's attempts at sensual seduction have their strongest success among their non-targets (namely, dudes on the internet).

As a music geek, I definitely think that Dream is artistically superior (your advocacy on behalf of "Fancy" did not fall on deaf ears, hogg). But as a warm-blooded human, the disparity in magnetism is impossible to deny.

Some time ago I was watching some interview where Molly Ringwald was taking about Pretty In Pink and the difficulty she (and every female on-set) had in selling the male casting directors on Andrew McCarthy. The directors all wanted some strapping dude as the love interest, and she just couldn't get them to understand why more nuanced, less frontal guy might work better. She kinda laughed and sighed and said something to the effect of, "Boys just don't get it."

I think this might kinda be like that.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    james said:
    Some time ago I was watching some interview where Molly Ringwald was taking about Pretty In Pink and the difficulty she (and every female on-set) had in selling the male casting directors on Andrew McCarthy. The directors all wanted some strapping dude as the love interest, and she just couldn't get them to understand why more nuanced, less frontal guy might work better. She kinda laughed and sighed and said something to the effect of, "Boys just don't get it."

I think this might kinda be like that.

So Abel is like Andrew McCarthy and Terius is like...Rob Lowe? I'll agree that The-Dream is less nuanced, but I'll also state that he is one of the uglier dudes to ever croon into a mic. Uglier than Lloyd aka Santa's Lil' Helper (shouts to 50!). Dude makes Musiq Soulchild look downright cute. So in that respect, yeah, Abel is gonna appeal to more ladies. But his fan base crosses over a lot with Aubzeze's, so let's just say that certain ladies are willing to see beauty in the goofy.

As a boy, I just don't get it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I see The Weeknd as more of a James Spader and since we're taking it there:

The-Dream = Jon Cryer
    Frank Ocean = Andrew McCarthy
    Drake = Annie Potts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Musically, seems things are basically on the same track, but the image change is kinda off. The new album posters are up by my work and I had to do a double-take on the bear and Weeknd on the same spread.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I celebrate his entire catalogue... but House Of Baloons is the best. His other two mixtapes both have great tracks IMO, but they're a little more hit and miss.

However, I didn't like his new song now that he's signed with Warner, and I dare say that I won't be a fan going forward.