Soul Strut 100: #70 - Big Bear - Doin??? Thangs

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2012 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

#70 - Big Bear - Doin' Thangs

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

The Cover says it all.

Related Threads

Big Bear Doin Thangs f-king hilarious

The 25 Most Ridiculous Pen & Pixel Album Covers of All Time

DOIN THANGS BigBear/penpixel history

Describe your last sexual encounter with an album title.

Media

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Never listened to this and I never will as I don't want to spoil how I imagine this to sound... long-time fan of the cover art, no music could do it justice.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I can't be mad with this making the list, because that cover art is so facemelting. But hands up Strutters, who has *actually* given this is a spin?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I honestly thought this might make the Top 10, given how quintessentially Strut it is.

The name of it might be better than the cover art, all things considered.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I've just watched that Youtube video and it's the weirdest shit I've seen in a good while. I'm beginning to think that Big Bear is many, many levels above the Strut.

• I used to own this...disappointingly, the music is not laughable.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Somebody sold and got this as a heatrock from the Haiti earthquake charity. Who bought it? Come forth.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Never listened to this and I never will as I don't want to spoil how I imagine this to sound... long-time fan of the cover art, no music could do it justice.

Exactly. The cover is so perfect, the music can only be a let-down.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Double

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    slam dunkin hoes > doin thangs

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    I peeped the video. I was really hoping for the boom-bap to drop over the loop of the grizzly bear growling.

Fans of this cover would greatly benefit themselves by doing an image search for Lil Flip's first album. The cover looks like a box of Lucky Charms with Flip decked out like a leprechaun grubbing a bowl of iced-out pieces.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Love that fake promo video. One of my all-time favorite Internet inventions.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Without ever hearing it I know that I love this record more than probably half of my actual collection. I would never sully my relationship with Big Bear by actually listening to this LP, it's too pure the way it is.

I showed this cover to a coworker at the library and he loved it. He was cracking up and then he asked this very quiet, shy young girl that works there "hey _______, what do you know about Big Bear? He's doin thangs."

She, totally disinterested, said "that's nice for him."

It was so funny the way she said it.

• Wow really...? I've always thought that this album cover was a joke, a spoof, or something. The truth hurts. Question though; are the bears helping him "do thangs"?

"You wanna know what this music sounds like?! HUH DO YOU?! It sounds just like the cover looks...... TERRIBLE!!" - Tyrone Biggums

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    That promo vid is soooooo fucked up. I love it.

• countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
    This list lost all it's credibility with this one. You're joking right? This is better than BJ One, Hard 2 Earn, Sabbath??? All of a sudden I hate this list.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    That promo vid is soooooo fucked up. I love it.

i don't understand why he's wearing a bra.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    countmacula said:
    This list lost all it's credibility with this one. You're joking right? This is better than BJ One, Hard 2 Earn, Sabbath??? All of a sudden I hate this list.

hahahahaaa come on son
    sabbath is dope but Big Bear is DOIN THANGS!!!!!!
    this cover is part of the mortar that holds soulstrut together.
    well earned spot on the list and it actually has me even more eager to see what could possibly be ranked ahead

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    DustedDon said:
    slam dunkin hoes > doin thangs

Ouch- that's a tough choice...

countmacula said:

The list is not all about musical quality. It's more about importance to strut culture. Things that got a lot of talk or were part of hillarious jokes at some point.

Music lists are not in short supply. This is a strut 100, which to me, is what makes it interesting and not just a rehash of something you could find somewhere else.

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    I'm new around these parts, so missed any previous talk about this album.
    gotta say thanks to the strut for showing me - that cover is so good.
    I got no real desire to hear it, but the cover makes me wish I was Doin' Thangs.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts

Drop the B.
    The irony.
    Classic.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Drop the B.
    The irony.
    Classic.

Haha genius!!!!!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    There's no way in hell Endless Flight doesn't make number one on this list. No fucking way.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i hope Big Bear or the Pen and Pixel team catch wind of the company they are keeping on this list

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts