What's you pick for the greatest psychedelic track ever?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Your thoughts please.

Comments

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    Your thoughts please.

you first.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Are You Experienced?

And this one...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Itchycoo Park

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    psychedelic is a relative wide range

b/w

i do ride hard for the trip beyond mixtape!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    No such thing, but here's one:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Like HL said, no such thing, but close imo:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    And this one...

Tell ya what....I'll never post on Texas rap if you never post about psych.

This song wouldn't even make the top 10,000

Impossible question......I might start here and then post about 500 more.

Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    And this one...

Tell ya what....I'll never post on Texas rap if you never post about psych.

This song wouldn't even make the top 10,000

Not of your era, old man.

I mean yes, the 60's happened. And of course there's all of that. But for me at my age, when I was actually taking psychedelics, it was stuff by the likes of the Butthole Surfers, Screaming Trees, My Bloody Valentine, and Spacemen 3 that was enhancing the trip.

This was even a big tune for us in high school after a successful mushroom hunt...

Someone younger than me might say Radiohead. Point being, psychedeilc music isn't just one thing from one single time frame.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I can't narrow it down to one, but this is one of the records I played to death when first I bought it.

HarveyCanal said:

Someone younger than me might say Radiohead. Point being, psychedeilc music isn't just one thing from one single time frame.

Yeah dude....I wasn't releasing new psych music up until the 00's.

I put this(and many others) out in the 90's....it's pretty damn good....GOAT?..... not even close.
    http://www.divshare.com/download/9675784-0f7

Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Yeah dude....I wasn't releasing new psych music up until the 00's.

Some might say Lil B is Rap too

Lil B is indeed rap.

b/w

Closed-mindedness and psychedlic anything aren't a good match.

Another great psychedelic track IMO...

With your limited scope of listening in this genre I respect your opinion even if I don't agree with it.

b/w

I respect your knowledge in Texas Rap to the point where I would never question or argue with you about the genre.

even if I do think E.S.G. "Oceans Of Funk" is the GOAT

Rockadelic said:

I put this(and many others) out in the 90's....it's pretty damn good....GOAT?..... not even close.
    http://www.divshare.com/download/9675784-0f7

That sounds alright to my ears, but it would have done absolutely nothing for the dudes I used to trip out with during the 90's.

Again, psychedelic music does not necessarily have to be a throwback to the 60's.

Granted, a lot of 90's acts that I was into were HEAVILY influenced by that era as well. But there is a not so fine line between being influenced and straight aping the past.

That said, I just recently discovered this blatant throwback song, and I LOVE it...

Yeah, I respect your opinion on 60's-styled psych music to the the hilt. I just think there is more to psychedelic music than just 60's-styled psych music. In fact, I know there is.

Also, ESG is as good a choice as any when it comes to Texas rap...even if he's really from Louisiana.

HarveyCanal said:
    Yeah, I respect your opinion on 60's-styled psych music to the the hilt. I just think there is more to psychedelic music than just 60's-styled psych music. In fact, I know there is.

Also, ESG is as good a choice as any when it comes to Texas rap...even if he's really from Louisiana.

All Rockabilly isn't from the 50's/60's either....just all that are worth a damn.

b/w

When I met Sean (the producer?) he introduced himself as being from Houston.....I know it was recorded in Houston and pressed in Dallas.....either way it's a fave.

Yeah, you're good on saying ESG is from Houston, as he's been based there for quite some time. Same goes for Bun B...but NOT Drake.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    hard to fuck with this, no vocals needed

BTW Harvey.....I strongly recommend Damien Youth from Louisiana as the purveyor of some of the best neo/modern psych music out there.....if you don't know him and his alter ego Walter Ghoul check it out.

Cool...thanks for the tip, Rock.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    the way the boondoggle in this thread started, was aired out, and subsequently stymied without any dick measuring makes me want to start posting again.

good lookin' you two.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i'm glad too, cause i was lookin to soak up some psych game from Rock.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Should be something by Stephen David Heitkotter methinks....

sticky_dojah said:
    Should be something by Stephen David Heitkotter methinks....

It would be hard to describe how disappointed I was when I finally heard this record.

Just a crappy jam session, imo, and psychedelic only due to the overall incompetence.

EL DUBLO

B...B..BUT IT WAS RECORDED IN A LUNATIC ASYLUM!! HOW MUCH MORE PSYCHEDELIC CAN YOU GET???? I still really like the atmosphere of the record and the fact it is "just a crappy jam session" and the "incompetence" only add feeling. Strokes and folks I guess. I should've stayed out of these kind of threads, "best ever" threads will only cause trouble.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i realize this is not technically"psych" and a really obvious pick.
    but for me it always seemed to fit the bill.
    i always pictured "real" psych tunes to have a lot of experimentation,echo,distortion,longer than the most songs and improv.
    this track certainly has that
    also if you are ever in a middle american bar and you don't like the waitstaff or the patrons -you can usually find this tune in the cd jukebox and get quick revenge
    play 3-4 times in a row-the bow solo will usually clear the room

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts

sticky_dojah said:
    B...B..BUT IT WAS RECORDED IN A LUNATIC ASYLUM!! HOW MUCH MORE PSYCHEDELIC CAN YOU GET???? I still really like the atmosphere of the record and the fact it is "just a crappy jam session" and the "incompetence" only add feeling. Strokes and folks I guess. I should've stayed out of these kind of threads, "best ever" threads will only cause trouble.

Hey, to each his own and I shouldn't rain on your parade, I know I dig plenty of head-scratching stuff. It's just that this record was so hyped and I know I wasn't the only one who was let down.

Pretty sure the asylum stuff was debunked by the bass player.