Please recommend some good music with Arabic influences

2»

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Duderonomy said:
    I won't be adjusting my use of the word oriental any more than antipodean, european, south american or asian. It's a geographical reference meaning the east. What negative uses does the compass hold in America in 2012?

Read Edward Said. Then rethink your stance.

Read Clive Dewey. Then rethink your stance.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    To get this thread back on track, perhaps include some John Berberian? His records are all (imo) pretty good and mix Middle Eastern influenced music w/rock.
    Les McCann-The Lovers
    There's a ton of jazz that has influences from the Middle East, but nothing is really leaping into my head atm.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I find this track to be Orientalist in attitude.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts

More oriental music influenced by jazz I guess, love it

another must, one side is Ra , the other is just Ragab and it is the best of the two: Oriental Heat.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    The US have a lot more skeletons in the closet

More than whom? I feel that a lot of the anti-U.S. bias on this site fails to take into account the much longer, and not always as rosy, history on their own native lands.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I was always told that you should only use the term Oriental in two instances -- rugs and food.

As a rug, I'm insulted, sir.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    AHG!!! I can't stand it!!! I tried to quash it thinking folks wouldn't want to get into this, but OK.

white_tea said:
    finelikewine said:
    The US have a lot more skeletons in the closet

More than whom? I feel that a lot of the anti-U.S. bias on this site fails to take into account the much longer, and not always as rosy, history on their own native lands.

EXACTLY. It surely can't be in relation to slavery. Imperialism? Colonialism? (Dewey??? Read it to have your mind changed...in what direction?)

Speaking for myself only, I don't really care about 'oriental' because it just doesn't hold the same weight here in N America; it is an inherently European term that signified/signifies where everything sits in relation to Europe. The Middle East? East of what? The Far East? Far away from where? The implication doesn't resonate as deeply with that word over here imo.

If we're going to ask Will.What.A.Bore.I.Am to weigh in, let's keep it consistent and make sure we refer to him as a Negro.

Phew. I need an ice cream sandwich.

*I got finelikewine mixed up with a NYC soul guy with a similar handle....which I am not sure what it is now. I think he DJed with the Big City Records guy when I was in NY a few years ago.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    bassie said:
    *I got finelikewine mixed up with a NYC soul guy with a similar handle....which I am not sure what it is now. I think he DJed with the Big City Records guy when I was in NY a few years ago.

Matt Fine Wine?

exte82 said:
    Hey!

My friend is a huge middle-east fan and asked me if I could make him a cd of music with middle-eastern influences. Feel free to give some names (from 60s/70s).

Thanks in advance,
    exte82

Ahmed Abdul-Malik has some really beautiful stuff
    Gary Bartz - Teheran (sic)
    Relatively Clean Rivers - The Persian Caravan
    (can't see youtube - sorry for repeats)

Also - there is a barrel of Iranian, Arab, N African contemporary musicians that incorporate the 'middle-east' sound into their pop music that may or may not be up your friend's alley.

Horseleech said:
    bassie said:

Matt Fine Wine?

yes! thank you!