Please recommend some good music with Arabic influences

exte82exte82 202 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
Hey!

My friend is a huge middle-east fan and asked me if I could make him a cd of music with middle-eastern influences. Feel free to give some names (from 60s/70s).

Thanks in advance,
exte82

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I recently aquired a private press psych jazz (?) 10" from 1968 record that has a very nice arabic influence. Mostly I don't ride for oriental music at all, but this one very well done. Will upload a rip later.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Lloyd Miller.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    George Harrison-Wonderwall Music

• exte82exte82 202 Posts

• Surprised no one has mentioned this:

You should also check out the Pomegranates comp:

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Good friend of mine made an beat album with the music he picked up while staying in Syria. Great, great stuff.

• if you dig some weird compilations you might like these:

good stuff!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Patrick Sky
    Kaleidoscope

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Forgot this gem:

Les Abranis - Chenar Le Blues

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    I recently aquired a private press psych jazz (?) 10" from 1968 record that has a very nice arabic influence. Mostly I don't ride for oriental music at all, but this one very well done. Will upload a rip later.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    oriental music

Where are you from?

bassie said:
    finelikewine said:
    oriental music

Where are you from?

The Occident.

lol - Yes, but which region?

bassie said:

central europe

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Baris K is killing it with the Turkish psych disco and funk. This edit series is essential.

Read full review of Istanbul 70: Psych, Disco, Folk Edits by Baris K - Vol. I - BARIS K / VARIOUS on Boomkat.com ©

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    bassie said:

central europe

In case you missed it...
    It is considered rude to use Oriental to refer to people or cultures.

LaserWolf said:
    finelikewine said:
    bassie said:

central europe

In case you missed it...
    It is considered rude to use Oriental to refer to people or cultures.

Wow. :face_melt:
    Over here it has no negative connotation at all. Sorry if i hurted the feelings of any middle east strutter.

finelikewine said:
    Sorry if i hurted the feelings of any middle east strutter.

This must be another cultural difference.

My feelings are fine. It's just out-of-place in 2012 N America, that is why I asked.

bassie said:
    finelikewine said:

My feelings are fine. It's just out-of-place in 2012 N America, that is why I asked.

Bassie, this is not directed at you, but this is kind of hypocritical political correctness which unsettles foreigners like me.
    The US have a lot more skeletons in the closet, they should be more worried about than in an adjective which has for the rest of the world no negative connotation at all. Not even arabs (outside the US) take offence at it.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Just to add on there are no negative connotations attached to the word Oriental over here in the uk, not even in the slightest. Surprised to hear there are in the US, but certainly interesting to know.

finelikewine said:
    bassie said:
    finelikewine said:

Bassie, this is not directed at you, but this is kind of hypocritical political correctness which unsettles foreigners like me.
    The US have a lot more skeletons in the closet, they should be more worried about than in an adjective which has for the rest of the world no negative connotation at all. Not even arabs (outside the US) take offence at it.

Understood. To be clear, I am not in the US, nor am I from the US . I think citing political correctness is a cop-out and a distraction. There is a lot to be "worried about" in language, as it shapes how we see, define and feel about the world around us.
    I didn't find it offensive, just odd.

My apologies for the derail - I guess I could have asked in a PM.

Let's get back to the music.

edit - I am not trying to shut you down. If you want to take it up in PMs, let's do that.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I won't be adjusting my use of the word oriental any more than antipodean, european, south american or asian. It's a geographical reference meaning the east. What negative uses does the compass hold in America in 2012?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    I won't be adjusting my use of the word oriental any more than antipodean, european, south american or asian. It's a geographical reference meaning the east. What negative uses does the compass hold in America in 2012?

Read Edward Said. Then rethink your stance.

The_Non said:
    Duderonomy said:

Read Edward Said. Then rethink your stance.

haha!

Can we get Will.i.am to fly in on his helicopter and weigh in on this?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Can we get Will.i.am to fly in on his helicopter and weigh in on this?

He only does political commentary in holographic form.