Can we talk a little Robert Palmer?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
What's your favorite album of his and tracks?

Dude's catalog was a lot better than I was expecting.

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Can't say I'm a huge fan, but I had this song (mislabled) on a Lee Perry CD, and was surprised to learn it was RP:

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    Dude's catalog was a lot better than I was expecting.

Just recently I looked into his catalog and agree, there were more songs than I realized.
    This one in particular was a favorite I remember as a kid, and still enjoy to this day

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Can't say I'm a huge fan, but I had this song (mislabled) on a Lee Perry CD, and was surprised to learn it was RP:

found on the flip side of his "bad case of loving you" 7" !!

and his goat,

saw him with the meters twice in the late 70's,
    also love his feat backed material
    but
    upsetter for the win

my buddy drove across the us with palmer in an equipment truck (uriah heap/vinegar joe related)
    and he said they would stop at all antique malls & flea markets to search for vintage clothing and vinyl

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I ride.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

:dodododo:

MOR terdage on the bad side of the 80's
    Weve had Lisa Stansfield, can i preemptively dis the fuck out of the upcoming paul simon and graceland, johnny clegg and savuka, suzanne vega, and the shock the monkey appreciation threads? thank you

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I remeber my College White girlfriends playin his early shit. I was intersted but didnt care that much for the Reggae type shit.

Was he in Power Station?

batmon said:
    College White

;blap:

staxwax said:
    batmon said:
    College White

;blap:

Shorty showed me some Palmer cassette with him in some water or something. I liked being exposed to his pre MTV shit.

She was from the suburbs.

staxwax said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Weve had Lisa Stansfield, can i preemptively dis the fuck out of the upcoming paul simon and graceland, johnny clegg and savuka, suzanne vega, and the shock the monkey appreciation threads? thank you

I can pretty much set my watch by you nowadays. Thanks for your input.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Never rode for dude??? His Addicted to Love vid was cool, though.

batmon said:
    staxwax said:
    batmon said:
    College White

;blap:

Shorty showed me some Palmer cassette with him in some water or something. I liked being exposed to his pre MTV shit.

She was from the suburbs.

good thing you took the hint.
    college white w. black trim ftw

music is still trash tho

Yeah she was talkin like there was some extra shit to him before he blew up.

I think he was finding himself. I could be wrong.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    staxwax said:
    DocMcCoy said:

I really liked all those, thanks for posting Doc.
    Been meaning check out some of his joints since my music tastes went a bit Balearic and I know a few of his tunes had been picked up on that scene. I believe one of Dj Harvey s recent tracks was more or less an interpolation of a Palmer tune, or at least an element off.
    Also at least I stand a chance of finding these in my local charity shop.

bboyparkz said:

I really liked all those, thanks for posting Doc.
    Been meaning check out some of his joints since my music tastes went a bit Balearic and I know a few of his tunes had been picked up on that scene. I believe one of Dj Harvey s recent tracks was more or less an interpolation of a Palmer tune, or at least an element off.
    Also at least I stand a chance of finding these in my local charity shop.

Yeah, that's true enough.

He always made interesting records, and anyone who'd followed him long enough knew that he was never afraid of taking a sharp left at any given moment. When he started hanging out with Talking Heads and them around 1980 and began to embrace new wave, talking up Gary Numan and all that, it wasn't like Linda Ronstadt covering Elvis Costello. He came across as someone who was actually interested in it on a musical level, rather than just as a means of making himself seem relevant.

He got a little trapped by that whole double-breasted Armani suit/pharmaceutical nosebag/fashion model image that he acquired after Addicted To Love, and his records became less vital toward the end of his career, but I've often wondered what he'd be doing now if he hadn't died. He seemed to make a point of staying up on new shit, and I think he probably had another couple of good albums left in him.

DocMcCoy said:

Dont let your feelings get in the way of my robert palmer appreciation clonnery.
    And to the kid above, never confuse buying robert palmer from the thrift with digging.
    Balearic dj harvey flips aside. Youre still extending the weak shit section of your collection, like the time with that raer 10CC joint dilla touched.

staxwax said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Dont let your feelings get in the way of my robert palmer appreciation clonnery.
    And to the kid above, never confuse buying robert palmer from the thrift with digging.
    Balearic dj harvey flips aside. Youre still extending the weak shit section of your collection, like the time with that raer 10CC joint dilla touched.

That'd be that raer 10cc joint that I used to listen to when I was at school. Never confuse digging with having an ear for music that's been developed over decades of actually listening to the stuff.

Carry on extending whatever.

• I play this out somewhat regularly.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    staxwax said:

Point taken.
    From this moment on I shall exclusively pick up rarities and ignore the gems hidden on common records

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts

This one has had a heap of rotation from me in recent years.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    batmon said:
    Shorty showed me some Palmer cassette with him in some water or something.

The Clues album. From 1980, notable because I think the Sony Walkman came out right around that same time, and he was holding one of the first models off the assembly line on the cover.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

He got a little trapped by that whole double-breasted Armani suit/pharmaceutical nosebag/fashion model image that he acquired after Addicted To Love

Even before that song, his album covers and photos gave him that reputation.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    staxwax said:

You're definitely top contender for most predictable dude around here.
    There's a few decent songs on his early records not to mention his later pop career cuts. Meters, Toussaint and Scratch Perry backing is enough to warrant a discussion on here IMO.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    frenzie said:

Heavy tune. I didn't have Palmer on the map. I guess that must be one of the tracks with Meters backing, right? I'll be looking out to extend this weak shit section in my record file cabinet.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    If he only ever came out with DMTTYO he'd deserve massive props.
    One of the most brooding and erotic tracks ever committed.
    Deeply evocative for my generation, of that nascent yuppie period when newly coined bars full of polished chrome and plush leatherette seats mingled with Armani suits, big hair and cocktails made with creme de menthe.
    Redolent of late night haphazard walking patterns through plazas populated with a new breed of angular glass 'n' steel office towers, and tottering with cake-made-up Amazons down glistening cobbled backs streets that shimmer and glint in the memory.
    Glorious nights.

Welling up now

::WMIC::

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    My two fave tunes from him are "Every Kind Of People" and the left-field number "Want You More".

disco_che said:
    frenzie said:

Heavy tune. I didn't have Palmer on the map. I guess that must be one of the tracks with Meters backing, right? I'll be looking out to extend this weak shit section in my record file cabinet.

Did A Tribe Called Quest jack the chant for their own Push It Along????