Mini Mac vs. G5?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Opinions plaese? [color:white] I'm gonna use Guzzo's $21 and buy me a new computer[/color]

Comments

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    Depends on what you want to use them for. Obviously the pricetag on the Mini Mac is considerably lower, but you're also getting less of a machine. If you're using it for recording, I'd personally go with the G5, but if it's just for your business and personal stuff, Mini Mac would probably suffice. They are good little machines.

• The mini mac tag is lower but with a monitor and keyboard and mouse and whatever else it's about the same...

I have a deal for a G5 at $900. The mini is $500 itself, another $2-300 for a screen... and so on.

This is for basic office apps.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I agree with Zeke - it really depends on the desired function. Mini Macs are great if space is a primary concern. But if you're going for power, G5 is a better bet.

• space is a concern. Is the monitor/unit on the G5 that brolic?

• I agree with Zeke - it really depends on the desired function. Mini Macs are great if space is a primary concern. But if you're going for power, G5 is a better bet.

What are the specs on the G5?

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    What are the specs on the G5? That's a good price for even the basic models.

It's a lot easier to upgrade the G5 than it is the Mac mini, but for office apps either would work really well.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Go with the G5.

Wait, a G5 tower?

• No, G5 monitor-thingy.

It is the lowest model on the G5. But like I said, basic office shit... Is it substantially bigger than a regular monitor though?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    If it's for the store, a Mini will be a good look. It has everything you need and more for basic office functions. Plus, you'll be killing major behind the counter space with the G5.

• No, G5 monitor-thingy.

It is the lowest model on the G5. But like I said, basic office shit... Is it substantially bigger than a regular monitor though?

Oh if its a G5 all in one monitor jont then I would go for it resell of it has to be good since aren't those things going for like 1,800 new or something?

Id say go for the mini. That is if you already have a flat panel monitor and a keyboard and mouse to use.

Otherwise go for the imac g5

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    Is it substantially bigger than a regular monitor though?

I used one of those all-in-one's for a while; good looking, nice machines. Obviously it's thicker than a monitor, but doesn't take up that much extra space.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    i have the 20" imac g5. i love it.. barely takes up any space at all. no cord clutter either, (there's only three; monitor, mouse, keyboard).

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I just dropped this in another post, but fuck Mac hardware...

OSX on PC ya bastards!!!

HERE

• if you can get an imac G5 for $900 go for that. All in one and you're done son. (hey, who's got a guitar? I think I can freestyle!)

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    if you can get an imac G5 for $900 go for that. All in one and you're done son. (hey, who's got a guitar? I think I can freestyle!)

Would an imac G5 be worth getting for recording, or do you really have to have something beefier for a protools set up? I wouldlove an all-in-one, although I think a powerbook is the way I probably need to go (I'm out of space in here as it is). $900, though... that sounds like a good ass deal.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Yeah, if it's for the store, go for a macmini.
    Personaly, I have 3 G4 (one is a macmini).
    And as soon as I'll have the money I'll buy a G5, 2*2,7 GHz (the strongest) cause it's gonna be a real soon.
    This will be the last Mac G5. Nomore G5 after that one, so...

Go for a macmini.

10.4 is the ish!

Most definiety go with a G5 tower for recording. Expansion capabilities are a must. Will cost ya some bread though, but fuck man. worth it.

Or, hook up a G4 tower on teh cheap, and just upgrade to a G5 for around $300.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Jonny, I just picked up a Mac Mini (my first Mac purchase, I maintain Windows and Linux boxes for a living), and if you're doing simple office tasks and playing tunes, the Mini is the way to go. I have 2 desktop PCs at home running as servers, but I use the Mini as my main desktop, and the size factor has been a godsend, with all the computer and record clutter in my ' home office'.

Andi I recently read that Apple just upped the stock amount of RAM from 256 MB to 512 MB without changing the price point. But it was easy enough to upgrade the thing to 1 GB with Apple's official Mac Mini Case Opener:

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Jonny,
    please list the speeds of the processors. The minis come only in 1.25 and 1.42 GHz, and the iMac G5's come in 1.8 and 2 GHz (unless these are older models). The mini is a G4, so it's obviously slower than the iMac.

I would definitely choose a G5 imac over a mac mini - $400 more is nothing. Like you said, you'd have to pay extra for the monitor when you get a mini.

• G5 is 1.6 ghz, 256mb, 80gig, combo drive, 17"

For $100 more I can go 1.8 gig and superdrive. That sounds like the move.

Mac Mini is the base model, which is like $450, and I do not have a screen for it, so add at least $200 for that...

$400 is a big deal to me right now though.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    [quote
    For $100 more I can go 1.8 gig and superdrive. That sounds like the move.

so, this brings the price to $1000? hmm, I guess it's still a deal. Are you getting these from a reseller? Check Apple's site for current specs and prices:

$1,299.00

1.8GHz PowerPC G5
    17-inch widescreen LCD
    512MB DDR400 SDRAM
    160GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load Combo Drive

if money is the biggest issue, and you don't need to do processor intensive stuff, then the mini might be the move, just make sure you get a screen that "is a good look".

Actually, I would still go with the low-end iMac over the mini. The total package is what's up.

• They are factory refurbished, which have always been cool in my experience. The size is kind of an issue though. It is a small shop and a 17" display is like half of my free counter space.

Plus, $1000 is a lot different than $700................. but that super drive sounds good.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    dude go with the G5 imac. When it comes down to it you can use them both in the same respect.