Rap You're Liking

Comments

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Kinda feelin Young Fathers out of Glasgow.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Junior said:
    I see Trel's Nightmare On E Street came out last night. Haven't heard it yet but hoping for a couple of tracks somewhere near the level of this, which is amazing.

I couldn't get into the April Foolz tape at all..this is better than most of that, but not sure if he stands out from the rest of the dudes doing this flow.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    bassie said:
    Junior said:
    I see Trel's Nightmare On E Street came out last night. Haven't heard it yet but hoping for a couple of tracks somewhere near the level of this, which is amazing.

I couldn't get into the April Foolz tape at all..this is better than most of that, but not sure if he stands out from the rest of the dudes doing this flow.

Yeah I get where you're coming from. I liked April Foolz but I haven't had my expected moment of epiphany with him yet to full get on the bandwagon. That track works better to my ears as giving Trel a personal identity as, as much as I'm a fan of his sound, I don't really need any additional rappers jumping on the Luger production at this point. Considering what feels like a very slow trickle of exciting music the last few months though I am extremely eager to be sold on him when I finally get round to listening to the full tape.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Two guys who are hanging out at the same record shop like me are about to release their album.
    Not the reinvention of the wheel, but quite nice nontheless:

Let the euro rap hatt begin. Batmon, HarveyCanal, anyone?

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    not new but not that old either

Haha! Really! Skipping over a couple songs for sure, but yea.

funkfromthesun said:
    Really feeling those Boldy James tapes.

Trapper's Alley - yes.
    The other one, not as much. Not at all actually.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

bassie said:
    funkfromthesun said:
    Really feeling those Boldy James tapes.

Trapper's Alley - yes.
    The other one, not as much. Not at all actually.

Yeah a real disappointment - it's a lengthy as Trapper's Alley but I couldn't find a single track that grabbed me. I know that Trapper's Alley was put together over quite a lengthy period so it may be that he's since moved onto a style that no longer appeals to me or, more hopefully, that this was a rushed release to cash in on his new popularity and that there's better to come.

Killer Mike has been a bit disappointing of late but this is giving me hope for his new release.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I should grab Trapper's Alley then, because I thought Consignment was pretty good - nothing groundbreaking, but solid and listenable.

Quite a lot of YouTube clips are blocked in Germany, so I had to use a different browser to see what that Killer Mike clip was, in case it was from that El-P collabo he's got coming out. I'm actually quite interested to hear that - about the most surprising thing someone like El-P could do right now is make a straight-up rap record, but I don't expect he'll deviate too far from the niche he's carved out for himself.

Speaking of Company Flow-related matters, I just reviewed the new Bigg Jus for a future issue of Q, and it's odd to me how a record so defiantly abstract and uncompromising can be completely bereft of surprises. Anyone who still flips for that late-period CoFlow style with the verbose lyrics and the beats that sound like an entire block of houses collapsing will love it. The rest of the world, perhaps not so much.

Yeah definitely grab a copy of Trapper's Alley Doc, it's got a far more diverse collection of beats and themes that disguised the slightly one dimensional aspect of James and made it one of the more exciting mixtapes I heard last year. The first half in particular is really good, think it should still be on DatPiff.

As far as I'm aware Big Beast is the fast official release from the Killer Mike/El-P album but this has also been floating around which sounds a bit more like a traditional El-P track circa Little Johnny.

Though it's also nowhere near as exciting as the Big Beast throwback.

I was wondering the other day if this somewhat unexpected collaboration album had anything to do with Exquire's use of El-P beats on his mixtape or whether it was a happy coincidence as probably been a good ten years since I was following anything that had his name involved.

That Bigg Jus is kind of horrible.

Smug sarcasm is good for something after all - I've been meaning to put Hodgy Beats' Untitled EP in the thread - thanks for the reminder!
    In a Dream is already on my Best of 2012 list, but the whole EP is solid.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Really like this cats style....

Junior said:
    I promise this will be the last time I mention him in this thread (this week) but everyone needs to go download the latest Tree release, Sunday School, right now. His beat production and voice are creating a unique body of work right now. Personally more excited by him than pretty much anyone else out there at the moment.
    http://www.datpiff.com/Tree-Sunday-School-mixtape.324216.html

I finally got to this last night - yea, it's really really good. He does the the production as well? Song arrangement and sound quality are stellar. Thanks so much for posting this guy.

I've been playing the shit out of this track from the Dripped Up tape, too.

Tree - 50 Stax

Yea - Ka.

Here's the video for that Summer track. Dude has great looking videos, too.

• DocMccoy - yeah, I heard that new Jus. I'll always check for him & he rarely fails to deliver but I guess I know what you're saying

Still playing the last Third Sight a lot (big up Tommy for getting a beat on there - I remember you mentioning that years ago!) lots of Gurp city. Recent guys - Marq Spekt came nice on Machete Vision, though that's been out a minute too. Always going to check for Gurp City. Looking forward to new El-P as well as obviously the aforementioned Killer Mike which is sounding superb. New Aesoprock will definitely get love. I'm probably most looking forward to Prince Paul & RA the Rugged Man, to be totally honest.

Got the Quakers the other day. Some hot beats on it but I honestly think I had built up my expectations too high thanks to Portishead remixes of Nine, Gravediggaz etc. and creating some kind of picture in my mind of BEAK> with emcees on it... I guess I was expecting something more akin to the vocal tracks on the Heliocentrics album

bassie said:
    Junior said:
    I promise this will be the last time I mention him in this thread (this week) but everyone needs to go download the latest Tree release, Sunday School, right now. His beat production and voice are creating a unique body of work right now. Personally more excited by him than pretty much anyone else out there at the moment.
    http://www.datpiff.com/Tree-Sunday-School-mixtape.324216.html

I finally got to this last night - yea, it's really really good. He does the the production as well? Song arrangement and sound quality are stellar. Thanks so much for posting this guy.

I've been playing the shit out of this track from the Dripped Up tape, too.

Tree - 50 Stax

Pleased you're enjoying him! Yeah all the production is his as well which is what really sold me on him. He's one of the few artists around at the moment who seems to understand how to use the beats he's making to the best effect.
    I think I mentioned it before but would also highly recommend the EP he produced for Tone Skeeta which you can grab here (think there's at least one track from it on that Dripped Up comp) and also the collaborative EPs he did with Big Wiz and Nemesis.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    bassie said:

TRANNY RAP?

Latest Playboy Tre mixtape pretty much confirms that my expectations of anything appearing in the future like Goodbye America should be buried for good.

On the plus side hadn't heard this before which was included as a bonus track and is rather special.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    bassie said:
    Yea - Ka.

wow

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    new(ish)? A$AP Rocky video/song

not mad

NSFW = BOOBIES

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    madison wi stand up!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts