(remember the) Program -- LA related.

Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Random rememberance:About five or six years back, I went to this record store in LA off of Hollywood run by a little (asian?) woman. It was just a tiny little shop, but there were some great overpriced records in there. I'm talking 50 dollars for Battle of the Bands (Turtles.) Well, I bought a couple of things from her (no turtles) becasue I still had money in those days and she gave me this flier for 'the Program.' On the flier was none other than Pete Rock and Doctor Dre standing next to her holding thier Last Poets LPs. I wish I still had the flier. Anyway, the program was this service where you could borrow any record you wanted and then buy it I suppose. I believe it was in conjuction with LA's A1, a store I never went to for poltical reasons. My question is, did anyone ever join 'the Program' or get propositioned to join?

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    That's Kevin who does that deal. The woman you met is Monet, his wife. You should really go back there and start up a conversation with Kevin, it's fun.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    That's Kevin who does that deal. The woman you met is Monet, his wife. You should really go back there and start up a conversation with Kevin, it's funny.

• Random rememberance:

About five or six years back, I went to this record store in LA off of Hollywood run by a little (asian?) woman. It was just a tiny little shop, but there were some great overpriced records in there. I'm talking 50 dollars for Battle of the Bands (Turtles.) Well, I bought a couple of things from her (no turtles) becasue I still had money in those days and she gave me this flier for 'the Program.' On the flier was none other than Pete Rock and Doctor Dre standing next to her holding thier Last Poets LPs. I wish I still had the flier.

Anyway, the program was this service where you could borrow any record you wanted and then buy it I suppose. I believe it was in conjuction with LA's A1, a store I never went to for poltical reasons. My question is, did anyone ever join 'the Program' or get propositioned to join?

that reminds me of the one and only time i had ever been to A-1 in LA. I went in and basically was shooed about ten minutes later for allegedly being a CIA agent. i never quite got why. the dude in there was crazy.

bought a rinked 'curtis live' from him yesterday at the buena park show. the side with mighty spade and whitey seems to play alright though. always has his wife up in there too.

• beirutbeirut 14 Posts
    You should really go back there and start up a conversation with Kevin, it's fun.
    that is, if you have a couple hours to spare.

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    Kevin is the Man behind Dr Dre and his whole "Sound"!And the whole G-Funk sound so the story goes.Just ask him,he'll tell ya.And yup,it's funny.

You should really go back there and start up a conversation with Kevin, it's fun.
    that is, if you have a couple hours to spare.

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Is there 12 steps in this program??

if by "steps" you mean "mind numbing inescapable conversations" then yes...actually, quite a few more than 12.

• beirutbeirut 14 Posts

if by "steps" you mean "mind numbing inescapable conversations" then yes...actually, quite a few more than 12.
    lol there isn't a spare second of silence in between his ramblings to give you an opening to tell him you have to go. you just have to blatantly interrupt him and tell him, or you'll never leave his store.

• Kevin is the Man behind Dr Dre and his whole "Sound"!And the whole G-Funk sound so the story goes.Just ask him,he'll tell ya.And yup,it's funny.

As well as, A Tribe Called Quest...

Damn, that dude had stories for days.

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts

Kevin's a nice person. He told me his story thhe first day I met him and then he showed me his autographed pics and a script he did. He wanted me to proof it and re-work it. I was supposed to meet him every morning at 7am at the Kinkos in Hollywood. Too bad my car died the next day and I was rideless for a few months.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    That's Kevin who does that deal. The woman you met is Monet, his wife. You should really go back there and start up a conversation with Kevin, it's fun.

Do not feed the sharks[/b]

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Kevin's a nice person. He told me his story thhe first day I met him and then he showed me his autographed pics and a script he did. He wanted me to proof it and re-work it. I was supposed to meet him every morning at 7am at the Kinkos in Hollywood. Too bad my car died the next day and I was rideless for a few months.

haha he fed me the same bullshit about 5 years ago when I first went in. I mentioned I was a film major and I had just completed a digital short film. He came back at me saying he had some script that based on the Iran-Contra affair. He then went on to say he had info that could sink some serious people in washington and he really wanted t get this movie made...

...but in the end nothing happened. I guess he'd rather sell records at the booth next to me at the Buena Park record show

yeah he is a nice person, but he also ran that same bullshit on me to do graphic design on these reissues he was supposedly putting out. FREAKED out when I was leaving to England on tour for 4 months because "I'm going to press in 2 weeks!!"...of course he hadn't even mastered the stuff but he was getting vinyl pressed in 2 weeks [/rolling eyes] here we are a year later and he still hasn't done em.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    FREAKED out when I was leaving to England on tour for 4 months because "I'm going to press in 2 weeks!!"...of course he hadn't even mastered the stuff but he was getting vinyl pressed in 2 weeks [/rolling eyes] here we are a year later and he still hasn't done em.

Well if you hadn't up and gone to England without telling him that shit would have come out already, you fucker.

I had the same kind of experience with J. Robert Wagoner, director of AVENGING DISCO GODFATHER. He wanted me to give me opinions on the (really bad) script he was working on, do graphic design for some gospel group (that ended up "screwing him"), and finally accused me of spying for UNC because he was suing them for racial discrimination. In the meantime I got to hear him ramble for an hour or two not about Rudy Ray Moore, but vintage Stradivarius violins or something equally narcosis-inducing. He also wore a doctors' facemask all the time but I never asked him why. People make the world go round, that's for sure.

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts

yeah he is a nice person, but he also ran that same bullshit on me to do graphic design on these reissues he was supposedly putting out. FREAKED out when I was leaving to England on tour for 4 months because "I'm going to press in 2 weeks!!"...of course he hadn't even mastered the stuff but he was getting vinyl pressed in 2 weeks [/rolling eyes] here we are a year later and he still hasn't done em.

Heh heh...yeah I remember calling him the morning I was supposed to meet him to cancel and I don't think he was waiting at Kinkos. I had to remind him. Then the next time I went to his spot near Highland and Hollywood (not A-1, his other spot) he treated me like a stranger...no acknowledgement. I bought my vinyl and bounced. Ain't been back since. This was roughly 4 yrs ago.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    HAHAHAHHAHA this story again..... What you think I'm a bank of america....

• DO I LOOK LIKE BANK OF AMERICA
    DO I LOOK LIKE BANK OF AMERICA

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    there isn't a spare second of silence in between his ramblings to give you an opening to tell him you have to go. you just have to blatantly interrupt him and tell him, or you'll never leave his store.
    there isn't a spare second of silence in between his ramblings to give you an opening to tell him you have to go. you just have to blatantly interrupt him and tell him, or you'll never leave his store.