TRADES

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited April 2005 in Record Collecting
How many of you out there trade records these days? I probably trade like twice a year and only with homies. Too much song and dance involved for me... You get on someone's ballz about wanting a record and they expect the fucking sun, moon, and stars. It's much easier for me to outbid some dude on eBay... or better... swap MP3s.DISCUSS

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    trading is fun. i want my shelly manne back.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    trading is fun. i want my shelly manne back.

What's up with the mad flakey ring worm on the back of Axe - Seriously Deep? Worth a $10 Manne addition if you asked me.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I've done some cool trades with dudes on here.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    ring worm on the back of Axe - Seriously Deep?

you fuckin OCD types... jeez

• hows was edison ? interested in war news records,edgar allen poe stories lp,gangbusters,sound effect records.ect

hows was edison ? interested in war news records,edgar allen poe stories lp,gangbusters,sound effect records.ect

I was in Piscataway on Thursday... bought 105 records for 2 bills. Meters - Struttin', Meters - S/T, First Kool and the Gang, Bohannon - Stop and Go... not a bad haul at all.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    trades can work out good for everyone: but it's usually best if they are done in person - there's a few local cats around here that I swap with - one even takes 45s in trade for 'raer greens'...

long distance trades often run like:

'you want this?'

'yeah'

'what do you have?'

'well, what are you looking for?'

ad infinitum....

---

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Usually only with the hommies, maybe a handful of times a year... whenever I offer a record in the, say, $50 range on SoulStrut, dudes wanna nickel and dime me with ten $5 records...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    "trading down"

"trading down"

Saying though.

My personal rule is that if you want one of my pieces you better come with no more than two of your own.

"trading down"

Saying though.

My personal rule is that if you want one of my pieces you better come with no more than two of your own.

Seriously though... I should have been more specific about on-line trades. I get foreign guys sending me sound clips and no titles... I do a bit of wet mouthing and the guys got me doing a tapdance trying to fork over trades...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    "trading down"

Saying though.

Seriously though... I should have been more specific about on-line trades. I get foreign guys sending me sound clips and no titles... I do a bit of wet mouthing and the guys got me doing a tapdance trying to fork over trades...

sometimes you gotta take a step back.

ain't no particular record so important that I'm gonna romance some dude for it.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    trades can work out good for everyone: but it's usually best if they are done in person - there's a few local cats around here that I swap with - one even takes 45s in trade for 'raer greens'...

long distance trades often run like:

'you want this?'

'yeah'

'what do you have?'

'well, what are you looking for?'

ad infinitum....

---

Yep In person only.

"Is this your trade pile?"
    "Yes"
    "here is my trade pile"

Real easy.

• Seriously though... I should have been more specific about on-line trades. I get foreign guys sending me sound clips and no titles... I do a bit of wet mouthing and the guys got me doing a tapdance trying to fork over trades...

I don't trade if I don't get an artist & title. Maybe it's good for producers, but a 10-second 24-kbps realaudio break doesn't tell me very much.

I've had pretty good luck trading with people on this board... probably bought from or traded with 2 dozen of the regulars. The bigger problem lately is I haven't found enough good titles to trade,

A lot of the stuff I want rid of isn't of the good trade variety, that's the stuff that ebay's good for. Unless people are willing to turn minimal house 12"s into free jazz raers.

I don't trade if I don't get an artist & title. Maybe it's good for producers, but a 10-second 24-kbps realaudio break doesn't tell me very much.

I've had pretty good luck trading with people on this board... probably bought from or traded with 2 dozen of the regulars. The bigger problem lately is I haven't found enough good titles to trade,

A lot of the stuff I want rid of isn't of the good trade variety, that's the stuff that ebay's good for. Unless people are willing to turn minimal house 12"s into free jazz raers.

Oh yeah, I forgot--I actually have had some good trade experiences with ol' handcorkassrock.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This will sound "tubeaux", but I've made some good eFriends throught trading records here. I think having similar taste is key. It's great when you can be like "hey dude, I found an extra copy of this. You will dig it.", etc. It's ideal when you don't worry about always getting "the better deal", and if something is not totally even you can carry it over till the next time. That said, some people are just totally impossible to trade with. period. If I ge a bad feeling from someone I tend to just blow it off.

Now, what I wanna know is how come everytime I need some $10 record & I post in the trade forum no one ever "has my back"? I've sent you bastards covers when you needed 'em & all kinda shit! weak...

This will sound "tubeaux", but I've made some good eFriends throught trading records here. I think having similar taste is key. It's great when you can be like "hey dude, I found an extra copy of this. You will dig it.", etc. It's ideal when you don't worry about always getting "the better deal", and if something is not totally even you can carry it over till the next time. That said, some people are just totally impossible to trade with. period. If I ge a bad feeling from someone I tend to just blow it off.

Now, what I wanna know is how come everytime I need some $10 record & I post in the trade forum no one ever "has my back"? I've sent you bastards covers when you needed 'em & all kinda shit! weak...

Crink... I found the Dionne Warwick Moder Soul killer last week for $2. Thank you for pulling your auction.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    King Moist and I were able to work out a fine trade last fall. Saul good on this side, plus it's kind fun, the whole process that is. Reviewing each others lists, making offers, doing creative packaging, etc.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    How many of you out there trade records these days? I probably trade like twice a year and only with homies. Too much song and dance involved for me... You get on someone's ballz about wanting a record and they expect the fucking sun, moon, and stars. It's much easier for me to outbid some dude on eBay... or better... swap MP3s.

DISCUSS

I cosign with aggression on this one hommie. I'd rather just buy and hoard.

• I've done a couple of cool trades with folks on here too, but for the most part, it's the song and dance described above. Someone asking me what I have is kinda like asking the DJ what he has when he doesn't have your specific request.

My problem is that I've been paring down my collection (no hoard-o), so I don't have "extras" of many things. "Do you have _____?" Yeah, but only one copy. And if it's still in my home after the last three purgings, it's probably gonna stay there.

I've done a couple of cool trades with folks on here too, but for the most part, it's the song and dance described above. Someone asking me what I have is kinda like asking the DJ what he has when he doesn't have your specific request.

My problem is that I've been paring down my collection (no hoard-o), so I don't have "extras" of many things. "Do you have Buck 65[/b]?" Yeah, but only one copy. And if it's still in my home after the last three purgings, it's probably gonna stay there.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I've traded a few times with dudes on this board (The_Mack, Guzzo, Reynaldo, Bizzo, and maybe a couple others) and I've been satisfied every time.

My only gripe is when I offer LPs for trade and all I get are PMs saying, "What do you want for that?" I feel that if you want a specific LP from someone, it's your responsibility to make an offer.

Guzzo

I heard--and I'm not saying from who--that that dude gives bad trade!

• "Do you have Buck 65[/b]?" Yeah, but only one copy. And if it's still in my home after the last three purgings, it's probably gonna stay there.

Yeah, I feel like you ripped me off on that one.

Can I trade it back to you for my old copy of "Electric Circus"?

Crink... I found the Dionne Warwick Moder Soul killer last week for $2. Thank you for pulling your auction.

DOPE!

DOPE!

A sidenote: has anybody else noticed these crink types on eBay billing records as "NORTHERN MODERN SOUL"?

OK... another trade scenario that is the weak sauce.

Homie finds a double of a certain grail and wants to work out a trade. You throw a lot of great music in and he seems satisfied... Fast forward a few days and he sees it goes for 3 bills on eBay and all of a sudden he's trying to extort more shit out of you... because due to his calculations all the records you relinquished ='s about $150 worth.

• OK... another trade scenario that is the weak sauce.

Homie finds a double of a certain grail and wants to work out a trade. You throw a lot of great music in and he seems satisfied... Fast forward a few days and he sees it goes for 3 bills on eBay and all of a sudden he's trying to extort more shit out of you... because due to his calculations all the records you relinquished ='s about $150 worth.

"Yo, you tryin' to rip me off, RAJ? According to my man RECSIM, that's a $317.88 record!"

DOPE!

A sidenote: has anybody else noticed these crink types on eBay billing records as "NORTHERN MODERN SOUL"?

haha! "crink types"...

Oh yeah, DON'T KNOW IT BITCH!!![/b]

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

twice so far me, digdug, marco, and a couple of other dudes have had a good trading/listening/drinking night. have made pretty good trades like that both with hooking people up and getting stuff. it's good when there's several people all trading cause then you can make with the complicated 4-way trades with 2008 draft picks involved and shit like that.