What do you think about the NBA dress code?

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
The NBA announced a minimum dress code for players while arriving at or leaving games or making promotional appearances. The code goes into effect at the start of the regular season. Commissioner David Stern is expected to announce the penalty for dress code violations next week. (Word is, fines and then suspensions for repeat offenders) Here are some of the rules:Banned:[/b]??? Sleeveless shirts??? Shorts??? T-shirts??? Chains, pendants, or medallions worn over the player's clothes??? Sunglasses while indoors??? Headphones (other than on team bus or plane, or in team locker room)??? Jerseys, baseball caps for postgame news conferencesRequired:[/b]??? A long-/short-sleeved dress shirt (collared or turtleneck) and/or sweater??? Dress slacks, khaki pants or dress jeans??? Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes, dress boots or other presentable shoes, but not including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work bootsFAIR OR FOUL?[/b]

Comments

• Options
    Next they'll be playing inslacks. Seems an infringement on their civil liberty if you ask me.

K.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    They should come out and just say...

"We love your skills but hate your culture"

• Options
    ...and with the long season and madatory promotional appointments (team/NBA) and players trying to get a little extra, they'll be in that 90% of the year.

Throwback Jersey Inc (TJI) down $14.97 in heavy trading[/i]

K.

• I'm not a big sports fan, but it seems pretty lame. No chains or pendants? Come on. I'm surprised there isn't some sort of backlash. Maybe there is.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm not a big sports fan, but it seems pretty lame. No chains or pendants? Come on. I'm surprised there isn't some sort of backlash. Maybe there is.

• They should come out and just say...

Bingo

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    NBA players Union is one of the craziest Unions around. They still wont allow thier players to be drug-tested for the Weed, yet they agree to Dockers requirements on the bus. I think they are going for the more NFL-team look. Have you ever seen an NFL team get off a bus or a plane? They look like a bunch of businesss men on a golf vacation.

• NBA players Union is one of the craziest Unions around. They still wont allow thier players to be drug-tested for the Weed, yet they agree to Dockers requirements on the bus. I think they are going for the more NFL-team look. Have you ever seen an NFL team get off a bus or a plane? They look like a bunch of businesss men on a golf vacation.

did you just call it "the weed"?

• "We love your skills but hate your culture"

huge co-

but as D. Stern puts it: "the players get 56 cents of every dollar and we're just trying to get more dollars"

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    NO, I did NOT call it "the Weed". That would be totally uncool.

• NO, I did NOT call it "the Weed". That would be totally uncool.

I thought it was cool but the caps lock online yelling is whackadaba.

• They should come out and just say...

Bingo

i think it was unnecessary for the NBA to impose a "don't list", but i can't see anything wrong with requiring that players dress professionally. wearing a shirt and tie is a formal look (not a culture thing)... you wouldnt see AI or Lebron at a wedding rocking a mitchell and ness jersey.

it also seems disrepectful when you see a guy on the sidelines dressed in sweatpants..its like he doesn't really give a shit about supporting his team in that he just showed up to the arena in whatever gear he already had on.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'm not a big sports fan, but it seems pretty lame. No chains or pendants? Come on. I'm surprised there isn't some sort of backlash. Maybe there is.

From what I heard, chains and be worn, but must be inside your shirt.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    The NBA announced a minimum dress code for players while arriving at or leaving games or making promotional appearances. The code goes into effect at the start of the regular season. Commissioner David Stern is expected to announce the penalty for dress code violations next week. (Word is, fines and then suspensions for repeat offenders)

Here are some of the rules:

Banned:[/b]

??? Sleeveless shirts

??? Shorts

??? T-shirts

??? Chains, pendants, or medallions worn over the player's clothes

??? Sunglasses while indoors

??? Headphones (other than on team bus or plane, or in team locker room)

??? Jerseys, baseball caps for postgame news conferences

Required:[/b]

??? A long-/short-sleeved dress shirt (collared or turtleneck) and/or sweater

??? Dress slacks, khaki pants or dress jeans

??? Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes, dress boots or other presentable shoes, but not including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots

FAIR OR FOUL?[/b]

Isn't this pretty much standard rules in most world-wide sports organizations? - Time for the US teams to start acting like the professionals that they are.

Culture?... you can leave that on the blacktop - don't bring it to the parquet.

Call me a hatter, whatever... sabadabada.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i think its pathetic that it even has to be spelled out like that. Don't the players know any better. Even in highschool they make you wear a tie on game days.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    [but i can't see anything wrong with requiring that players dress professionally.

They do...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

"No Chains! Next thing you know they are gonna start calling carrying."

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    this seems a bit ridiculous, is what they are wearing to the games really effect the attendance?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    The NBA announced a minimum dress code for players while arriving at or leaving games or making promotional appearances. The code goes into effect at the start of the regular season. Commissioner David Stern is expected to announce the penalty for dress code violations next week. (Word is, fines and then suspensions for repeat offenders)

??? Sleeveless shirts

??? Shorts

??? T-shirts

??? Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes, dress boots or other presentable shoes, but not including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots

FAIR OR FOUL?[/b]

Isn't this pretty much standard rules in most world-wide sports organizations? - Time for the US teams to start acting like the professionals that they are.

I think it is reasonable. I think all sports teams should have this.Isnt the NFL's dress code a mandatory thing?

You got to think man, these people are role models. Looking and acting professional is nice. Nothing wrong with it. Now, it would be fucked up if it was ONLY the NBA and no other sports leagues.

• The NBA announced a minimum dress code for players while arriving at or leaving games or making promotional appearances. The code goes into effect at the start of the regular season. Commissioner David Stern is expected to announce the penalty for dress code violations next week. (Word is, fines and then suspensions for repeat offenders)

??? Sleeveless shirts

??? Shorts

??? T-shirts

FAIR OR FOUL?[/b]

I think it is reasonable. I think all sports teams should have this.Isnt the NFL's dress code a mandatory thing?

You got to think man, these people are role models. Looking and acting professional is nice. Nothing wrong with it. Now, it would be fucked up if it was ONLY the NBA and no other sports leagues.

They're not role models, they're basketball players. If you can't find a better role model for your kids outside of the professional sports, you're not looking hard enough...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

They're not role models, they're basketball players. If you can't find a better role model for your kids outside of the professional sports, you're not looking hard enough AT ALL...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Basketball is a "sport" requiring only that players wear uniforms while playing.

The NBA is a "business" which has a limited right to extend it's control beyond the court so as to portray an image which is wholesome and professional.

Anyone suggesting that there's some type of cultural implication (read: racism) surrounding this is being simple minded.

simple minded? here? Noooooooo!

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

They're not role models, they're basketball players. If you can't find a better role model for your kids outside of the professional sports, you're not looking hard enough...

I never said they should be, or that i preffered them to be role models, but lets face it, THEY ARE.

just stating the facts on that one, no opinion.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Did anyone hear Phil Jackson ripping hip-hop culture in reference to this? He was not nice. I have to say that I am of two minds about the whole thing. I think its silly to tell grown men what to wear. But at the same time, I bemoan the macho/rebellion of youth culture in general today. I suppose it is no different from any other post WWII era. But for lots of kids not being able to buy into middle class cultural values (wearing "boring" clothes, aspiring to be a property owner) seems like a double edge sword that just continues to reinforce society's already racist views. Ghandi took an interesting approach to the cultural aspect of liberation. He was at once at very traditional person (piety, diet, ayuverdic medicine) who felt that Indians needed to take more personal repsonsibility by adopting certain western attitudes around development and organization. Few people know that he spent years talking about issues like sanitation in villages, etc. I would love hip-hop to remain true to its outsider status but adopt a more forward looking philosophy. One that might even begin to draw some of us old fucks into the mix. That said I think that Stern is doing this for the money/public image. This whole issue makes me realize how bought into the system I have become. Sorry for the rambling post.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    wholesome

• Im all for no sunglasses inside, for everyone, not just NBA players. I dont think the dress code is an attack on culture...these guys have been used to a shirt and tie on game days throughout their high school and college careers, I dont think the NBA is infringing on their civil liberties by saying "dont wear sunglasses inside and headphones on your head when making a promotional appearance". I think there is some slippery slope thinking going on in this thread.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    They're not role models, they're basketball players.

"I wanna be like Mike"

Not role models? Give-me-a-break! Go to any high school in American and look at the basketball courts and tell me these kids don't look up to Basketball players. I think you really mean they're not GOOD role models.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

They're not role models, they're basketball players. If you can't find a better role model for your kids outside of the professional sports, you're not looking hard enough AT ALL...

Serious I think this is kinda weak. So what if most jobs have dress codes.

Did anyone hear Phil Jackson ripping hip-hop culture in reference to this? He was not nice. I have to say that I am of two minds about the whole thing. I think its silly to tell grown men what to wear. But at the same time, I bemoan the macho/rebellion of youth culture in general today. I suppose it is no different from any other post WWII era. But for lots of kids not being able to buy into middle class cultural values (wearing "boring" clothes, aspiring to be a property owner) seems like a double edge sword that just continues to reinforce society's already racist views. Ghandi took an interesting approach to the cultural aspect of liberation. He was at once at very traditional person (piety, diet, ayuverdic medicine) who felt that Indians needed to take more personal repsonsibility by adopting certain western attitudes around development and organization. Few people know that he spent years talking about issues like sanitation in villages, etc. I would love hip-hop to remain true to its outsider status but adopt a more forward looking philosophy. One that might even begin to draw some of us old fucks into the mix. That said I think that Stern is doing this for the money/public image. This whole issue makes me realize how bought into the system I have become. Sorry for the rambling post.

its okay, i only read the first two sentences and the last.