Brooklyn/New York Based FUNK SOUL/DISCO HELP!!!

13»

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    passion records, brooklyn address. this is like 1980. i think it's good.

i think he was brooklyn based... the words "free malachi z. york" are spray painted in bright orange on the sidewalk outside my work...

• you got my brooklyn mix right p_gunn?

anybody know much about the brooklyn late-80s hip-hop label Bumrush?

• OK... I was tricked, bamboozled, lied to, hoodwinked... Malachi York is from Brooklyn, or at least lived there...

Damn devils...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Dr. York is brooklyn also...he did some early things before the mid-80s joints you always see that are quite good...this one roller-skating jam called "rollarock".

Don't know about the labels you're referring to but Dr. York was based in Harlem, pretty sure.

I don't know about any of Dr. York's releases being "quite good" musically; they are all, of course, "quite good" in the sense that they are works of divine truth.

The Roll-a-rock/Shake-n-Skate 12" he speaks of is most definately quite good in the musical sense. He definately pumped out a lot of so-so boogie jams too, though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    How right does a man have to be before you accept his divinity?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Dr. York is brooklyn also...he did some early things before the mid-80s joints you always see that are quite good...this one roller-skating jam called "rollarock".

Don't know about the labels you're referring to but Dr. York was based in Harlem, pretty sure.

I don't know about any of Dr. York's releases being "quite good" musically; they are all, of course, "quite good" in the sense that they are works of divine truth.

TRICKNOLOGY!

You would contest the wisdom of a man of such obviously divine personal style?

• James Lewis Fields "How Long Should I Wait" 45 on Top Pop is from Brooklyn.
    Eddy Jacobs Exchange were from Ft. Greene, play "Love (Your Pain Goes Deep)."

But Cos, please tell me you will NOT play "We Live In Brooklyn," because that shit is approaching Stevie Wonder worn played-doodoo status.

• but since he lives in brooklyn is any Roy Ayers up for grabs? or uno melodic joints?

• That James Lewis Fields 45 is so good. Did he ever do any other 45s?

Dress

• another good one: bon rock "b-boy" on in the mix (which is basically reelin' and rockin'). for my mix i used the boogie tune on the b-side "it's alright".

• Options
    Sammy Gordon & The Hip Huggers were from Brooklyn...

I just got a copy of their other 45 "Upstairs on Boston Road Pts 1&2" but haven't had a chance to scan it...

boston road is in the bronx...

the keeling bedford "love is the message rap" shouts out all the neighborhoods in BK

That's what that 12 Star record I posted is - just the B-side {Back to Back}.

K.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

TRICKNOLOGY!

900-pound gaux_rilla or not, if you believe that the Doctor is going to stand for this kind of grafted monkey business and mockery, then in the words of your tonsorial forefather Rob Halford,

you've got another thing coming.

DIVINE FACT: YOUR TALK OF "LIFESTYLE" IS COMPLETE FABRICATION: YOU HAVE NO JOB, NO YACHT, NO GIRLFRIEND--THERE IS ONLY YOU, YOUR DSL CONNECTION, AND YOUR HERMIT CRAB NAMED "BEYONCE."

DIVINE FACT: YOUR ACCEPTABLE BLACK MUSIC MIXTAPE IS NOT BEING FELT BY THE STREETS.

DIVINE FACT: YOU SWAT AT THE HOMELESS WITH ROLLED-UP BACK ISSUES OF SAVOY.

DIVINE FACT: YOUR GOVERNMENT NAME IS "JASON WATERFALLS."

The gawd could go on, but he respects you too much to put any more sharp weapons in the hands of your inferiors.

GO BACK TO YOUR LESSONS, IF NOT YOUR HABERDASHER!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    you got my brooklyn mix right p_gunn?

anybody know much about the brooklyn late-80s hip-hop label Bumrush?

no sir, heard about it, don't have it... hit me (also get at me with the 12"!)

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    And isn't Sidney Owens a Brooklyn record?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

TRICKNOLOGY!

900-pound gaux_rilla or not, if you believe that the Doctor is going to stand for this kind of grafted monkey business and mockery, then in the words of your tonsorial forefather Rob Halford,

you've got another thing coming.

DIVINE FACT: YOUR TALK OF "LIFESTYLE" IS COMPLETE FABRICATION: YOU HAVE NO JOB, NO YACHT, NO GIRLFRIEND--THERE IS ONLY YOU, YOUR DSL CONNECTION, AND YOUR HERMIT CRAB NAMED "BEYONCE."

DIVINE FACT: YOUR ACCEPTABLE BLACK MUSIC MIXTAPE IS NOT BEING FELT BY THE STREETS.

DIVINE FACT: YOU SWAT AT THE HOMELESS WITH ROLLED-UP BACK ISSUES OF SAVOY.

DIVINE FACT: YOUR GOVERNMENT NAME IS "JASON WATERFALLS."

The gawd could go on, but he respects you too much to put any more sharp weapons in the hands of your inferiors.

GO BACK TO YOUR LESSONS, IF NOT YOUR HABERDASHER!

What can a man do in the face of such a sonning but admit rhetorical castration?

• And isn't Sidney Owens a Brooklyn record?

Bronx. Engineered by Major Little, who later engineered the Tall, Dark & Handsome LP on B-Boy.

• hit me (also get at me with the 12"!)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Back in the 80's, my boy's record pool stack would always contain a new
    DR.YORK 12". We'd both say WTF/whoTF is this cat, gimmie some hiphop!