Brooklyn/New York Based FUNK SOUL/DISCO HELP!!!

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah the TSOB shit is gonna play a big part. Much less is Sam.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Cyndi Lauper & Mae West are from Greenpoint. Mashup potential right there.

• Black Rose is outta Brooklyn, so the Risco Connections joints.

• Options
    ????

, K.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Kev you're hilarious.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

label has artists from the Bay Area and NY... label also had offices in both places... tint of darkness was from here in the Bay. larry coney lives in the east bay, is very poor, and was the lead singer for the Relatives on Archway. other members included from groups the Mighty Passions and musicians that backed Harvey Scales. they recorded on a couple different labels here in the bay.

• Options
    Hollis is Queens, no?

K.

• Hollis is Queens, no?

K.

D'oh?!?! I guess I should have read that more carefully...

• Options
    I've never even been to New York, I just know about their records....and about Hollis 'cause of records too (Run DMC)

K.

• some brooklyn-label 45 heat off the top of my head:

jimmy jones, "say amen brother" (jody)
    big al & the star treks, "funky funk" (double m)
    lyn taitt, "steppin' up" (randy's)
    jablonski, "soul makossa" (randy's)
    uh...louie prima, "brooklyn boogie" (dot)

• lyn taitt, "steppin' up" (randy's)

please to bring lynn tait to memphis, if you play at Ponderosa stomp next year, I have been wanting that for awhile...also merle and the treats plaese

• Options
    Still looking for that for you. man, I found 4 of those in one year and then nothing since.

K.

• i recently made a mix of all brooklyn artists...it's mostly disco and some electro/boogie/house...maybe a couple of funk things. i can get you a copy if you want to check it out. lots of dope shit has come out of brooklyn!

• the bb and q band are an italo group produced by Jacques fred petrus and jacques morali...not a brooklyn group.

this thread makes me laugh because i went through all of this while working on my mix...if the area code is 718 is it brooklyn or queens? if the track is about brooklyn but it has a 212 area code do i include it? etc.

didn't realize rota was a brooklyn label...although it looks like from those scans that sometimes it's a 212 and sometimes brooklyn.

anything on jus born is brooklyn as is the reelin' and rockin' label.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

anything on jus born is brooklyn as is the reelin' and rockin' label.

i got some reelin & rockin with a jersey adress

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    Check out the song by FATBACK called ALL DAY.And i think DJ TONY HUMPHREY is from BK.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Todd Terry

Frankie Bones

• Sammy Gordon & The Hip Huggers were from Brooklyn...

I just got a copy of their other 45 "Upstairs on Boston Road Pts 1&2" but haven't had a chance to scan it...

• i have an early 80s boogie 12" on lu lu that i used on my mix! Barbara Joyce "Message in the Love"

• Don't know if it was mentioned already but Fatback (noDenmarkVZ) is from Brooklyn...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Sammy Gordon & The Hip Huggers were from Brooklyn...

I just got a copy of their other 45 "Upstairs on Boston Road Pts 1&2" but haven't had a chance to scan it...

boston road is in the bronx...

the keeling bedford "love is the message rap" shouts out all the neighborhoods in BK

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Don't know if it was mentioned already but MANDRILL is from Brooklyn...

• Don't know if it was mentioned already but MANDRILL is from Brooklyn...

"Just Outside Of Town"?

• Dr. York is brooklyn also...he did some early things before the mid-80s joints you always see that are quite good...this one roller-skating jam called "rollarock".

• Dr. York is brooklyn also...he did some early things before the mid-80s joints you always see that are quite good...this one roller-skating jam called "rollarock".

Don't know about the labels you're referring to but Dr. York was based in Harlem, pretty sure.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Dr. York is brooklyn also...he did some early things before the mid-80s joints you always see that are quite good...this one roller-skating jam called "rollarock".

Don't know about the labels you're referring to but Dr. York was based in Harlem, pretty sure.

I don't know about any of Dr. York's releases being "quite good" musically; they are all, of course, "quite good" in the sense that they are works of divine truth.

• passion records, brooklyn address. this is like 1980. i think it's good.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Dr. York is brooklyn also...he did some early things before the mid-80s joints you always see that are quite good...this one roller-skating jam called "rollarock".

I don't know about any of Dr. York's releases being "quite good" musically; they are all, of course, "quite good" in the sense that they are works of divine truth.

TRICKNOLOGY!