Brooklyn/New York Based FUNK SOUL/DISCO HELP!!!

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I've been contacted recently by an organization that is enlisting DJs from around the world to do internet based mixes of music from particular cities. Each DJ will be doing a mix that highlights the music/sound of that city - for instance, DJ JOE BLOW from SALT LAKE CITY will be doing a mix of music from Salt Lake City, DJ DUDEMATIC from LISBON will be doing a mix of music from Lisbon, etc. Herein lays my problem. When I was contacted I accepted this task under the assumtion that they wanted me to rep my hometown of Philadelphia. This would be no problem for me, whereas I have tons of Philly hip-hop/funk/soul etc. However, they just made it clear to me that they actually asked me to be the rep for New York. That is quite a problem for me because I've only lived in New York for about 3 years now, and I don't fully have a grasp of the history of soulful music (FUNK, SOUL, DISCO) as it came from this fine city of mine. Other than some of the major labels that were based out of NY, I really don't know much. Also, New York is so big that I'm sure there's tons, but I just don't know where to start.So I thought that maybe I would try to narrow down the field a little bit, and focus on Brooklyn - the borough and city of my current residence. I know a little bit more about Brooklyn and it's musical heritage, but not by much. And so I am asking this proper request from the people at Soulstrut: Would you fine ladies and gentlemen, who are music scholars leagues beyond me, help me try to formulate a cohesive list of music from Brooklyn artists and/or things recorded in Brooklyn? I really could use the help. I want to do this mix, and I was given the opportunity to do it as a Philly theme, but I would rather do the BK, and I was saving a Philly themed mix for another project.So any and all help would be much appreciated. Like I said, I know most of the bigger names & groups. I'm actually looking for more obscure funk titles now (particularly break heavy if possible) as well as disco tunes that are funky, or disco-rap tunes (TSOB style.)Thanks.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    bt express

and i have some extremly raRE ER EST boogie /disco 45s that no one has
    that cook
    if you need files lemme know

Yeah like I said I'm pretty aware of most of the popular groups, it's the obscure jawns I would like. You can PM me if you want to keep secrets.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Is playing rare a good idea, though? It would make more sense to play the so-called classics -- the ones that don't suck, at least.

Or don't they want a populist's mix?

Edit: Never mind.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Well it's going to be across the board, hip-hop, r&b, funk, disco etc... just trying to sort out my options.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    can't say for sure if it's bk specific, but I think of ny when I listen to this.....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hey dude, pretty sure Patrick Adams and P&P stuff were all Uptown (Harlem) based.

FYI: WATCH YOUR MAILBOX

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    get mafrica to send you an mp3 of c fortune & j brinson on interstate... its outta bk and the tune is called "hipster" youre gonna like it.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Panach "sweet music"?

or perhaps things off uno melodic like bobbi humphrey "baby don't you know'. The label was based in bk no?

I shall check my mail right aboot nooo...

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Well it's going to be across the board, hip-hop, r&b, funk, disco etc... just trying to sort out my options.

Not stupid rare or anything but those Cut Master DC tracks are dope and provide endless Brooklyn-related call-and-response and make me want to turn them up very loud each time they come on.

Brooklyn Rocks The Best
    Brooklyn's in the House

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Pretty common but,

BBQ Band. Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens Band

Crown Heights Affair - "Far Out" is always a dope disco joint to drop.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Pretty common but,

BBQ Band. Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens Band

Crown Heights Affair - "Far Out" is always a dope disco joint to drop.

Yeah got them jawns.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Each DJ will be doing a mix that highlights the music/sound of that city -

Maybe I'm not understanding the point of this project. But if you are highlighting the city's sound, this is most accurate:

I don't remember nyc being about obscure 7" boogie pressings as much as it was about those labels and others which were unintentionally laying down the blueprints with thier classic records

(which ultimately inspired the more obscure music that no one cared about, except maybe brits and a select group of record collectors that started caring about it at present day)

Do you think you may be creating your own fantasy version of NYC if you dig too deep?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Pretty sure none of these imprints were specifically BK based, dude.

• Options

You'd know better if this was a BK address, than I.

and if you need BK roots, got that for days

K in Canada.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Completely in the dark about these right here but I know they must be tight if they get your approval.

I got the BK Express and a grip of Uno Melodica.

• Options
    Hold tight, i'll get youo some clips.

K.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Nice one K.

BTW Iverson, I thought you were assigned NYC? Well if you are deciding to do obscure BK boogie, then I suggest this heatrock:

"Slide Over" is a fantastic boogie tune on the flip. The side you are looking at is so original in it's sound, I would call it anything but "representative" of anything. Sort of eerie synth washed r&b. Try to find it if you don't already own it. It's a personal fave of mine that makes my

• Riverside is uptown...

Began Cekic/BC/OneWay was located near where I'm at now, in Kensington.

The address on Rota labels is a travel agency who don't know naan about no record label, but there's records in them thar skreeets

KEVIN. ROTA SCANS PLAESE

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    OK, if Kevin has ROTAs I don't know about I would like to see photos too plaese. In the meantime, here is a Rota that I am particularly fond of:

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Definitely Began Cekic if you're allowed bootlegs.

D-Train? You could make one about Brooklyn trains. Pete Rock - Take The D Train, and then Biggie taking the A Train to the Leff.

Other shit:

Digable Planets
    Fugees
    Chubb Rock
    Fort Greene Assassins

Antibalas, Dap, Desco, Truth & Soul ish

• Options
    OK, if Kevin has ROTAs I don't know about I would like to see photos too plaese. In the meantime, here is a Rota that I am particularly fond of:

NilKam/W.R. Kamarra has their name over a bunch of dope NY 12's/45's. I always find 45's of those guys with reggae records (likely due to Rota's West Indian link). I like that 12, as well.

K.

• Options
    this might be more recognizable

K in Canada.

Don't forget the 1980 Haitian Moder Soul out of Flatbush

• Include: Bad Medicine - Trespasser

• "New Life In Brooklyn" (Brooklyn Union Gas Cinderella Theme) - Willy Strickland

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    get mafrica to send you an mp3 of c fortune & j brinson on interstate... its outta bk and the tune is called "hipster" youre gonna like it.

Sorry to pick nits, but I'm pretty sure the 45 is actually by C. Fortur[/b]e & J. Brinson. Flip is "True Love". Just copped it.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Not stupid rare or anything but those Cut Master DC tracks are dope and provide endless Brooklyn-related call-and-response and make me want to turn them up very loud each time they come on.

Brooklyn Rocks The Best
    Brooklyn's in the House

HAHAHAHHA!

tsega and i bought dj magic's collection. i'm assuming you got that from him???? and it is true...brooklyn rocks the best!

what about roy c or third guitar??? i bet those are from manhattan but i'm not sure. i had this hasidic psych 45 by 'the reign', but i sold it. hmmmmm. let me look around, cosmopolitan. i may be able to scrounge up a lil summin.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    daddy love- gigi

str8 outta brooknam.............. FUNK........

TSOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, roller disco= skate dance=heat (smd records)

Slidin' to the Music/Mantus/12"/SMD

actually anything on SMD = brooklyn roller disco shit... ask SoulOnIce or crazypooprock!!!!!!!!

daddy love- gigi

str8 outta brooknam.............. FUNK........

TSOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, roller disco= skate dance=heat (smd records)

Slidin' to the Music/Mantus/12"/SMD

actually anything on SMD = brooklyn roller disco shit... ask SoulOnIce or crazypooprock!!!!!!!!

D'Oh, TSOB. Also SAM records was based in L.I.C - Borough Czech.... close enough. And I think One On One - Body Music (on Bonus) is a Brooklyn/Queens track.