The Barber Shop....

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
What's your cut? I know yall got stories...

High & Tight? The Bad breath Barber? Your Barber scratch his nuts and then grabs your head to cut? Playboys on the table? Barber that speaks to you in a diffrent language and you just smile and say yeah??? What's playing in the background????

Comments

• the barbershop across the street from me is open until like 3 or 4 in the AM, place is always packed.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I used to go to this barbershop at the mall by my old place and this old little Indian dude cut my hair. I swear to god he was the fastest with scissors I have ever seen this side of Edward Scissorhands. Dude would start cutting like 10cm away & then move in with the scissors going 100mph, a mass of chik..chik..chik..chik..chik. Fingers of fucking fury. Always had plasters on his fingers but never nicked me. Awesome. Now I get it cut at a barbershop by my new place but it's by like an old white trash lady with the personality of a brick, good haircut though.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    My man al will not get his hair cut on the west coast. Hes from patterson and insists on getting some haircut which he calls a "brooklyn". If he goes into a barbershop and they dont know what that is, he will leave.

From what I can tell its just like a half fade or something. I have white people hair so I go to supercuts or just get my friend simon to cut it. He used to be a barber in rhode island.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Now I get it cut at a barbershop by my new place but it's by like an old white trash lady with the personality of a brick, good haircut though.

There are no women at the barbershop--that is a "salon".

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Now I get it cut at a barbershop by my new place but it's by like an old white trash lady with the personality of a brick, good haircut though.

There are no women at the barbershop--that is a "salon".
    All I know is that it says Barbershop on the window, has the painted pole & stacks of old dudes waiting in line. Actually there was a thing on the news recently about how Barbershops are dying & that women in "Barbershops" is now the norm. Must be a fruity New Zealand issue.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I used to go to this $10 fades place cause they actually did a decent job. They used to keep a little rolodex on each customer so they knew what kind of cut they wanted.

Bad idea.

I go in there after growing my hair out from having it shaved, ask him to just give me a fade, trim the top a bit, etc.
    Dude says no problem. I seem him look at the rolodex, next thing I know he runs the clippers down the middle of my head.

Needless to say I never went back there again.

The dude who cuts my hair now is a few years older than me and cool as hell. First time I went in to get a cut we got to talking about music and he asked me if I had heard of DJ Qbert, Apollo etc.
    Now I just go over to his house to get hooked up (pasue) and pay him with music. Dude has allll kinds of old mixtapes too. Jorge is that dude.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    L***n,

what you know about Cholocuts in Hacienda Heights?

• I slide upstairs and see chuck at the chop shop. Tell him fade the sides let it woof on top.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I cut hair as a hobby, went to barber school when I was younger. Still cut my own hair too.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Sup Mango, good to see you back up in hurr. The rigors of the 9-5 got you busy huh? I'll see you this weekend, riiight?

Yo, I get my hair cut by this Taiwanese lady that has been cutting hair since she was like 10 years old. Her mother or father was a barber, too. No joke, she was in high demand for her men's cuts back in Taiwan but since she moved to SD she's been cutting at her house. It's sik, she can cut Asian hair like none other, and even better than the local Filipino barber, no joke.

She can cut any fade, and she can do any designs, characters, words in hair, too! Haha!

Jin Fong Ay Yi is that lady.

-M

• FO REAL, Man I got a cut somehere over there and dude was scrathin his nuts and all that and talkin mad ishh peepin out the ladies while cutting my hair dude was funny but I had wash my head in Alcohol for days.... Funny shop and he had all thme playboys on table like two years worth... Good time then we grubed on some hawwian food or was it yellow basket #2???

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yah one of the old headz at that shop pushed the razor into my temple so hard it left a huge red mark. Needless to say I don't go there anymore.

See you Saturday morning?

-M

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I get my hair cut by my hommie Valentine. Fade and clean up the top. His shop is the dopest barber shop I have EVAR been to. We drink Hennessy or Jack Daniel's. Always dope music on. It's a big shop. He's got a room full of records with a pair of 1200s and a Vestax. Folls make mix tapes at the shop. Big leather couches, sports on the big screen TV. Pool table. Playboy, King, Dub magazines, graffiti pieces on the wall. I had to stop going there on Friday nights cause I would go to get a haircut at 9PM and leave at the shop at 3AM, loaded! LOL Wifey was like "oh boy, you're going to get your haircut?"
    One of the barbers from the shop posts on here. I think his username is marsone.
    What up Martin?

www.valentinesformen.net

Yo Faux, If you're in Seattle and you need that cut, I'm sure they can hook it up

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Damn that's crazy. I didn't know Meshell Ndegeocello lived in Seatle

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    O-Dub's got the right idea. You know, gotta cut corners with the new baby and all...

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Haven't been to a barber in 6 years. Straight clippers to head style with a mirror. Much cheaper but I do miss the social aspect of it though.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    O-Dub's got the right idea. You know, gotta cut corners with the new baby and all...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Damn that's crazy. I didn't know Meshell Ndegeocello lived in Seatle

hahahahahaha. I know this dude. I think he raps or some shit.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I hate getting my hair cut. I think I'd rather get rabies shots. anyhow, I usually just let it grow a few years & then get drunk & let some half-wit cut it. Usually a family member. Anyhow, a few weeks ago I got tired of my past shoulder length hair. so, the girlfriend found a pair of old clippers at the thrift shop & I said "yup". That night I had some beers & decided it was time. The clippers were too dull to cut. fuck. So, like I said, I'd had a few drinks & wasn't about to let dull clippers stop me. I grabbed some dull scissors & went at it. Best haircut I've had in a while. I still don't understand how I didn't hurt myself.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The barber I go to used to cut the hair of all these Chicago black music legends like Curtis Mayfield and Muddy Waters. Pix all over the wall of him hanging with the likes of Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin. Last time I went, they had Curtis' There's No Place Like America Today playing on a boombox, and the older guys were playfully sonning the teens: "see, Curtis was REAL music! Not like this hip-hop shit Y'ALL got today...I feel sorry for ya, man!"

Gene Barge, the former Chess sessionman (among other things), gets his hair cut here, and when he drops knowledge about the music scene back in the time, it's all over but the shouting, bro. Even if he's talking about something you could read in any "history of rock" tome, it means a lot more coming from somebody who was a part of it.

Damn that's crazy. I didn't know Meshell Ndegeocello lived in Seatle

hahahahahaha. I know this dude. I think he raps or some shit.

hahahahahaha. I know this dude. I think he sells shoes at the downtown Nordstrom or some shit.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Strange thing. The other night I dreamt I grew some wildass fro!
    Obviously

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I get my hair cut by my hommie Valentine. Fade and clean up the top. His shop is the dopest barber shop I have EVAR been to. We drink Hennessy or Jack Daniel's. Always dope music on. It's a big shop. He's got a room full of records with a pair of 1200s and a Vestax. Folls make mix tapes at the shop. Big leather couches, sports on the big screen TV. Pool table. Playboy, King, Dub magazines, graffiti pieces on the wall. I had to stop going there on Friday nights cause I would go to get a haircut at 9PM and leave at the shop at 3AM, loaded! LOL Wifey was like "oh boy, you're going to get your haircut?"
    One of the barbers from the shop posts on here. I think his username is marsone.
    What up Martin?

www.valentinesformen.net
    where's TECUMSEH up in this piece? he's on the boards up there.

I hate getting my hair cut. I think I'd rather get rabies shots. anyhow, I usually just let it grow a few years & then get drunk & let some half-wit cut it. Usually a family member. Anyhow, a few weeks ago I got tired of my past shoulder length hair. so, the girlfriend found a pair of old clippers at the thrift shop & I said "yup". That night I had some beers & decided it was time. The clippers were too dull to cut. fuck. So, like I said, I'd had a few drinks & wasn't about to let dull clippers stop me. I grabbed some dull scissors & went at it. Best haircut I've had in a while. I still don't understand how I didn't hurt myself.

pics plaese.

jeff, you'll have to ask marklatency, and mole about my clippers mishap. all i know is that it involved a split (nut)shell, and my mom driving over to take me to buy some bandages. right now i have $50 bet with my girlfriend that i can go 6months without cutting my hair... 2-1/2 months left.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    pics plaese.

Schnipper style

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i typically cut my hair like once a year.. grow it out.. cut it back. I havent paid for a haircut in close to ten years.

• Yeah what's up. Valentine's shop is were you go to get the high post fades. It's as real as it gets as far as barber shops go. First of all it's dope to be able to go to a shop that gots so much heat in back. Mad records for days. Always gotta hop up on the turns when I slide through. Plus V is OG. He's got the skills, plus Mardin is a straight up rider. Some of the realest hard working cats you could meet. Plus like all barber shops madd comedy. I remember this one day when this foll came in talkin about "how much for a half a fade" V was like "what". Dude had a beenie on and V asked him if he didn't have money or something and he could like work something out like homeboy could sweep up the shop. Dude was kinda self concious and V told him to lift up his hat. Dude gave him the look like I'm not takin this hat off. V said to him "nobodys gonna laugh at you". Homeboy took off the hat and everyone in the shop was like "DAMN" then fell out on the floor. Straight comedy. Big up Mardin and V. Hey Big Chan, my wife be saying the same thing when I go to the shop. Dope spot and as real as it gets. Straight grown man hip-hop.

Yeah what's up. Valentine's shop is were you go to get the high post fades. It's as real as it gets as far as barber shops go. First of all it's dope to be able to go to a shop that gots so much heat in back. Mad records for days. Always gotta hop up on the turns when I slide through. Plus V is OG. He's got the skills, plus Mardin is a straight up rider. Some of the realest hard working cats you could meet. Plus like all barber shops madd comedy. I remember this one day when this foll came in talkin about "how much for a half a fade" V was like "what". Dude had a beenie on and V asked him if he didn't have money or something and he could like work something out like homeboy could sweep up the shop. Dude was kinda self concious and V told him to lift up his hat. Dude gave him the look like I'm not takin this hat off. V said to him "nobodys gonna laugh at you". Homeboy took off the hat and everyone in the shop was like "DAMN" then fell out on the floor. Straight comedy. Big up Mardin and V. Hey Big Chan, my wife be saying the same thing when I go to the shop. Dope spot and as real as it gets. Straight grown man hip-hop.
    isaac, so what? did dood just have a pile of clippings up on top of his head?