Langley School Music Project

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Anybody have this LP?I need MP3's if anybody got it. Shit spooky and beautiful in tandem.Little kids singing David Bowie and stuff.Anybody know the full story?

Comments

• the most awesome part is that it was teachers teaching to kids WITHOUT TREATING THEM AS KIDS, which happens so rarely.

the CD reissue is dope - lots of archival photos in the booklet.

http://www.keyofz.com/keyofz/langley/

• Both volumes were re-released, there should be some press on it. Big hit with the "real people" crowd. Fresh off the google:

http://www.keyofz.com/keyofz/langley/

• jinx

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's really really dope. I don't own a copy myself but would love to have it.

"The backing arrangement is astounding. Coupled with the earnest if lugubrious vocal performance you have a piece of art that I couldn't have conceived of, even with half of Colombia's finest export products in me" --David Bowie

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    How hard is the OG LP to cop? I'm assuming impossible.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

If memory serves: around the time of the reissue one went for double that.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Where my hatters at? I know somebody on here a while back said it sounded like some poor doped up cult members forced to sing pop tunes against their will and I'm inclined to agree... (but I hatt school records in general)

Grab the vinyl reish for under $20 and call it a day...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    i will hatt.

I didnt really care for it at all.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Where my hatters at? I know somebody on here a while back said it sounded like some poor doped up cult members forced to sing pop tunes against their will and I'm inclined to agree... (but I hatt school records in general)

Grab the vinyl reish for under $20 and call it a day...

I think it's pretty enjoyable - but knowing the backstory is probably 1/2 of the whole appeal - there really are tons of private kiddie choir pop covers out there.

However, the 'otherness' of the Langley material means that one should probably needledrop all those Carpenters covers though.

---

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Nate I got the CD, I'll see if I can get you some empeethreees in a few

-M

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    The opening to their rendition of "Band on the Run" always got me for some reason. Kids sound so earnest saying, "Mama."

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The opening to their rendition of "Band on the Run" always got me for some reason. Kids sound so earnest saying, "Mama."

Yeah, and the girl singing "Desperado" is just soooooooo sick. The album has it's highs and lows, but the highs are otherwordly, and overall it's just very inspiring.

• I've got a vinyl set to trade if anyone wants one.

Originals are limited to 300 or so and go for about $500.

Irwin Chusid was actually able to sell the "story" of these records to some movie company.

• Yeah, and the girl singing "Desperado" is just soooooooo sick. The album has it's highs and lows, but the highs are otherwordly, and overall it's just very inspiring.
    Cosign.

Here are a few of the tracks: Rhiannon, Sweet Caroline, Desperado, Help Me Rhonda, I get Around, Band on the Run, and Good Vibrations from the cd reissue.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i will hatt.

I didnt really care for it at all.
    yeah, i heard some of this a while back, and thought it was almost unlistenable... but i'll give it another chance. by the way, the new paul mccartney sucks ass.

• Any review of the new Paul McCartney, pro or con:

• girgir 329 Posts
    I know somebody on here a while back said it sounded like some poor doped up cult members forced to sing pop tunes against their will and I'm inclined to agree...

i want to hear more records that sound like that.