edited October 2005 in Music Talk
I just copped this:Fucking dumb hot.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I also like Summerteeth

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    "Jesus etc" makes me emo.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I've been a Wilco/Son Volt/Uncle Tupelo/Golden Smog junkie for years. I love that shit, I think I'm more partial to the older stuff but I respect the direction Jim O'Rourke has brought the band. Jeff Tweedy's a genius, and a genuinly good dude. I've got tonnes of out takes/ boot legs/ b-sides if any one wants 'em.. Y'all should see "I'm Trying to Break Your Heart" , it's good. Real Good.

• it was weird as hell being driz in chicago and looking up only to see those foxtrot towers

also

I also like Summerteeth

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I just copped this:

Fucking dumb hot.

Cos, I have the studio outakes of that album, Totally different versions of alll those songs, I'll lace you with it. Check out the web site, it has an EP to download. Jay Bennet was "asked to Leave" after recording that album, he and I spoke at length about it and it seemed like an amicable break up. But his presence is missed. See the movie now, it's about making this album.

• If you're into that kinda stuff, you should check out Last Of The Blacksmiths. They're old high school friends of the one Bambouche, and I've gotten to know them and their music, too. Beautiful, folky stuff with some amazing songwriting.

To , click here.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Cos, I have the studio outakes of that album, Totally different versions of alll those songs, I'll lace you with it. Check out the web site, it has an EP to download. Jay Bennet was "asked to Leave" after recording that album, he and I spoke at length about it and it seemed like an amicable break up. But his presence is missed. See the movie now, it's about making this album.

that whole shit was hard to watch.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just copped this:

Fucking dumb hot.

Dude I've heard the movie is real serious. My man Espo hipped me to it. I'll also look for the EP, and the outtakes sounds like a good deal as well.

PS: Cleaned out my PMs yesterday and found your jawn about the T-Shirts so I will holler at that a little later today dude.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Great album for sure, glad I copped it on vinyl. Wish I would've copped summerteeth when that one came out, I fuckin love that album. And yeah that movie is great. That Loose Fur album with Jeff Tweedy and Jim O'rourke is the shit, as is that Wilco book that came with a cd. I celebrate their entire catalog (except A.M.) haha

• awallawall 673 Posts

if you're at all interested in the process of recording an album or the dealings of the music industry this movie is essential. if you like wilco's music that an added plus.

if you bought yankee hotel foxtrot you can cop the bonus EP on their website for free by putting in the barcode or something. some good stuff got left off. also, if you're a fan on the jim o'rourke connection you should check this album:

it's jeff tweedy and o'rourke's side project, recorded on the side during the yankee hotel foxtrot sessions. a couple songs that were going to be on yankee hotel foxtrot ended up on here. it's called loose fur on it's on drag city.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Fucking dumb hot.

My favorite of the 2 Uncle Tupelo splinter groups - Jay Farrar's Son Volt material sounds like the same album being revisited time and time again w/ slight variations in the way the pedal steel's manipulated...

'A.M.' pretty much was Tweedy exploring further the pop mannerisms (a la Alex Chilton) hinted @ on UT's final album 'Anodyne' - caught that tour w/ Teenage Fanclub as the opener... Other solid tracks on that full length: 'We've Been Had,' 'New Madrid' and the cover of the late and great Doug Sahm's (which he also provided vocals on) 'Give Back the Key to My Heart'...

The earlier UT albums resemble much of the influences the duo were absorbing: Carter Family, SST (Husker Du, Replacements), etc. - the album recorded @ Fort Apache in Boston sounds like a lot of the vintage material recorded there: Dinosaur Jr., etc.

Personal highlight on Wilco's 'Being There' - 'Misunderstood' - incorporates the late Peter Laughner's 'Take the Guitar Player for a Ride' - he of Cleveland's pioneering Rocket from the Tombs (which John 'Speedo' Reis from San Diego's Rocket from the Crypt paid homage to w/ the name), which later morphed into Pere Ubu and contemporaries of the Dead Boys before they took up their residency on the Bowery district of NYC...

'Summerteeth' - Beach Boys influenced - a little Van Dyke Parks in there somewhere...

If you're game, Tweedy's onetime side project w/ members of the Jayhawks may merit exploring - Golden Smog - originals ('Pecan Pie') and covers of stuff such as the Faces' glorious 'Glad & Sorry'... Spoke to him shortly after a GS gig about Django Reinhardt...

And Tweedy's solo shows are always welcome - have some early ones including a cover of a great traditonal Irish ballad I think he came across whilst recording 'Mermaid Avenue' w/ Billy Bragg in that country...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    the Wilco movie is dumb good. cant say i feel the same about their music. my uncle bought me the "Foxtrot" album when it came out and i felt kinda about it. maybe i should revisit

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    the Wilco movie is dumb good. cant say i feel the same about their music. my uncle bought me the "Foxtrot" album when it came out and i felt kinda about it. maybe i should revisit

YES

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    If you're into that kinda stuff, you should check out Last Of The Blacksmiths.

A few months ago, in the midst of a steamy backroom PM session, I let it slip to Bam that I've got a weakness for that folky, country sounding twang. Lay a steel guitar (pedal or lap, just as good) under some sweet melody, and I'm completely hooked. Ever the humble gentleman, he notes, in the midst of a lengthy and hilarious tale involving Levon Helm (yes that Levon Helm), that his friends are in Last of the Blacksmiths. I've never heard of Last of the Blacksmiths. As a PS, he includes an mp3 of "In Your Hands", which, if you buy the CD you may come to know as the inimitable TRACK 7. I don't really fool with mp3s too much, so I only listen to this song like twice while I'm at work.

For the next week, I find myself humming it, singing it to myself even though I don't know the words. It's got all the power and uplift of a hymn sung by an appalachian mountain choir without all the evangelism and snake-handling. I was hooked.

So I went to the website, got the address, wrote a letter, wrote a check, and two weeks later I got the CD in the post. And I've been listening to it a lot ever since.

To , click here.

knowing me will take much longer than one life

JRoot

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    been a fan of wilco/ son volt for years..i just listened to son volt today at work...good ish cosmo.

• If you're into that kinda stuff, you should check out Last Of The Blacksmiths.

A few months ago, in the midst of a steamy backroom PM session, I let it slip to Bam that I've got a weakness for that folky, country sounding twang. Lay a steel guitar (pedal or lap, just as good) under some sweet melody, and I'm completely hooked. Ever the humble gentleman, he notes, in the midst of a lengthy and hilarious tale involving Levon Helm (yes that Levon Helm), that his friends are in Last of the Blacksmiths. I've never heard of Last of the Blacksmiths. As a PS, he includes an mp3 of "In Your Hands", which, if you buy the CD you may come to know as the inimitable TRACK 7. I don't really fool with mp3s too much, so I only listen to this song like twice while I'm at work.

For the next week, I find myself humming it, singing it to myself even though I don't know the words. It's got all the power and uplift of a hymn sung by an appalachian mountain choir without all the evangelism and snake-handling. I was hooked.

So I went to the website, got the address, wrote a letter, wrote a check, and two weeks later I got the CD in the post. And I've been listening to it a lot ever since.

To , click here.

JRoot

Mr. Root, Esq.,

Thank you so much for semi-un-retiring (sort of) to co-sign this beautiful, endearing album that I love. Might I throw in some additional information for you?

If you check the liner notes, you'll see that "In My Hands" (as well as "Knowing Me" and "A New Way" which has the great line I'm tired of saying my money's all gone, my family calls it my favorite song) are written by Rufus "Rufe" Wanta, grandfather of LOTB singer/keyboardist/unbelievably kind person Nathan Wanta. Nathan found several of his grandfather's poems in a closet a while back and, with Gramps' blessing, he made them into very beautiful songs. Rufe even plays harmonica on "In My Hands."

knowing me has been too much for one wife

That line gets me every time.

• wilco?
    big shit round these parts though.

• My old roomate put me onto the Trying To Break Your Heart DVD... real good viewing even if you're not into Wilco. It's a nice introduction. I also think it's funny that they got dropped by one label and picked up by another, both[/b] of which are ultimately owned by the same parent company. One hand not knowing what the other's doing...

I'll echo the enthusiasm for Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I love the odd noises and stuff that are going on through a lot of it.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    does anyone know the song where they're flying or jumping out a plane in the video? at least i think its wilco...

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    If you're into that kinda stuff, you should check out Last Of The Blacksmiths.

To , click here.

JRoot

Mr. Root, Esq.,

Thank you so much for semi-un-retiring (sort of) to co-sign this beautiful, endearing album that I love. Might I throw in some additional information for you?

If you check the liner notes, you'll see that "In My Hands" (as well as "Knowing Me" and "A New Way" which has the great line I'm tired of saying my money's all gone, my family calls it my favorite song) are written by Rufus "Rufe" Wanta, grandfather of LOTB singer/keyboardist/unbelievably kind person Nathan Wanta. Nathan found several of his grandfather's poems in a closet a while back and, with Gramps' blessing, he made them into very beautiful songs. Rufe even plays harmonica on "In My Hands."

knowing me has been too much for one wife

That line gets me every time.

Shit, this is weird. I was stalking Catchdubs to see what he's posted about recently (this isn't weird, is it?), and I find you two talking about my old high school buddy.

I have mp3s of Nathan and I in a punk band 100 years ago singing Misfits covers. Nathan and I used to also do an acoustic rendition of Jawbreaker's "Do You Still Hate Me?", which was -- as you could guess -- dedicated towards a girl. Many nights on the porch in the country we spent strumming. Nathan is a dear friend. His words cut into me. I remember showing him what a G chord was, no he's proficient with a Wurlitzer, pump organ, mandolin, banjo, and guitar. Not to mention his voice. His dedication is awe-inspiring. And his story about getting smoked out by Levon Helm in the Helm Barn is pretty fucking funny. "Man, they just kept passing it, and I guess, you know, I just kept taking it. I mean, how do you say 'no' to Levon?"

I don't have much to say about Wilco (I'm on an Oldham-related And I See A Darkness kick recently), but I will say that the first CD I put on after getting home from travels was the Last of the Blacksmiths. Truly, a beautiful piece of work.

Out At Night

(I need to stalk JRoot now, and see if I've missed anything else.)

• The newest album, A Ghost Is Born, it stepping on the line of brilliant as well.

"Company in My Back" or "Handshake Drugs" - Those ususally get the honor of ending the set on most Wed. nights. I'm am constantly surprised at the amount and diversity of people who will run up to the booth when that gets dropped and either thank me for playing it or ask's who it is.

Anyone like the "Mermaid Sessions" with Billy Bragg?

"Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" - really makes me want to drink.

EVERYONE - Keep you ears open for the live album which is suppost to drop sometime in November.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    just want to register a dissenting opinion to this wilco cosigning...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Duly noted.

The thing about it is I don't really come from a rock/indie rock background and so when I discover something lots of times I get hatted on because it's "such and such" - not saying that's what you're doing, Dubious. Just something I find happenening often.

Like several years ago when I was like "I like White Stripes" and all my folk that were into indie and shit we're like "Cosmo you're wack."

So that's what I'm saying.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

There's some great track on those. Check out the DVD "Man In the Sand" about Woody Guthrie and the making of the album.

• Anyone like the "Mermaid Sessions" with Billy Bragg?

There's some great track on those. Check out the DVD "Man In the Sand" about Woody Guthrie and the making of the album.
    yeah, that shit's pretty fantastic. Both volumes are worth checking.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Duly noted.

The thing about it is I don't really come from a rock/indie rock background and so when I discover something lots of times I get hatted on because it's "such and such" - not saying that's what you're doing, Dubious. Just something I find happenening often.

Like several years ago when I was like "I like White Stripes" and all my folk that were into indie and shit we're like "Cosmo you're wack."

So that's what I'm saying.

good point man

i was ensconsed behind the counter at a record store in college town america 3 hours away from chi town when being there came out.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

yeah, that shit's pretty fantastic. Both volumes are worth checking.

GOT SOME COOL B-SIDES FROM THAT SESSION, I'LL PUT EM ON THE CD COS.