Essential Funk LP’s

124»

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Maybe it's just me but when people says FUNK...
    I think to the old school soul/funk of the JB's

while others others think to the later funkadelic/Graham central/Rick James kind of thing....

no its not just you.. a lot of people think JBs, Meters, etc when you say Funk. however, how can you say Larry Graham, motherfucking changed the Funk game with his slap bass guitar playing, isnt Funk? RICK JAMES?!?! dude...

you should go back and listen to those records... and the only suspect thing is your music knowledge and understanding.

c'mon people..I didn't mean suspect in a negative way... I meant is amaziong that one single can include so many and different artists........

you are too aggressive

one single word... rock, soul, classical... ALL of those can include many different subgenres and different artists...

...suspect... is negative. cant use it any other way, or so i thought.

and aggressive... yes, but im sweet as pie in real life...

• one single word... rock, soul, classical... ALL of those can include many different subgenres and different artists...

thanks for clear up my mind on how wide the music spectrum is

...suspect... is negative. cant use it any other way, or so i thought.

thanks for the english grammar lesson

... but im sweet as pie in real life...

this info is so welcome...it will add a whole new chapter in the jinx74 biography I'm currently workin on

and yes let's give peace a chance

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

while others others think to the later funkadelic/Graham central/Rick James kind of thing....

It's all FONK..................................

oh yeah......................

Some say he's the real godfather...........

glad i can help out the young and uninformed!

• glad i can help out the young and uninformed!

fela isnt essential
    baby huey isnt essential
    though i hate the music, parliament & funkadelic music are essential
    meters are essential
    stark reality isnt essential and i wouldnt call it a funk LP

shut the funk up

hate maggot brain?Ossmium??faces??
    now I know you are AN[/b] [email]a@#$%^&*()[/email]

fela not essential?

please remove head from ass
    NOW

are you forgetting James Brown's trip to nigeria in 71?

then you post ohio players over BABY HUEY???
    oh ok

I thought you was some kinda SF funk 45 guru

(sigh) you could of attacked me a lot better than THIS 4th grade dribble... this is the problem with uneducated people.

first off youre a bitch for saying "funk" instead of "fuck"... you lose points right from the start.

and no, i dont like the PFunk sound. i accept it, appreciate it, and owned their records but the sound they have isnt for me.

fela isnt essential... and you must be a young whippersnapper due to the fact that your only story that connects the word Funk to Fela is "James Brown's trip to nigeria in 71..." you are showing off your rookieness here. i dont think Fela records are necessary to have. they do bring in a nasty amount of Funk, Soul, and African rhythms to the game but we were talking about ESSENTIAL pieces and i think that if you want whats necessary in your Funk box, having a Fela piece or pieces isnt going to matter.

have you ever listened to Ohio Players? them boys are DOPE! and i would stand most of their LPs up against Baby Hueys LP. (now BHs 45 on USA... dont have the first press... is THE SHIT!, though not Funk)

and yes, i know a lot about SF and Bay Area Funk and Soul music and not just 45s.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    CLEVELAND EATON _ HALF & HALF

• Ohio Players are one of my favorite funk bands of all time. Their Westbound catalogue is pretty unfuckwithable.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

its all meat on the same bone. shoot, eddie cochran and blue cheer sound different too but they both played rock & roll...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Ohio Players are one of my favorite funk bands of all time. Their Westbound catalogue is pretty unfuckwithable.

• Kool & the Gang - Live At PJ's
    24 Carat Black - Ghetto Misfortune's Wealth
    Crusaders - Southern Comfort
    Eddie Kendricks - self titled
    Al Green - Let's Stay Together

Al Green - Let's Stay Together

• Al Green - Let's Stay Together

I was listening to it as I was writing in my suggestions and felt it should be in everyone's collection...

May not apply in terms of funkiness, but from start to finish, the record's fire.