ULTIMATE SELLOUTS || DISCUSS...

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The Yardbirds were best with Page and Beck, Clapton was fine, but those 2 guitarists were the Yardbirds at the top of their game.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yeah thats the thing, the Yardbirds were okay in the beginning, a little stiff... Clapton leaves because he wants to do "pure blues"... THEN things start getting real interesting and they become proto-Zep

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The Yardbirds were best with Page and Beck, Clapton was fine, but those 2 guitarists were the Yardbirds at the top of their game.

The Yardbirds scene in Blow-Up is great.
    It's the best song on the soundtrack !

• whatever makes you happy, but i derive consistent enjoyment from listening to records i know inside and out. while that corsican pygmy ventures version with pigeon singing guitar may be an interesting anomaly, i really can't imagine pulling it out more than... ever.

but then again, your weekend finds list is usually larger than my entire record collection. i keep about 1 out of every 50 records i buy.

trying to remember the source, but I heard that they were like the third choice after the Who AND the Velvets either turned it down wor couldn't do it. Thus the Who-like smashing of instruments which was un-Beck-like. He was more likely to punch someone than smash a guitar, from all reports I've heard.

• Well, first he quit the Yardbirds cuz they were getting too interesting

Then he started Cream

And there's the whole Derek & the Dominoes through MTV Unplugged era...

He apparently made some bullshit remarks about Arabs and too many immigrants in the UK or some such shit.

I like Cream.

Don't forget the bullsh!t remarks about Hendrix.

You can say they were taken out of context all day, but I can't think of a context in which referring to Jimi as a "spade" would have been appropriate...

Not to mention his countless anti-gay comments and calls to burn all gays.

Wait, that was Capleton.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    this type of overarching thread always makes me realize how few people on this board have absolutely any idea what the fuck they are talking about. dudes sweating steel band records from myanmar with a version of 'cissy strut' but never owned the white album.

Well, personally, my list would be a lot longer if it incorporated records my parents own that I grew up listening to... the Beatles catalog is so imprinted on my memory that I've never felt the need to buy my own copies of those records. Same for Bob Dylan.

Also I definitely owned cassette dubs of every Zeppelin release when I was younger but, again, had played those albums so many times that by the point I was buying CDs and records it just didn't seem necessary to get copies.

• The Yardbirds were best with Page and Beck, Clapton was fine, but those 2 guitarists were the Yardbirds at the top of their game.

trying to remember the source, but I heard that they were like the third choice after the Who AND the Velvets either turned it down wor couldn't do it. Thus the Who-like smashing of instruments which was un-Beck-like. He was more likely to punch someone than smash a guitar, from all reports I've heard.

I heard that about the Velvets too.
    I happen to dig early Yardbirds (esp live stuff) and Cream. I have no use for most post Derek & the Dominoes Clapton.
    Anyone have a source on Clapton's racist remarks? I'd never heard any of that.

I happen to dig early Yardbirds (esp live stuff) and Cream. I have no use for most post Derek & the Dominoes Clapton.

The "spade" thing has appeared in a number of books... pretty sure you can find it in Reebie Garofalo's Rockin' Out, which should footnote the original source.

Yardbirds. I don't think there is any group that less of an understanding of the blues than the Yardbirds.

Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. OK.

I would argue that that's why the Yardbirds(and a host of other British 'blues-based' bands) were a better Rock and Roll band than the Bluesbreakers. They understood the Blues on a very surface level and invested a lot more of themselves and pop influences into the basic structure, thus creating something different and in it's way, more interesting, especially after Clapton's purist leanings were dispensed with.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I heard about his anti-immigration remarks through (UK) anti-racist concerts/shows/movements when I was younger. No "real" source other than zines and such.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

The "spade" thing has appeared in a number of books... pretty sure you can find it in Reebie Garofalo's Rockin' Out, which should footnote the original source.

I remember when his anti-immigrant thing was in the news. This is the first I heard of calling Hendrix a spade.

There was a brief time when spade was considered a cool word, like the N word is today.

Jeff Beck can play some guitar. Those guys on Truth did a good job. The highlight of Rod Stewarts carrer?

• The Yardbirds were best with Page and Beck, Clapton was fine, but those 2 guitarists were the Yardbirds at the top of their game.

I remember when his anti-immigrant thing was in the news. This is the first I heard of calling Hendrix a spade.

There was a brief time when spade was considered a cool word, like the N word is today.

Jeff Beck can play some guitar. Those guys on Truth did a good job. The highlight of Rod Stewarts carrer?

There was a period where hipsters and jazzbos used to throw "spade" around like so much confetti. Since Clapton was never either, his usage is ever the more suspect.
    Cosign on Jeff Beck Group being the highlight of Rod Stewart's career (of course including things from adjacent eras such as his first few solo lps and the Faces).

There was a period where hipsters and jazzbos used to throw "spade" around like so much confetti. Since Clapton was never either, his usage is ever the more suspect.
    Cosign on Jeff Beck Group being the highlight of Rod Stewart's career (of course including things from adjacent eras such as his first few solo lps and the Faces).

Wouldn't that period have preceded the point when Clapton would have been commenting on Hendrix by about a decade anyway?

Wouldn't that period have preceded the point when Clapton would have been commenting on Hendrix by about a decade anyway?

Yes.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I stand corrected on the Clapton-free statement...I TOTALLY forgot about his solo on "my guitar..."

Also, cosign on the Van Halen "Fair Warning" Love...one of the best Rock LPs ever. I bought mine at Target when I was 12 and I still own the same copy and I still have no idea why it has no scratches and sounds loud as hell...I have records I bought last month that skip now. new thread "Warner Bros 80s pressing appreciation post"

Also, the Clapton discussion went way further than I thought...I dont like his playing. I am a guitar nerd and I cant understand why he is worshipped so...as far as british blues players, Peter Green and Page blow him outta the water. His songwriting is boring to me(his tunes of his that I can tolerate werent written by him..ie. "Layla"..Bobby Whitlock wrote that and "Toad", I believe was written by Jack Bruce(who I love via his Lifetime connection)..but I might be wrong again with that clapton "fact"...maybe I dont hate him as much as I thought..but I still dont own any of his music(except for 3 copies of the "White Album")

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I stand corrected on the Clapton-free statement...I TOTALLY forgot about his solo on "my guitar..."

Also, cosign on the Van Halen "Fair Warning" Love...one of the best Rock LPs ever. I bought mine at Target when I was 12 and I still own the same copy and I still have no idea why it has no scratches and sounds loud as hell...I have records I bought last month that skip now. new thread "Warner Bros 80s pressing appreciation post"

Also, the Clapton discussion went way further than I thought...I dont like his playing. I am a guitar nerd and I cant understand why he is worshipped so...as far as british blues players, Peter Green and Page blow him outta the water. His songwriting is boring to me(his tunes of his that I can tolerate werent written by him..ie. "Layla"..Bobby Whitlock wrote that and "Toad", I believe was written by Jack Bruce(who I love via his Lifetime connection)..but I might be wrong again with that clapton "fact"...maybe I dont hate him as much as I thought..but I still dont own any of his music(except for 3 copies of the "White Album")

I agree with your Clapton statements. I don't want to start a beef, but I've just been listening to a lot of early Fleetwood Mac. Peter Green's and Spence's obssesion with Elmore James and Jimmy Reed get's real annoying, real fast. I'm not saying they couldn't play that stuff, because they could, but they sure drove it into the ground. Beck is still the British blues (and jazz) guitarist for me. After him I'll take all those folk finger picking guys like Renbourne.

Dan

Beck is still the British blues (and jazz) guitarist for me.

Dick Taylor from the Pretty Things and Ritchie Blackmore kick ass.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The first COUPLE of Van Halen albums are still pretty untouchable. But I'll admit that part of that probably has to do with experiencing them at the time that they came out. Not that I'm hatin' on dudes who got into something "after the fact"; I'm just sayin' that I could see how someone might hear "Eruption" now and not have their cochlea warmed, whereas when I first heard it, I knew I had to step up my callous game on my right index finger. Please, hammer-on, don't hurt [me]!

Plus, David Lee Roth (in his prime) has got to be one of the greatest frontmen of all time.*

"I'm an optimist. When I go fishing, I bring a Nikon and a frying pan."
    - Diamond Dave

*Cue the Jim Dandy/Black Oak Arkansas defenders....

That's my hand going up. Not for Van Halen, but for Black Oak. I have a tape of a recent radio interview Jim Dandy Mangrum did where the interviewer asked him if he was bitter about David Lee Roth stealing his whole barechested schtick: "Naw, man, he can have it if he wonts to, didn't cost ME nuthin'..."

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    shouldn't Norah Jones be on the list ?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Not to mention his countless anti-gay comments and calls to burn all gays.

Wait, that was Capleton.

Hogg - another burner. Endless source of amusement. Keep it up. I need that shit up here in the library.

• The 92 biggest selling albums. Let's discuss:

a) The albums from the list that you own(ed).
    b) Why.
    c) What, if any significance these top dogs had either in general or specifically.

2. Thriller, Michael Jackson (Epic)[/b] - 26 Million
    3. The Wall, Pink Floyd (Columbia)[/b] - 23 Million
    4. Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song)[/b] - 22 Million
    5. Greatest Hits Volumes I & II, Billy Joel (Columbia)[/b] - 21 Million
    8. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 19 Million
    9. The Beatles, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 19 Million
    10. Boston, Boston (Epic)[/b] - 17 Million I think I own this, but I don't know why...
    11. The Bodyguard (Soundtrack), Whitney Houston (Arista)[/b] - 17 Million
    13. Greatest Hits, Elton John (Rocket)[/b] - 16 Million

17. The Beatles 1967???1970, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 16 Million
    18. Appetite for Destruction, Guns 'N Roses (Geffen)[/b] - 15 Million
    19. Born in the U.S.A., Bruce Springsteen (Columbia)[/b] - 15 Million
    20. Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd (Capitol)[/b] - 15 Million

22. Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song)[/b] - 15 Million
    23. Saturday Night Fever (Soundtrack), Bee Gees (Polydor/Atlas)[/b] - 15 Million
    24. The Beatles 1962???1966, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 15 Million
    25. Backstreet Boys, Backstreet Boys (Jive)[/b] - 14 Million
    26. Bat Out of Hell, Meat Loaf (Epic)[/b] - 14 Million

29. ???Baby One More Time, Britney Spears (Jive)[/b] - 13 Million
    30. Bruce Springsteen Live 1975???1985 (box set), Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band (Columbia)[/b] - 13 Million
    31. Greatest Hits 1974???1978, Steve Miller Band (Capitol)[/b] - 13 Million
    32. Metallica, Metallica (Elektra)[/b] - 13 Million
    33. Millennium, Backstreet Boys (Jive)[/b] - 13 Million
    34. Purple Rain, Prince and the Revolution (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 13 Million
    35. Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, Simon & Garfunkel (Columbia)[/b] - 13 Million
    36. Whitney Houston, Whitney Houston (Arista)[/b] - 13 Million
    37. Abbey Road, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 12 Million
    41. Hysteria, Def Leppard (Mercury)[/b] - 12 Million
    42. II, Boyz II Men (Motown)[/b] - 12 Million

44. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic)[/b] - 12 Million
    45. No Jacket Required, Phil Collins (Atlantic)[/b] - 12 Million
    46. Slippery When Wet, Bon Jovi (Mercury)[/b] - 12 Million

52. CrazySexyCool, TLC (LaFace)[/b] - 11 Million

54. Dirty Dancing (Soundtrack) (RCA)[/b] - 11 Million
    57. Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic)[/b] - 11 Million
    58. James Taylor's Greatest Hits, James Taylor (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 11 Million
    59. No Strings Attached, 'N Sync (Jive)[/b] - 11 Million

61. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 11 Million
    63. 1984 (MCMLXXXIV), Van Halen (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 10 Million Used to, maybe still

65. Best of the Doobies, Doobie Brothers (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 10 Million
    66. Can't Slow Down, Lionel Richie (Motown)[/b] - 10 Million

70. Faith, George Michael (Columbia)[/b] - 10 Million
    72. Greatest Hits, Journey (Capitol)[/b] - 10 Million Of course

75. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic)[/b] - 10 Million
    76. Legend, Bob Marley & the Wailers (Island)[/b] - 10 Million
    78. Life After Death, Notorious B.I.G. (Bad Boy/Arista)[/b] - 10 Million
    79. Like a Virgin, Madonna (Sire)[/b] - 10 Million

81. 'N Sync, 'N Sync (RCA)[/b] - 10 Million
    82. Nevermind, Nirvana (DGC)[/b] - 10 Million
    84. Tapestry, Carole King (Ode)[/b] - 10 Million
    86. The Immaculate Collection, Madonna (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 10 Million

89. The Stranger, Billy Joel (Columbia)[/b] - 10 Million
    91. Unplugged, Eric Clapton (Reprise)[/b] - 10 Million
    92. Van Halen, Van Halen (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 10 Million

b) cause I'm a pop music slut
    c) significance. Well, I think more people try to emulate these groups than any others. Record companies want to sign the next...insert top-selling artist here. Shig can probably karaoke the shit out of most of these albums. Honestly, I own a lot, but that doesn't mean I actually listen to them. For example, I own the Journey greatest hits, but really only care about 4 songs. Also, a lot of these are double cassettes in my parents storage somewhere. The modern stuff, like NSync, Backstreet, and Britney, well, see answer to question b. Plus, I didn't pay for them or anything.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The first COUPLE of Van Halen albums are still pretty untouchable. But I'll admit that part of that probably has to do with experiencing them at the time that they came out. Not that I'm hatin' on dudes who got into something "after the fact"; I'm just sayin' that I could see how someone might hear "Eruption" now and not have their cochlea warmed, whereas when I first heard it, I knew I had to step up my callous game on my right index finger. Please, hammer-on, don't hurt [me]!

Plus, David Lee Roth (in his prime) has got to be one of the greatest frontmen of all time.*

"I'm an optimist. When I go fishing, I bring a Nikon and a frying pan."
    - Diamond Dave

*Cue the Jim Dandy/Black Oak Arkansas defenders....

That's my hand going up. Not for Van Halen, but for Black Oak. I have a tape of a recent radio interview Jim Dandy Mangrum did where the interviewer asked him if he was bitter about David Lee Roth stealing his whole barechested schtick: "Naw, man, he can have it if he wonts to, didn't cost ME nuthin'..."

I love Jim and David both, you cant hate on Dave for stealing a couple moves and chest hair...yeah Jim did it first, though, but you might as well hate on Jagger for stealing his moves. I see Jim Dandy out at bars all the time, he has the last laugh as far as hairlines though... ...he needs to stop wearing pickle pants though

• Also, cosign on the Van Halen "Fair Warning" Love...one of the best Rock LPs ever. I bought mine at Target when I was 12 and I still own the same copy and I still have no idea why it has no scratches and sounds loud as hell...I have records I bought last month that skip now. new thread "Warner Bros 80s pressing appreciation post"

Love how the first few VH albums have guitar and bass panned hard to either side. Should bring that shit back already.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    here, here. a well deserved top 92, if i may say so. and i do own most of these on record. so instead of claiming which one's i own, i thought id make it easier and say which one's i dont own.

any of that pink floyd shit. yeah, im sure some of you think otherwise, but deal with it. i dont like them. i watched that movie the wall once and fell asleep. the cartoons were keen tho.

any of that shania shit. let me just say that i am deeply deeply offended by her fashion sensibility. this woman could be cute but she always gotta fuck it up with a leopard print cat suit or something. i hate to be petty, but i likes when a woman can put her shit together. and believe me, there are fat ugly girls that can rock stretch pants and hoodies better than anything shania owns.

garth brooks post "No Fences". first off id like to say that "friends in low places" is a club BANGER and none of you own it and i do which makes it raer and sought after in japan and small pockets of eastern europe. ok, let's face it, dude fell off after no fences. crossed over like a mofo with that album tho and then i started to see way too much of him everywhere. that ruined it for me.

jewel, matchbox20, creed, no doubt. will anyone even remember any of this shit in a year? i mean, what the fuck did matchbox 20 sing? i know ive heard the song before too. and jewel? take that yodeling to stonesthrow.com, sun.

dixie chicks. who? what?

anything else on that list i proudly own[ed] and rock in the karaoke box.

oh, and one last thing. i am a big elton john lover. but what the FUCK is that princess di shit? you fat fucking slob. you couldnt even write a new tune? you just took one of your corniest songs and switched a few words here and there and sold that shit. its bad enough youre wearing crush velvet ecko sweat suits, whatever happened to the bitch?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this type of overarching thread always makes me realize how few people on this board have absolutely any idea what the fuck they are talking about. dudes sweating southern crunk music but never even owned a rap record before the internet[/b] .

first off id like to say that "friends in low places" is a club BANGER and none of you own it and i do which makes it raer and sought after in japan and small pockets of eastern europe.

When you say "club banger," I assume you are referring to the "dance mixes" on the Europe-only CD single that you paid 34.99 for in the HMV imports section?

first off id like to say that "friends in low places" is a club BANGER and none of you own it and i do which makes it raer and sought after in japan and small pockets of eastern europe.

When you say "club banger," I assume you are referring to the "dance mixes" on the Europe-only CD single that you paid 34.99 for in the HMV imports section?

1. there are no HMVs in california.
    2. ive never spent that much on any piece of music
    3. liberty jukebox 45 promo only.

• anything else on that list i proudly own[ed]

but, um, there's a euro only dance maxi single of this? plaese to post audio.