ULTIMATE SELLOUTS || DISCUSS...

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Albums I STILL own right now:

2. Thriller, Michael Jackson (Epic)[/b] - 26 Million
    6. Back in Black, AC/DC (Elektra)[/b] - 19 Million
    9. The Beatles, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 19 Million
    23. Saturday Night Fever (Soundtrack), Bee Gees (Polydor/Atlas)[/b] - 15 Million
    37. Abbey Road, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 12 Million
    44. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic)[/b] - 12 Million
    61. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 11 Million
    75. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic)[/b] - 10 Million
    76. Legend, Bob Marley & the Wailers (Island)[/b] - 10 Million
    78. Life After Death, Notorious B.I.G. (Bad Boy/Arista)[/b] - 10 Million
    89. The Stranger, Billy Joel (Columbia)[/b] - 10 Million

Out of those I'd still bust out with Thriller, Back In Black, Saturday Night Fever and Life After Death anytime.

Albums I USE to own:

92. Van Halen, Van Halen (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 10 Million

Plaese to explain where you're busting out "Saturday night Fever"? Is it between listens of Afreka and Austin Stage Band records?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Plaese to explain where you're busting out "Saturday night Fever"? Is it between listens of Afreka and Austin Stage Band records?

1. Actually like Bee Gees

2. More importantly GIRLFRIEND likes Bee Gees!

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    1. Eagles Their Greatest Hits 1971???1975, Eagles (Elektra)[/b] - 28 Million
    14. Hotel California, Eagles (Elektra)[/b] - 16 Million
    55. Eagles Greatest Hits, Vol. II, Eagles (Elektra)[/b] - 11 Million

Among my least favorite bands of all time, but after seeing this list they DEFINITELY qualify as most overrated band of all time

I used to love them until i saw the big lebowski. now, i can barely listen to most of their songs, other than hotel california...

you can't diss thriller, that was the first record I ever bought with my own money (besides Herbie Hancock Rockit but that was a single)

i own/have owned these I'm surprised how many this is:

2. Thriller, Michael Jackson (Epic) - 26 Million
    3. The Wall, Pink Floyd (Columbia) - 23 Million
    4. Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song) - 22 Million
    9. The Beatles, The Beatles (Capitol) - 19 Million
    13. Greatest Hits, Elton John (Rocket) - 16 Million
    17. The Beatles 1967???1970, The Beatles (Capitol) - 16 Million
    19. Born in the U.S.A., Bruce Springsteen (Columbia) - 15 Million
    20. Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd (Capitol) - 15 Million
    22. Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song) - 15 Million
    32. Metallica, Metallica (Elektra) - 13 Million
    37. Abbey Road, The Beatles (Capitol) - 12 Million
    44. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic) - 12 Million
    52. CrazySexyCool, TLC (LaFace) - 11 Million (got this one for free, there is no way I would spend money on this crap)
    57. Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic) - 11 Million
    61. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles (Capitol) - 11 Million
    75. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic) - 10 Million
    76. Legend, Bob Marley & the Wailers (Island) - 10 Million
    78. Life After Death, Notorious B.I.G. (Bad Boy/Arista) - 10 Million
    79. Like a Virgin, Madonna (Sire) - 10 Million
    84. Tapestry, Carole King (Ode) - 10 Millio
    87. The Joshua Tree, U2 (Island) - 10 Million
    92. Van Halen, Van Halen (Warner Bros.) - 10 Million

Led Zepplin rocks, I have never met a person on this earth who didn't like them at some point in their life.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

2. More importantly GIRLFRIEND likes Bee Gees!

Sure

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

3. The Wall, Pink Floyd (Columbia)[/b] - 23 Million

4. Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song)[/b] - 22 Million

17. The Beatles 1967???1970, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 16 Million

18. Appetite for Destruction, Guns 'N Roses (Geffen)[/b] - 15 Million

20. Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd (Capitol)[/b] - 15 Million

22. Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song)[/b] - 15 Million

23. Saturday Night Fever (Soundtrack), Bee Gees (Polydor/Atlas)[/b] - 15 Million

28. Supernatural, Santana (Arista)[/b] - 14 Million

31. Greatest Hits 1974???1978, Steve Miller Band (Capitol)[/b] - 13 Million

32. Metallica, Metallica (Elektra)[/b] - 13 Million

34. Purple Rain, Prince and the Revolution (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 13 Million

35. Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, Simon & Garfunkel (Columbia)[/b] - 13 Million

37. Abbey Road, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 12 Million

40. Hot Rocks, The Rolling Stones (abkco)[/b] - 12 Million

41. Hysteria, Def Leppard (Mercury)[/b] - 12 Million

43. Kenny Rogers' Greatest Hits, Kenny Rogers (Capitol Nashville)[/b] - 12 Million

57. Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic)[/b] - 11 Million

61. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 11 Million

63. 1984 (MCMLXXXIV), Van Halen (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 10 Million

64. Aerosmith's Greatest Hits, Aerosmith (Columbia)[/b] - 10 Million

70. Faith, George Michael (Columbia)[/b] - 10 Million

76. Legend, Bob Marley & the Wailers (Island)[/b] - 10 Million

78. Life After Death, Notorious B.I.G. (Bad Boy/Arista)[/b] - 10 Million

79. Like a Virgin, Madonna (Sire)[/b] - 10 Million

82. Nevermind, Nirvana (DGC)[/b] - 10 Million

84. Tapestry, Carole King (Ode)[/b] - 10 Million

The GNR, Zep and Aerosmith tapes were a big deal to me about '89.

Nirvana and Biggie were my shit a few years later

A lot of the other ones I've acquired since just picking up records and don't hold the same significance as whole albums, usually there was just a song on there I really wanted to listen to at some point. Some of these I shouldn't even have.

Notes: the Metallica was a cassette and I no longer own it. Pretty sure I got rid of Def Leppard as well. I've never listened to the Kenny Rogers or Carole King.

• darendaren 28 Posts
    What's the source of this list? I can't see this list being worldwide, but more the United States. Seriously, how many non-Americans bought Born in the USA?

• I can't believe some of the bullshit that made this list.

Hey Shig, I think someone's talkin' shit on your Garth Brooks over here...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    all i would like to contribute to this thread is phuck pearl jam...i dont remember the grunge years well, was is like tupac vs biggie for nirvana vs pearl jam? well i say it again, phuck pearl jam. nirvana was sickness.

• a)
    66. Can't Slow Down, Lionel Richie (Motown)[/b] - 10 Million

b)
    Because I own & like a lot of cheesy rakords.

c)
    #2 My first LP ever
    #66 First LP ever received as a gift
    #6 & #44 My rock period

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The 92 biggest selling albums. Let's discuss:

a) The albums from the list that you own(ed).
    b) Why.
    c) What, if any significance these top dogs had either in general or specifically.

[4. Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song)[/b] - 22 Million
    8. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 19 Million
    17. The Beatles 1967???1970, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 16 Million
    18. Appetite for Destruction, Guns 'N Roses (Geffen)[/b] - 15 Million
    20. Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd (Capitol)[/b] - 15 Million
    22. Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song)[/b] - 15 Million
    24. The Beatles 1962???1966, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 15 Million
    34. Purple Rain, Prince and the Revolution (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 13 Million
    [37. Abbey Road, The Beatles (Capitol)[/b] - 12 Million
    57. Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin (Atlantic)[/b] - 11 Million
    63. 1984 (MCMLXXXIV), Van Halen (Warner Bros.)[/b] - 10 Million
    82. Nevermind, Nirvana (DGC)[/b] - 10 Million

I am a rock fan, and you cant be a rock fan without liking Zep, Van Halen, AC/DC, etc. plain and simple. Also, the Beatles, well it goes with out saying. The only bands who I own the "Hits" LPs as well as the OGs.

Also, as I discovered the other day I am proud to say my record collection is 100% Clapton free...the only Yardbirds I have are post Clapton, I own no Cream records, etc...I really cant stand him.

Surpised at the Stones only having one...I have most of the Stones LPs(minus one or two up until '76), dont have Hot Rocks though, well, because I have the LPs.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Yes - pre- and post-disco era. Great songwriters and even better at arrangements.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yes - pre- and post-disco era. Great songwriters and even better at arrangements.

BIG co-sign. Bee Gees are for real. Those sons of bitches can really sing their asses off.

• 1. Actually like Bee Gees

BIG co-sign. Bee Gees are for real. Those sons of bitches can really sing their asses off.

Co-co-sign. Early to mid period Bee Gees (especially the psyche pop years) is some seriously underrated music.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Co-co-sign. Early to mid period Bee Gees (especially the psyche pop years) is some seriously underrated music.

Yup. I hear they still start some concerts with their old "Horizontal" fave 'World', which is some seriously sweet harmonic-light-psych niceness.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Also, as I discovered the other day I am proud to say my record collection is 100% Clapton free...the only Yardbirds I have are post Clapton, I own no Cream records, etc...I really cant stand him.

except that he played the solo on the beatles while my guitar gently weeps.. so sadly slow hand looms his ugly head in my otherwise clapton free collection.

bee gees rule.. the pschey stuff is definatly RED CHAIR FADE AWAY...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Damn, why the Clapton hate?

Well, first he quit the Yardbirds cuz they were getting too interesting

Then he started Cream

And there's the whole Derek & the Dominoes through MTV Unplugged era...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Damn, I'm saying though...

:::M A R I N A:::

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Then he started Cream

He apparently made some bullshit remarks about Arabs and too many immigrants in the UK or some such shit.

I like Cream.

• the whole Derek & the Dominoes through MTV Unplugged era...

D & the D's is the only Clapton i actively like. I consider the Layla LP to be classic, largely due to Duane Allman, but also some good songwriting and overall very sincere emotions expressed.

Definitely can't stand any Clapton after that though.

• this type of overarching thread always makes me realize how few people on this board have absolutely any idea what the fuck they are talking about. dudes sweating steel band records from myanmar with a version of 'cissy strut' but never owned the white album.

• Songwriting is criminally underrated

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    this type of overarching thread always makes me realize how few people on this board have absolutely any idea what the fuck they are talking about. dudes sweating steel band records from myanmar with a version of 'cissy strut' but never owned the white album.

yeah gimme Van Halen's Unchained ANYDAY over 90% of them dusties

some shit is classic for a reason

• The first COUPLE of Van Halen albums are still pretty untouchable. But I'll admit that part of that probably has to do with experiencing them at the time that they came out. Not that I'm hatin' on dudes who got into something "after the fact"; I'm just sayin' that I could see how someone might hear "Eruption" now and not have their cochlea warmed, whereas when I first heard it, I knew I had to step up my callous game on my right index finger. Please, hammer-on, don't hurt [me]!

Plus, David Lee Roth (in his prime) has got to be one of the greatest frontmen of all time.*

"I'm an optimist. When I go fishing, I bring a Nikon and a frying pan."
    - Diamond Dave

*Cue the Jim Dandy/Black Oak Arkansas defenders....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Is 5 copies of the White Album enough to be in the know?
    And yes, my copy of Steel Band doing Cissy Strut is steeeel sweet, but from NJ, not Myanmar.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    this type of overarching thread always makes me realize how few people on this board have absolutely any idea what the fuck they are talking about.

I agree with this sentiment but for probably different reasons.

dudes sweating steel band records from myanmar with a version of 'cissy strut' but never owned the white album.

Understood, but be fair. You can be acquainted with 75% of THE WHITE ALBUM front and back via endless play on radio and TV without ever having to purchase the damn thing. On the other hand, the chances of hearing the Tripoli Steel Band - let alone The Meters - without owning the records yourself are much slimmer. Hell, there's plenty of classic records I don't own because I've heard them a million times already; often I'd rather own an unusual record I'm unfamiliar with, even if it's not as good as The Beatles.

• Understood, but be fair. You can be acquainted with 75% of THE WHITE ALBUM front and back via endless play on radio and TV without ever having to purchase the damn thing. On the other hand, the chances of hearing the Tripoli Steel Band - let alone The Meters - without owning the records yourself are much slimmer. Hell, there's plenty of classic records I don't own because I've heard them a million times already; often I'd rather own an unusual record I'm unfamiliar with, even if it's not as good as The Beatles. [/b]

COSIGN[/b]

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Damn, why the Clapton hate?

I am a Clapton hater. He's had a long carrer, and there are some good songs in there, but over all over rated asshole.

Disclamer for those who don't know, I am not a rock fan.

Yardbirds. I don't think there is any group that less of an understanding of the blues than the Yardbirds.

Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. OK.

Cream. I loved this stuff when I was in high school when it first came out. I've relistened to a lot of it and I am amazed at how bad it is today. Ginger Baker went on to work with Fela and made some good music, and maintained a low profile. Jack Bruce has worked in the avantjazzartmusic world. Clapton went on to champion his own greatness.

Derek And The Dominos, Delany And Bonnie; good American bands that he fit in rather well. Some producer or engineer, I think Tom Dowd, was on NPR playing the multi tracks to Layla. First he played Eric's guitar part; terrible. Then he played Duanne's; Terrible. Then he played them together, discordent noise, sound like to different songs. Then he played them with the piano and it was beautiful. I don't understand why that was.

His solo carrer; proof that drugs do make you more creative?

Why is he an asshole? He has repeatedly said things along the line of "nobody understands Robert Johnson like I do". And "I really only want to play blues music, but I haven't had a chance". Then he started on the unplugged carrer. I can't belive how bad he sounds on that session and his 2 unplugged blues sessions. Most of the nice country blues parts are being played by someone else. His voice is horrible and whinie. The songs lack any subteltie finesse or emotion. What I've heard of riding with BB King isn't bad, but BB never is.

In the 80's he joined a racist anti-immigrant movement, but made it clear he still loves old Black Americans who pick cotton. It's only Indian's and Pakistanis living in England he had a problem with. And maybe some Jamacians.

Of course this is all just my opinion, I understand that people who like a lot of British rock love Clapton, and that's cool.

Dan

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Then he started Cream

He apparently made some bullshit remarks about Arabs and too many immigrants in the UK or some such shit.

I like Cream.

Don't forget the bullsh!t remarks about Hendrix.

You can say they were taken out of context all day, but I can't think of a context in which referring to Jimi as a "spade" would have been appropriate...

Then he started Cream

I like Cream.

Don't forget the bullsh!t remarks about Hendrix.

You can say they were taken out of context all day, but I can't think of a context in which referring to Jimi as a "spade" would have been appropriate...

Youch. I knew he was trounced by Jimi in that wankoff but I didn't know he took it THAT badly... truly a pathetic piece of shit