Comments

• legendlegend 124 Posts

I love foreign records!!!!

Co-Sign.
    double co-sign

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    great mix, interesting as well, that cora lyrics are the bomb

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    damn it!!! you beat me to i the punch. i'm working on a turkish/lebanese/egyptian/ethiopian mix right now. what would you call that?? i dare not reffer to it as the "orient". anyways... good stuff, maygne.

I found a couple things in Kroitsburg (SP?) when i was there. nothing too special.

Baris Manco was putting out records well into the 90s. He died rather recently, if i'm not mistaken. Even some of his later stuff is pretty good.

That dude Andy Votel pretty much holds the crown for Turkish facemelters. I saw him dj about 2 months ago and only recognized a few records.

• any one grab one of the vinyl only turkish comps. over at TSL a few months back??
    i missed it but wouldn't mind picking it up now.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    btw, regarding Turkish music there is an excellent film by Fatih Akin called "Crossing the Bridge - the sound of Istanbul" It??s partly in German only, but it really catches the diversity of music in the city and the amazing city itself. Recommended!

Trailer

http://www.crossingthebridge.de/

• subsub 311 Posts
    is someone able to write a tracklisting for the mix? i'm living in istanbul in the moment and need to add some of the tunes to my list...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    damn it!!! you beat me to i the punch. i'm working on a turkish/lebanese/egyptian/ethiopian mix right now. what would you call that?? i dare not reffer to it as the "orient".

Semitic Funk featuring the sound of Saba

• some highlights for me is

ERKIN KORAY arap saci / timbili 45

I prefer Arap Saci but loads of people dig Timbili

BARIS MANCO gon??l dagi 45 (on that trap door mix i read somewhere)

BARIS MANCO lambaya p??f de! / kalk gidelim k??heylan 45

BARIS MANCO ??l??m allahin emri 45

BARIS MANCO ben bilirim / 2023 45

that is for me the four essential Baris 45s, there are some more that are nice but not in the same class and maybe Iste Hendek, Iste Teve as a runner up.

OKAY TEMIZ dokuz sekiz / denizalti r??zgarlan 45 on Yonca

Baris Manco
    Ben Bilirim
    iste hendek iste teve

Okay Temiz
    Dokuz Sekiz
    Denizalti R??zgarlan

• ^^^^^^^thanks!

also feelin this mix right now.

someone just put a cassette tape called "Batsin Bu Dunya" by Orhan Gencebay in my mailbox at the radio station where I do a show. no note, just a mysterious turkish tape. I stated listening and it seems to have some definite redeeming value - at least worth digitizing. I've only listened to a few tracks, but it definitely sounds 70's (man with disco fever collar on cover would attest) and has some heavy drums. I'll post highlights when I get around to recording it. but this wah wah darbuka combo is

• ScopeCGNScopeCGN 163 Posts
    Hey Strutters,

nice to see this post bump up again after quite a time.
    And thank all of you for your suggestions on more turkstuff, also!

Best,

Scoper

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    That's my SHIT!

• subsub 311 Posts
    hey scope,

do you have a track list? would be dope.

gr??sse in die koelner heimat!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Interesting stuff. It seems like the type of stuff that will grow on me. Hey, I noticed that "Istanbul" song that rjd2 sampled from. Thanks for sharing that!

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    TURKISH MUSIC SUCKS.... BAD BAD BAD MUSIC!!! Like most Polish stuff... OVERRATED!!! Get back to Jazz people!

I don't want to know what those Turkish men are singing... there's better Turkish music... and better music in general...

Turkey is hit or miss for me. I like the first Erkin Koray lp, 3 El Hur, or even some of the Cem Karaca stuff. Also, the Bunalim lp Shadoks put out has some pretty decent moments. I will admit however that many of the Turkish lp's didn't grow on me although I can see the appeal for collectors. Edip Akbayram's stuff at times sounds like it came from a 70's OST, but overall the lp's just didn't have the consistancy I would have hoped for. I could understand why people would be looking for his music however. Nice mix btw to the original poster.

• nice -- i shall defiantley check this mix out later .....

and that OKAY TEMIZ track sounds insane..