new kanye single, diamonds

catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
premiered on hot 97 a few minutes ago - samples shirley bassey 007 vocals, lots of wild vintage-y keyboard stuff (jon brion's doing?) and is generally flavor. anyone listening in nyc? i'm sure this will make the internet rounds in a bit.

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    does kanye have a release date yet?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    The same one used on Diamond Mercenaries "Diamonds are forever". I guess we were 7 years ahead of time! Lol.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    july?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The same one used on Diamond Mercenaries "Diamonds are forever". I guess we were 7 years ahead of time! Lol.

I liked a lot of the stuff on Conception.

• Options
    I liked a lot of the stuff on Conception.

Eclipse w/ Arcee "World Premiere" is my joint.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Eclipse w/ Arcee "World Premiere" is my joint.

Word! A side of the 12" is dope too, "My Position." Jake Weezey and Moss should do a whole series of joints. Seattle and T-dot holla!

• shit is damn good.
    enjoy

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    shit is lame.

i predict sophmore slump for kanye.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    that shit is weaksauce

• maybe an instrumental would clarify the issue?

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    The beat is sick.
    And Kanye is well Kanye???..but does raising the octave thing when he says ???Forever??? things take a dive.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I'm not mad at that, really... but are they expecting it to be like a big radio hit? I can't see the little girls who liked Kanye's past pop hits really being able to get into that one. I could be wrong, though... if they play it 500 times a day on the radio (which I'm sure they will) people will start liking ANYTHING. That's what it seems like, anyway.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Another triumph for Kanye.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    the beat is weak

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    It's cool. I actually was over at kanye's crib last week. I had no idea but this dude I know in LA is literally his next door neighbor. Sick fuckin' crib man. He (Kanye)wasn't around though. Tom Leykis lives across the driveway!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I thought it was pretty dope.

preme, you in l.a. ?

• um...this is terrible. the beat is corny, the raps are self absorbed as usual. i really don't care to hear about what he couldn't afford and now can (for the millionth time), or about his yves saint laurent glasses for that matter. is this the lead single? awful.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

• spcspc 534 Posts
    here is my take on diamonds:

http://www.wonderlabs.jp/main/media/tracks/wonder_wazun-diamonds.mp3

needs to be reworked though.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    ehhhh... when he keeps bringing his voice higher and higher (for ever ever ever ever, etc) that shit is weak.

it sounds like a soundtrack beat.. if he wasn't on the beat it would be much better, it could just be used in some soundtrack and could work

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    the raps are self absorbed as usual.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    This beat is HOT in my opinion, it's a little cheesy but so were most of the beats on Cam's Purple Haze and I thought they were straight fire. Beats can still be a little cheesy and be hot, no reason to be so serious about music. Overthe top bomastic shit is cool in my book. Larger than life. So who did the beat if not Kanye? Oh yeah and he sounds about par to me, not my favorite no someone I hate.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    CON(YE)S
    1. Not the most original sample choice in the world
    2. Vocal mix is pretty lousy - sounds like a live-on-radio freestyle, productionwise
    3. Doesn't sound like a single

PROS
    1. The Bassey original is dope and this beat is good. I'd love to get an instrumental of this 12" and play it as a "Diamonds are Forever" remix by itself.
    2. Kanye's delivery & lyrics may not be the best, but they're still clever, funny, and distinctive.
    3. As Phill mentioned, nothing has to sound like a single if the label can buy enough plays to get radio muppets interested.

GRADE: B-

• slushslush 691 Posts
    oh man, so wack
    the beat sounds like he's trying provide music for a gay opera

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    oh man, so wack
    ??????? so what is "real" hip-hop supposed to sound like again? I'm sorry I guess I need to check my rule book more.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    The streets say:

• slushslush 691 Posts
    ??????? so what is "real" hip-hop supposed to sound like again? I'm sorry I guess I need to check my rule book more.

what are you asking me for? im a white guy from canada...

can i say a beat is wack and not make it an earth shattering discussion about what is real? that seems way to intense dude

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    oh man, so wack

Is "gay opera" the new "soft"?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    oh man, so wack

In that case you might want to steer clear of "Dipset (Santana's Town)."

• debardebar 215 Posts
    This beat is HOT in my opinion, it's a little cheesy but so were most of the beats on Cam's Purple Haze and I thought they were straight fire. Beats can still be a little cheesy and be hot, no reason to be so serious about music. Overthe top bomastic shit is cool in my book. Larger than life. So who did the beat if not Kanye? Oh yeah and he sounds about par to me, not my favorite no someone I hate.

some dude named Devo i believe.

really? it seemed like a different type of beat from kanye, but it still had that kanye steez (congas/bongos/whatever the fuck they are in the background, etc) in it. i would've never have thought it was someone else's beat.