Do you give money to homeless folls?

124»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    When I was younger, in my teens, I gave my change to homeless people constantly. Back then, there were maybe 20 percent the people on the streets as now. Not saying that's their fault, but living in the city, I get asked for change: walking in/out of an ATM, walking in/out of any convenience store, walking in/out of the subway, on the street at around 1/3 of the intersections in town...seriously, in one day I can be hit up by 30 or 40 different people.
    I only ever give money now to a few guys I always see in my neighborhood, on cold nights so they can either get a bed for the night or at least some hot soup or something. I hate just walking past people, but honestly, living in a city overflowing with homeless causes you to become desensitized to the sight.

And I fucking HATE 19 year old punk rock panhandlers!!!!!
    Almost every single one of them is a runaway from some upper middle class or wealthy family! Fact is, most genuinely poor kids would never consider it "cool" to panhandle like the Wstchester/Newton/Santa Cruz, etc punk beggars...

• I would feel a lot better if we all started making blanket generalizations about rich Republicans and how fucking worthless they are. Let's put our negative energy into that instead of talking about gutter punks

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Not really.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Let's put our negative energy into that instead of talking about gutter punks
    man, i'd really rather talk about how fucking stupid they look, trying to be all political, eating garbage and riding their BMX's around at 35yrs old. plus, they stink like shit.

• Let's put our negative energy into that instead of talking about gutter punks
    man, i'd really rather talk about how fucking stupid they look, trying to be all political, eating garbage and riding their BMX's around at 35yrs old. plus, they stink like shit.

OK, well I would really rather smash some Republican kneecaps than talk about that shit.

OK, well I would really rather smash some Republican kneecaps than talk about that shit.
    that's pretty hostile... don't forget to vote!

Yes, voting seems to be very cathartic and gratifying for a lot of people. Errr, I mean about 25 percent of the people.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    The last two times I've given money to folks, both laid the guilt trip on me. The latest case involved some guy who needed a room for the night, so I gave him $5 after he chased my friend and me down. Of course, he asked why I couldn't give him more. You know you always think about it after the fact, but I wanted to ask for my money back, or at least tell him that it takes me about 45 minutes to make that amount of money, so unless he wants to render his services for 45 minutes (no homo), he should at least pretend to be grateful.

Yes, voting seems to be very cathartic and gratifying for a lot of people. Errr, I mean about 25 percent of the people.
    i'm not republican, but my dad is, and i think he's a good, honest person... and i'm pretty sure you don't want to smash his kneecaps. i'm gathering that you DIDN"T vote?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    wow we went form giving money to homeless people to destroying the legs of those that vote republican?

I like republicans cause they have differing opinions. To wish violence on someone based on the fact that they don't think the same as you do is pretty messed up

• They'll ask me if I got any change, and I'll say "real change comes from within, my friend". I love the blank stare they give me after that one!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    "real change comes from within, my friend."

Everytime you write some thing all I can see is your avatar saying it.

ALWAYS creepy.

Ted Danson...heh.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I like republicans cause they have differing opinions.

from each other or the majority of the population who voted them in or from those on SoulStrut or from...?

• Everytime you write some thing all I can see is your avatar saying it.

ALWAYS creepy.

yeah, I said it before but that damn avatar is , my friend.

i'm not republican, but my dad is, and i think he's a good, honest person... and i'm pretty sure you don't want to smash his kneecaps. i'm gathering that you DIDN"T vote?

Yeah dude, I voted but at the end of the day it doesn't mean shit. None of who I am and what I do is invested in voting. And no, I don't really want to bash in your dad's kneecaps - my comments were a mixture of frustration and sarcasm prompted by a lot of disheartening and predictable homeless-bashing earlier in the thread.

Do you guys really think all these young homeless are running away from these wonderful upper-middle-class-to-wealthy families because they think it's cool to be homeless? OK, maybe some do, but a lot of people run away because they're coming from very abusive households. And several people around here made comments that suggest they don't have any understanding of that.

• Republicans stole the vote anyway.

• Do you guys really think all these young homeless are running away from these wonderful upper-middle-class-to-wealthy families because they think it's cool to be homeless? OK, maybe some do,[/b] but a lot of people run away because they're coming from very abusive households[/b]. And several people around here made comments that suggest they don't have any understanding of that.

And several people around here made comments that suggest they don't have any understanding of that
    And several people around here made comments that suggest they don't have any understanding of that

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Who's giving stars to these threads?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I like republicans cause they have differing opinions.

from each other or the majority of the population who voted them in or from those on SoulStrut or from...?

I meant differing opinion from me and most of the "Hollywood elite" that I hear Bill O'reily trying to smash on. really though to have uniform beliefs and discussinos would make things not only boring, but frightening as well

• I give money to dudes everyday cuz my mom and dad taught me to. And I'm usually broke! I dont care if they spend it on booze, or crack. if a dude is out on the street begging for change then they probably need a drink. this all may have been covered but I thought I would chime in on this cause it feels important to me. Shit, at least the cats I know out here on milwaukee are happy to see me. Oba, my main man out here, says he used to play with Sun Ra.

• there was this dude out here in dc a few years back that would play a little flute type dealie for money. I'd only heard him play shit like phil collins for the tourists. one day we drove past him on the way to the skatespot and he looked right at the car and started playin watch out now by the beatnuts. dope.

• one day we drove past him on the way to the skatespot and he looked right at the car and started playin watch out now by the beatnuts. dope.

Yo that's fresh!

• Wow. I always think in a bad way when it comes to this. I think to myself why are they on the streets asking for money. They can get themselves a job if they look for one. A lot of people just don't want to take the time to look for one.

There are people out there that would hire a homeless person they just have to look out for them. Everybody needs to learn something from the Latinos that come here with no hopes but to get paid more than in there country. They stand out in the hot ass sun trying to sell what they can. I think people that were raised in the U.S don't appreciate a lot of things that they have.

I agree but it's not as easy as it seems.

I got off the streets by putting a fake address on a job application and using a friends number as a message phone. Once I got the job, I was still homeless and when the boss found out he fired me. He didn't give a reason but it was the only time I've ever been fired. When i got another job it still took over a couple of weeks to get into a weekly motel and then a couple of months to save up for an apartment.

Have you ever tried to find a place with bad credit and no references? It ain't easy.

Most jobs take three weeks to send out the first paycheck. Have you worked for three weeks, homeless, with no money to eat or wash clothes? I have. I'm not saying poor me, I'm just trying to illustrate how hard it is to get on your feet. It took me two years before I felt somewhat stable.

Everybody needs to learn something from the Latinos that come here with no hopes but to get paid more than in there country.

They also have a strong culture and support system here. There are whole industries catered to them. Plus they have a better work ethic than the average spoiled american. Not an excuse, just sayin'.

See that's what I am saying. It can be done if they have there mind set on it. Sure it's hard to stay on the streets without a paycheck for a few weeks but isn't it harder staying on that street forever.

Artifactor, are you speaking from personal experience? Not trying to pick a fight but if you're not speaking from personal experience but rather from a place of privilege then you really ought to spend some time trying to understand what life is like for a lot of people in this country. And Taza One, thank you very much for sharing your experiences, it means a lot to me. Like a lot of other people around here, it seems, I've definitely had a bias against helping younger people out on the streets. It becomes very easy to assume young people asking for money are all bored trust-fund kids or whatever, but it really isn't fair to make those kind of assumptions without any specific knowledge of the individual.

Ya you are right I am just saying that I have seen it done and it is possible for almost all that try. I still give out change every now and then but only to the serious heads that are disabled and most likely have no chance. But you never know they might be asking for money temporarily while they are trying to get back on their feet. I don't know.