Do you give money to homeless folls?

Comments

• Once i was in a Del Taco near USC(everytrhign else was shut, surrious) and this dude came in who cant speak, he has a sign asking for bread. Ive seen dude many times, hes the real deal. Anyway, dude walks in and i hit him off with a dollar. He then approaches the guy next to me, who is a white guy with DREADS, A BACKKPACK, AND A RAGE AGASINT THE MACHINE HOODY ON. Believe it or not this motherfucker starts talkign shit to the homeless dude, who i feel i should mention is twice this whippersnappers age.

Kid starts on some "Just becuase your fuckin deaf i gotta look out for you? get a job you fuckin loser, your not my problem... why dont you get the fuck out of my face?"

At this point i lost it. I got all up in his grill and whispered in his ear to respect his elders before i beat the fuck out of him. SOme random girl starts yapping "its his choice whether to give money or not"

Then she told me to mind my fuckin business.

Thank god there were cops eating in there.

• i never give them cash and i hate it when people ask. if anything, id buy them some food or something healthy to drink. i'd rather see them eat then see them destroy themselves even more eventually they're gonna stick me up just so they can get a rock so fuck that.

• Oh and the look in the homeless dudes eyes when he mouthed "thank you" to me... i wont forget it any time soon.

• I give money, and while im at it, I give more than you.

Classy, yet contentious. Are you talking about money?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I give only if they have a sign that is really funny. There is this dude in DC that has one that reads:

"NINJAS KILLED MY FAMILY - NEED MONEY FOR KARATE LESSIONS".

• I give only if they have a sign that is really funny. There is this dude in DC that has one that reads:

You can't be serious. That shit is fany.

• I give money, and while im at it, I give more than you.

Classy, yet contentious. Are you talking about money?

Look, every time I come to this site I see something that offends me but that seems to pass for common values and I keep stumm because I'd rather post about RR stuff. So I vented on you and it was the wrong person. I remember you've posted some sensitive stuff about poverty and politics. I apologize for getting on you.

• who is a white guy with DREADS, A BACKKPACK, AND A RAGE AGASINT THE MACHINE HOODY ON. Believe it or not this motherfucker starts talkign shit to the homeless dude, who i feel i should mention is twice this whippersnappers age.

Kid starts on some "Just becuase your fuckin deaf i gotta look out for you? get a job you fuckin loser, your not my problem... why dont you get the fuck out of my face?"

On a somewhat off-topic tip I saw Audioslave yesterday (basically Rage with Chris Cornell as lead). A show that is not to be missed. Played lots of Soundgarden and lots of Rage stuff. Chris can't hold a candle to Zack on Rage songs though.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    edited by docbeezy.

yeah. over the internet shit gets all scrambled. sarcasm doesnt come off right when it is supposed to and waht not.

its all good.

• I give only if they have a sign that is really funny. There is this dude in DC that has one that reads:

DC is

No way dude! Where is he usually?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I don't tend to give money, but just about anytime I leave a restaurant with leftovers, I give them to a homeless person. When doing this, don't forget to ask for some plastic utensils as well!

No way dude! Where is he usually?
    Yo, I just noticed he has a web address on his sign
    www.RESPECTMYGANGSTER.COM/BITCH

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    There's this one dude that stands outside my work every day, right at the crosswalk and asks for money. He pushes the crosswalk button for everyone as they come up which is cool. I used to give him change all the time, but then one day I thought "why the fuck can't this dude just get a job as a crossing guard or something?" I mean if dude can stand for 8-10 hours at a time with his hand out...duh. I don't get it.

I understand there might be something wrong with dude that he can't hold a job, but he holds pretty normal conversations with people all day long. shit I even walked by one afternoon and he was reciting "Rappin Duke"...shit made me giggle. Dude seems real cool and real able. I hate it but I have to think that begging for change IS his job. I think he makes a nice earning there on the corner, tax free.

• I give when I can which isn't often these days. I'm poor as hell.

Being homeless myself for 4 years I leaned about the diversity of situations. From drug addiction to mental illness, to laziness, to tough luck. Shit just happens sometimes. For me it's important not to judge. I try and stay aware of the hustlers who don't deserve it. I know of a guy who panhandles everyday in Beverly Hills and returns to his apartment downtown. The guy is a dick, but I know him so I say fuck him. He could work. Overall I think our society needs a little more compassion. We're too greedy and self centered. Always ready to place blame to cover our ignorance or guilt.

I got off the streets with no help. I'm not talking about couch surfing. I was strictly gutter but I got out. I also know I'm stronger than most. I quit heroin, cigarettes, and crack on my own. I'm an exception. Most people need a hand. Some people are rotten individuals who deserve their situation but that's not for me to know. I can't tell some ones story by one glance.

One of my worst memories was going hungry for three days and being desperate. I actually stood outside the restaurant area asking people for left overs. Nobody believed I was homeless because i stayed clean, was young, and looked good. Looking good was one of the only things that helped my self esteem but it backfired because no one wanted to help me.

Don't judge, help if you can, if you can't, just move on. It bugs me how offended people get when asked for money. It's only a question. We're all entitled to speak our minds and ask questions in public. It's public space for all, including the homeless. Just say no if you can't help. Don't flash on anybody.

One time I posted a story about an obese homeless woman bathing naked in a Beverly Hills fountain, and that PC girl Emma at STMB went off on me saying I was discriminating against the homeless and fat women. I just thought it was funny seeing the shock of the Beverly Hills locals, but she wanted to project on me like I hated homeless and women. I'm the wrong guy to fuck with on this issue. I guess she was trying to be caring for the homeless, which is better than indifference or contempt. I'll give her that.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    There's this one dude that stands outside my work every day,

still waitin on the e-mail Josh Hommes

• that PC girl Emma at STMB went off on me saying I was discriminating against the homeless and fat women.

Emma is a wonderful person.

• When I have left overs I always either give it to a person in need or leave on top of a garbage can/news box so someone can get it and have something to eat.

I never ever give money to young gutter punks. Fuck them dudes.

Sorry if that pushes buttons but if you're 1). Young 2). Able bodied 3). and especially white, the world is yours. These motherfuckers being lazy or trying "to buck the system" don't deserve a shit.

My attitude changed towards homeless folks. I used to always give money, but once I started going to school in Downtown SF and I see the same dudes day-in-and-day-out chilling and just asking I cut that shit out.

I see some dudes try and earn theirs by doing something (this one guy knits, while another dude will try and sing) and I definetly try help.

[

• that PC girl Emma at STMB went off on me saying I was discriminating against the homeless and fat women.

I'm sure she is. I just don't like knowitalls, unless it's me.

• Wow. I always think in a bad way when it comes to this. I think to myself why are they on the streets asking for money. They can get themselves a job if they look for one. A lot of people just don't want to take the time to look for one.

There are people out there that would hire a homeless person they just have to look out for them. Everybody needs to learn something from the Latinos that come here with no hopes but to get paid more than in there country. They stand out in the hot ass sun trying to sell what they can. I think people that were raised in the U.S don't appreciate a lot of things that they have.

sorry I was being sarcastic. who remembers her beef with day?

• Wow. I always think in a bad way when it comes to this. I think to myself why are they on the streets asking for money. They can get themselves a job if they look for one. A lot of people just don't want to take the time to look for one.

There are people out there that would hire a homeless person they just have to look out for them. Everybody needs to learn something from the Latinos that come here with no hopes but to get paid more than in there country. They stand out in the hot ass sun trying to sell what they can. I think people that were raised in the U.S don't appreciate a lot of things that they have.

I agree but it's not as easy as it seems.

I got off the streets by putting a fake address on a job application and using a friends number as a message phone. Once I got the job, I was still homeless and when the boss found out he fired me. He didn't give a reason but it was the only time I've ever been fired. When i got another job it still took over a couple of weeks to get into a weekly motel and then a couple of months to save up for an apartment.

Have you ever tried to find a place with bad credit and no references? It ain't easy.

Most jobs take three weeks to send out the first paycheck. Have you worked for three weeks, homeless, with no money to eat or wash clothes? I have. I'm not saying poor me, I'm just trying to illustrate how hard it is to get on your feet. It took me two years before I felt somewhat stable.

Everybody needs to learn something from the Latinos that come here with no hopes but to get paid more than in there country.

They also have a strong culture and support system here. There are whole industries catered to them. Plus they have a better work ethic than the average spoiled american. Not an excuse, just sayin'.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    When I have left overs I always either give it to a person in need or leave on top of a garbage can/news box so someone can get it and have something to eat.

I never ever give money to young gutter punks. Fuck them dudes.

Sorry if that pushes buttons but if you're 1). Young 2). Able bodied 3). and especially white, the world is yours. These motherfuckers being lazy or trying "to buck the system" don't deserve a shit.

My attitude changed towards homeless folks. I used to always give money, but once I started going to school in Downtown SF and I see the same dudes day-in-and-day-out chilling and just asking I cut that shit out.

I see some dudes try and earn theirs by doing something (this one guy knits, while another dude will try and sing) and I definetly try help.
    man phonics, co-sign on all of the above. my girl is friends with all these crusty gutter punks, and i don't let them into my house. she says i'm becoming republican, but that advantage flea medication is fucking expensive! whatever. it seems like the more money people make, the less likely they are to part with it in an altruistic sort of way* (i'm talking about myself now). there's one guy in georgetown that's been here forever... doesn't usually ask, but i'll give him a couple of bucks when it's there. that's about it. SF bums will follow you into the grocery store, and fuck with you all the way to the check out line.

I got off the streets by putting a fake address on a job application and using a friends number as a message phone. Once I got the job, I was still homeless and when the boss found out he fired me. He didn't give a reason but it was the only time I've ever been fired. When i got another job it still took over a couple of weeks to get into a weekly motel and then a couple of months to save up for an apartment.

Have you ever tried to find a place with bad credit and no references? It ain't easy.

Most jobs take three weeks to send out the first paycheck. Have you worked for three weeks, homeless, with no money to eat or wash clothes? I have. I'm not saying poor me, I'm just trying to illustrate how hard it is to get on your feet. It took me two years before I felt somewhat stable.

Everybody needs to learn something from the Latinos that come here with no hopes but to get paid more than in there country.

They also have a strong culture and support system here. There are whole industries catered to them. Plus they have a better work ethic than the average spoiled american. Not an excuse, just sayin'.

See that's what I am saying. It can be done if they have there mind set on it. Sure it's hard to stay on the streets without a paycheck for a few weeks but isn't it harder staying on that street forever.

• man phonics, co-sign on all of the above. my girl is friends with all these crusty gutter punks, and i don't let them into my house. she says i'm becoming republican, but that advantage flea medication is fucking expensive! whatever. it seems like the more money people make, the less likely they are to part with it in an altruistic sort of way* (i'm talking about myself now). there's one guy in georgetown that's been here forever... doesn't usually ask, but i'll give him a couple of bucks when it's there. that's about it. SF bums will follow you into the grocery store, and fuck with you all the way to the check out line.

I never have problems with Frisco bums. Just the Berkeley ones. I figure they think Berkeley people are soft.

• See that's what I am saying. It can be done if they have there mind set on it. Sure it's hard to stay on the streets without a paycheck for a few weeks but isn't it harder staying on that street forever.

True dat.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    that PC girl Emma at STMB went off on me saying I was discriminating against the homeless and fat women.

sorry I was being sarcastic. who remembers her beef with day?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    LOL @ emma... she gives new meaning to 'unintentionally hilarious'... and is always quick to leap up on that high horse...

See that's what I am saying. It can be done if they have there mind set on it. Sure it's hard to stay on the streets without a paycheck for a few weeks but isn't it harder staying on that street forever.

Artifactor, are you speaking from personal experience? Not trying to pick a fight but if you're not speaking from personal experience but rather from a place of privilege then you really ought to spend some time trying to understand what life is like for a lot of people in this country. And Taza One, thank you very much for sharing your experiences, it means a lot to me. Like a lot of other people around here, it seems, I've definitely had a bias against helping younger people out on the streets. It becomes very easy to assume young people asking for money are all bored trust-fund kids or whatever, but it really isn't fair to make those kind of assumptions without any specific knowledge of the individual.