recomend horror movies and soundtracks!

2»

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    get a time machine, go to canada in the 70s and watch the made for kids tv show called "Hilarious House of Frankenstein" that had a lot of lsd imagery and a wolfman dj that would play stuff like sly stone.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

this soundtrack is my shit...............the headhunters/Hancock

• Top 10 material. This movie has mythological status in my world. I like British horror in general, especially when they try to be hip. Scream and Scream Again is great, combining classic horror icons with lurid beat imagery. Genuinly weird.

Cosign on Frank Hennelotter. Just watched his Frankenhooker again. The guy retired from making movies and since then runs Something Weird video. I admire their entire catalogue.

• Ha, I know the guy who directed this film, Rene Daalder, who is from the Netherlands. I do the illustrations for a film column he writes. He's now a true believer in digital technique. He's very radical about it. He would like to make life action feature films with no other human beings involved. He thinks human beings are inefficient. He's weird.

This is the tagline for his last film:

"The inmates of an insane asylum are subjected to experiments using collective consciousness and surgically implanted chips in an attempt to create perfect citizens."

He's very nice in person, if you're not too inefficient.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ^^^Argento for sure... And yep any of Goblin's music. They scored a lot of his films...

One of the most frightening films I've ever seen was Dario Argentos "Terror at the Opera".

Holy shit. Only the inappropriate music ruins it for me.

Haute Tension[/b] aka High Tension directed by??Spanish fella Alexandre Aja

France 2003. This is fucking a full on film... Has it all & the tension just builds & builds & beautifully photographed... almost 100% success.

Highly reccomended.

Great overview here... and yes the ending does kind of kill it, but 1000% better than any US film.

The music reminded me of the effect that John Carpenter used in his classic & still effective film Halloween.

Check here[/b] - http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/E-H/haute_tension_uncut.html

and check here as well[/b] http://www.hightensionmovie.com/

Oh yeah, you want a truly 'squirm in your seat' film. Try the Austrian film FUNNY GAMES[/b].

I made the mistake of taking 2 friends to see it. Holy shit, did I get bashed after that choice.

They shat themselves. the film is played so realistically & it has one of the hardest scenes to watch that goes for about 20 mins & you wish it would just hurry up & get on with it.

But it would have lost its effect if it had. Amazing. An unsual film & not to everyones taste.

Some might think it's boring, others may think its sadistic. Gave me the creeps.

The mere premise of a film like the mid 70s flick, 'Black Christmas' is enough to scare the shit out of anyone... as too is the similarly themed 1979

'When A Stranger Calls'. Which has one of the most memorable lines in cinema history that will give you goosebumps when it is said...

I don't want to ruin it...so don't read any reviews of them...

Just find & watch un-impeeded by to much information.

These are 2 films that scared the living shit out of me when I was a youngster.

I watched them alone on video in the 80s. Bad move... I can tell you.

Thats when I realised how thoroughly freaked out I could become by watching films. I was entertained by being so freaked out.

Take the phone off the hook, turn the lights off & watch them with your girlfriend & they'll be clinging to you like nothing else.

Both are now available on DVD (at Amazon) & I think I might have to get them to see if they still hold up.

UK Covers

For those of you who read the bottom type & like horror flicks, I shall reward you with this dope site.

http://www.itsonlyamovie.co.uk/page1.htm

Loads more...

This soundtrack is also worth picking up..

great recommendations. didn't know if high tension was going to be good, but will check it out now seeing you like Opera and Funny Games.

• On the European-is-this-an-art-film-or-horror-film?-but-either-way-it-makes-you-feel-very-uncomfortable tip:

Try the Belgian Calvaire.

• this is a pretty good movie. The music however is seriously the best original soundtrack I have EVER heard. By a psychodelic-funk group called the Frogs:

They just issued the soundtrack for the first time a few years ago.

The producer for the Frogs was actually John Cameron of KPM/De Wolfe Fame. Though the full soundtrack was never officially issued there was a 45 of the incredible "Witch Hunt" pressed up on the JAM label. Runs about $300+!!

I've been dying to see this film - so it's out on DVD?

• It's out, but maybe only for Japan and Europe. I saw it at a festival and the director was there and he was so terribly stoned, he couldn't answer any question.

my friends saw it at the Toronto FF last year and they were all flabbergasted. From what I heard, it's totally my type of movie. I think the director worked with Gaspar Noe at some point.

• It's out, but maybe only for Japan and Europe. I saw it at a festival and the director was there and he was so terribly stoned, he couldn't answer any question.

AWESOME!

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

I have a working print someone sent me, PAL of course. I don't know if I have the extra's, but it was an advanced copy they sent the distributors. I got it when this cat in the UK sent me the Turtles Can Fly promo last month. You can have it. I wish I would have thought about it and I would have given it to you at SFLV!! lol

It's ok, but SUPER predictable...like SUPER predictable. If you turn off your brain, you'll be shocked I guess...but if you think during the film, the "shock" moments per say are pretty much laid out before they even happen. It is somewhat graphic however.... It was better than Haute Tension at least, which was probobly the most over hyped film in 2003/2004...at least in terms of French films.

I have a working print someone sent me, PAL of course. I don't know if I have the extra's, but it was an advanced copy they sent the distributors. I got it when this cat in the UK sent me the Turtles Can Fly promo last month. You can have it. I wish I would have thought about it and I would have given it to you at SFLV!! lol

It's ok, but SUPER predictable...like SUPER predictable. If you turn off your brain, you'll be shocked I guess...but if you think during the film, the "shock" moments per say are pretty much laid out before they even happen. It is somewhat graphic however.... It was better than Haute Tension at least, which was probobly the most over hyped film in 2003/2004...at least in terms of French films.

i had kinda forgotten about it actually. i'd love a copy next time we see each other.

did you hear? C.R.A.Z.Y. is going to be the Canadian submission for the Oscars. dude, can you call them or what?

send me the title of that other film again and i'll try to find out if it has distribution, unless you found out already.

• Try the Belgian Calvaire.

Cosign. It's very much a debut.

one of my faves - that bouncing ball was nuts.

they're remaking it - stupid f*ckers.

it's canadian!

• they're remaking it - stupid f*ckers.

for fucks sake will they stop with the horror remakes, gets some fuckin new ideas
    there is also a remake of the fog coming out, this is the only remake that i have any intention of seeing, but thats only cause of brad anderson

hollywood is fucking retarted

• hollywood is fucking retarted

Haute Tension[/b] aka High Tension directed by??Spanish fella Alexandre Aja
    France 2003. This is fucking a full on film... Has it all & the tension just builds & builds & beautifully photographed... almost 100% success.
    Highly reccomended.

Great overview here... and yes the ending does kind of kill it, but 1000% better than any US film.
    The music reminded me of the effect that John Carpenter used in his classic & still effective film Halloween.

Check here[/b] - http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/E-H/haute_tension_uncut.html

and check here as well[/b] http://www.hightensionmovie.com/

I saw this on the weekend.

So good. The twist was one of the best I've seen in a while - did not see that coming at all. The title is perfect.

SPOILERS

I would have finished it at the kiss on the road after she gets in the shoulder and maybe only quick flashes of the hospital (her feet dangling, the cuts on her back, Alex from the back to know she's ok) as opposed to a full scene.

I know after the twist, it required stretching the imagination a bit - but what didn't make any sense were her injuries from the car accident. She couldn't be transporting Alex in the truck and driving/flipping the yellow car at the same time.