This weekend: The Apocalypse (NRR)

Scratch_n_SniffScratch_n_Sniff 353 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I was planning to take the bus to march on washington and fight the power this Saturday, but what if that hurricane that is moving into the Gulf picks up? The NY Times forcasted to hit Houston at 2pm on Sat, and it should turn into one motherfucker of a storm if it hits the same warm waters that Katrina hit. Is it still ethical to be diverting national guard troops to watch me protest/pepper gas/beat me submissive, if other people need help?

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    pittsburgh?!?!?! not another one! where in the burgh you from?

• I'm from Amherst, MA, but I'm going to school at Carnegie Mellon. I live in Squirrel Hill.

• I was planning to take the bus to march on washington and fight the power this Saturday, but what if that hurricane that is moving into the Gulf picks up? The NY Times forcasted to hit Houston at 2pm on Sat, and it should turn into one motherfucker of a storm if it hits the same warm waters that Katrina hit. Is it still ethical to be diverting national guard troops to watch me protest/pepper gas/beat me submissive, if other people need help?

yes, they have more than enough.

• Thats good enough for me. Jello Biafra is going to play a concert in front of the Washington Monument. It's going to be a crazy weekend.

• someone just told me bush wants to pay for katrina out of medicare funds

am i hallucinating????

• nope.

"WASHINGTON -- House Republicans are looking at delaying some federal spending, including money for a prescription drug benefit under Medicare and thousands of highway projects, to offset the cost of rebuilding the Gulf Coast, a leading GOP fiscal conservative said Sunday."

House GOP Seeks to Offset Katrina Spending
    By DOUGLASS K. DANIEL
    The Associated Press
    Sunday, September 18, 2005; 3:45 PM

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    The last time it flooded here in Houston was TROPICAL STORM[/b] Allison. There were fire engines flooded out on the freeway with so much water you couldn't even see the tops of them. There was also a guy riding a jetski down my street.

The one really shity thing with Rita is that it will make land fall on Saturday. Not M T W TH or fucking even Sunday. Way to rain on my weekend.

Pointman's things to do list for the weekend[/b]

1. secure vinyl in waterproof cases and have it ready for evacuation.

2. Reconsider that gig playing in Austin this weekend.

3. Buy copious amounts of booze... errr I mean bottled water.

4. Find a nice girl to spend the weekend with, that thinks storms are "hot."

5. Buy shotgun to defend my Texas Raer from digging looters.

• Thats good enough for me. Jello Biafra is going to play a concert in front of the Washington Monument. It's going to be a crazy weekend.

actually Jello is the host. There's no mention of him actually singing. But it's going to be a great and important event.

The Operation Ceasefire performer schedule is as follows:

2:05 PM - Machetres

2:30 PM - Living Things

3:18 PM - Joan Baez

3:50 PM - Wayne Kramer and the Bellrays

4:41 PM - Steve Earle

5:31 PM - The Coup

6:23 PM - Sweet Honey in the Rock

7:09 PM - The Evens

7:54 PM - Ted Leo+Pharmacists

8:50 PM - Head Roc

9:37 PM - Thievery Corporation

10:59 PM - Pure Belly Dance

11:27 PM - Bouncing Souls

12:12 AM - Le Tigre

The following speakers will appear between the musical acts:

Host Jello Biafra
    Co-Founder of Gold Star Families for Peace Cindy Sheehan
    Representative Lynn Woolsey
    Washington Wizard Forward Etan Thomas
    Former State Department Officer Ann Wright
    National radio commentator Jim Hightower
    Fernando Suarez del Solar of Gold Star Families
    Reverend Graylan Hagler
    Cindy Corrie, mom of peace activist Rachel Corrie who was killed in the West Bank
    Code Pink and Global Exchange Co-Founder Medea Benjamin
    The DC Guerilla Poets
    Investigative Journalist Greg Palast
    Iraq Vets Against the War Co- Founder Michael Hoffman
    Anti-Flag drummer Pat Thetic
    and more.

• Damn. I had no idea. My local organization's website only had Jello Biafra listed. This is going to be a great event. Thank god that Micheal Moore guy isn't on the bill. He does some good work, but dude also loves the attention, and hogs the spotlight.

He came and hosted a John Kerry rally at my school last fall. He had Anti-Flag come on stage and buchter "This Land Is Your Land". It was