Diamond D Appreciation Thread

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Even though he dissed me in Elemental because I didn't include "Dune" in the Top 5 CTI records. See how we come full circle with the posts here?I go on and on like popcorn/ with the butter/ a aa yo I used to stutter

Comments

• Diamond D = that shit. D was killing it on Deep Crates, IMO.

• that shit.

that shit.

that shit.

that shit.

that shit.

practically goes without saying at this point...

• still sounds so good.

One line that always confused me, maybe someone can decipher:
    'People always say hey I like the way he makes beats/ he doesnt use breakbeats'
    Huh? Have I been missing the point for ten years.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    haha thats always confused me too. like, dawg, you use maad breakbeats

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    maybe he's talking about not using ubb

• Yes let me reiterate: one of the greatest of all time no doubt. Give it up for my man.

• it's referencing the point that many producers at that time were just cycling through the UBB series and DITC cats were some of the only dudes digging up more obscure records to sample.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I really liked the tracks "The Light" and "The Truth" that he did for Pharoahe Monch.That's some of his finest work to me.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    He's one fat fuck.

I used to tape Mimi Brown's rap show (I forget the name) on WDAS and I remember when they broke "I'm Not Playing" on the radio. Master Rob was like "Yeah my partner Diamond D. The D stands for DOUBLE DOSE OF DINNER."

Me and Mighty Mi laughed about that on the subway on the way to school that Monday. I finally met Mr. Kirkland at his "Hatred Passion & Infidelity" (AKA Worst Album Title EVAR) release party and dude just kinda sat in the corner and ate buffalo wings.

• I think he was talking about the earlier generation of UBB breaks, versus what they were calling the "new" mostly slower breaks they were using when [email]SB@HH[/email] dropped.

edit: Get a late pass X3!

• Some people call him JoJo

• He's one fat fuck.

I used to tape Mimi Brown's rap show (I forget the name) on WDAS and I remember when they broke "I'm Not Playing" on the radio. Master Rob was like "Yeah my partner Diamond D. The D stands for DOUBLE DOSE OF DINNER."

Me and Mighty Mi laughed about that on the subway on the way to school that Monday. I finally met Mr. Kirkland at his "Hatred Passion & Infidelity" (AKA Worst Album Title EVAR) release party and dude just kinda sat in the corner and ate buffalo wings.

classic!

• He's one fat fuck.

classic!

Now you snackin on 4 chicken wings

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Art = Life

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i was a late comer to him, my first encounter was on the 2nd house of pain album on the track, "word is bond" that song is sooo ill...was that a muggs/lethal or diamond d production? sounds like a muggs kind of thing too me

he scared me on that digging crates thing

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Art = Life

I love chicken wings AND I hate DUNE on CTI. For real.

• "Hatred Passions & Infidelity" was such a disappointment

"THIS ONE RIGHT MOTHERFUCKING HERE"

• he scared me on that digging crates thing
    Yo A, you gotta watch shit again. Dude's got jokes. What's even funnier is he's mad sweaty (ayo?) during the interview. Which confirms A.I's point of him being big boned.

• He's one fat fuck.

classic!

Now you snackin on 4 chicken wings

I thought it was "now you snackin' on poor chicekn wings"

but yo..

I really liked the second album. Yeah it had some fuckin clunkers on it, but it had a good number of tracks that I liked (Gather 'Round, That weed joint with Sadat, The Busta Joint, Five Fingerz of Death, the opening joint etc...)

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    One line that always confused me, maybe someone can decipher:
    'People always say hey I like the way he makes beats/ he doesnt use breakbeats'
    Huh? Have I been missing the point for ten years.

I'm still wondering what he was thinking when he rapped "My style will embrace you like a pair a pliers".

• Don't sweat it G, Why don't you let it be.

• Anyone remember the Sally got a one track mind video?? That great black and white photography, Diamond in his car just driving around making left turns, head nodding.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Don't sweat it G, Why don't you let it be.

So what you're saying is, in other words, that he's official.

• I think what I'm saying is he'll never go out like a wet piece of tissue.

• i was a late comer to him, my first encounter was on the 2nd house of pain album on the track, "word is bond" that song is sooo ill...was that a muggs/lethal or diamond d production? sounds like a muggs kind of thing too me

he scared me on that digging crates thing

Diamond did the remix from what I recall - I pulled this 12" out the other day... I don't know who killed that Cal Tjader better Diamond or Premo - damn, both tracks are ill.....

• Anyone remember the Sally got a one track mind video?? That great black and white photography, Diamond in his car just driving around making left turns, head nodding.

One of my favorites from back then. Who has this video?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i'm real surprised he gets so much love despite how terrible of a rapper he is. IMO, he ruined his great beats because his voice and god-awful flow are too annoying to listen to. i feel the same way of a lot of tracks on 'intoxicated demons,' so maybe i'm missing something.

• The Busta Joint

THIS ONE RIGHT MOTHERFUCKING HERE

• diamond d is a pedigree

best kept secret = great track/worst video evar

watch the sound = sweatiest fat man video evar

word is bond = dope diamond verse "make haste, i stick it to you like paste"
    "giving my mommmmmz demo tapes, foaming at the mouth, dreaming of making papes"
    "dont be the lintball on my sleeve"

"gather round"= one of his best songs. great bassline (anyone else use that?) great lyrics. "lifes a game of chess and i ...play like a russian"

"i fly through the air like a dirty city pidgeon..."

dude fell in love with chocolate rollos

for real though i HEART diamond on the mic and with the loops

newfound respect for my mom when i found john handy "carnival" in her collection. my momz gots diamond d loops!!!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    "Hatred Passions & Infidelity" was such a disappointment

"THIS ONE RIGHT MOTHERFUCKING HERE"

But I liked the dbl instrumental vinyl for it. That and I was given 8 boxes of them.