Weekday Finds (9/19-23)

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Some stuff I found for cheap today, in the real world, at Replay Records in Stockton:

Stop sleepin', dave!

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Went for a walk this morning to get a new battery for my watch during a couple of free periods. Came across the following records, the first 2 are much needed upgrades & the others are some nice stuff I didn't have. I can't post pics because I am still at work, dammit I wanna go home.
    Johnny Cash at San Quentin
    Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
    Stan Getz - In Paris 1958-1959
    KC & The Sunshine Band - Do It Good
    Bob Marley & The Wailers - The Best Of (Beverley's, old stuff)

• Amoeba $1 bin:

(Bull and Kindred are WLPs)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Amoeba $1 bin:

No wonder you West Coast guys act all high & mighty*...out there they put Donald Byrd Blue Note records in dollar bins?? Around here they try to put over VG+ copies for $20! Is gas like 30 cents a gallon out there, too?

*this part isn't actually true

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Amoeba $1 bin:

Yo, Magic, you put out a record in the 70's?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    How is that Joseph McCarthy is alive in Dade Conty? they have one at Goodwill, but I'm too cheap to "risk it son".

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    latest ebay purchase, just got in the mail yesterday:

*not mine in photo. My copy was still sealed too!

Has anyone ever seen a mono pressing of this?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    latest ebay purchase, just got in the mail yesterday:

*not mine in photo. My copy was still sealed too!

Has anyone ever seen a mono pressing of this?

That is SWEET! Never seen on in the real world. Good lookin'.

• How is that Joseph McCarthy is alive in Dade Conty? they have one at Goodwill, but I'm too cheap to "risk it son".

I'll tell you if it's good but assume it sucks; I just got it to sell -- private press gay musicals are big money you know.

• Some stuff I found for cheap today, in the real world, at Replay Records in Stockton:

Stop sleepin', dave!
    How is that Donald Byrd-Ethiopian Knights?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Some stuff I found for cheap today, in the real world, at Replay Records in Stockton:

Stop sleepin', dave!

if i may answer for him: GREAT!

• Gracias.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Stop sleepin', dave!

if i may answer for him: GREAT!

MUCHO great.

• Some stuff I found for cheap today, in the real world, at Replay Records in Stockton:

Stop sleepin', dave!

can I holla at that grant green alive?

• Grant green record si off the hook. Mine is completely beat to shit.

• Grant green record si off the hook. Mine is completely beat to shit.

I love that record. Traded it about 4 or five years ago for Ramsey Lewis, Chick Corea and a random harp record. Needless to say, I am still trying to replace it.

• hows that Fela "Zombie"?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Stop sleepin', dave!

can I holla at that grant green alive?
    No, I'm stocking up on those.
    It's all right. I can only really take about the first 7 minutes of each side, then it starts to grate. It's still good enough to have doubles of, though.

hows that Fela "Zombie"?
    Pure fire.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    you're weird man

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

'TITIRITANDO'?? what the hell does that mean?

• hows that Fela "Zombie"?
    Pure fire.

Honestly it's pretty far down my list of Fela recs, despite its historical significance.

Rey, what Felas do you own? Interested to know (b/w hedging my bets)

Honestly it's pretty far down my list of Fela recs, despite its historical significance.
    Yeah, I was kind of just hyping it just in case I decide to e-bay it.

Rey, what Felas do you own? Interested to know (b/w hedging my bets)

Expensive Sh*t, Shakara, Alagbon Close. I'm also feelin'--but don't own on vinyl: Roforofo Fight, Kalakuta Show & The '69 Los Angeles Sessions.

• Options

Longtime disco request answered via Soulstrut.

Sweet soul Jamaican style.

Gorgeous reggaer soul track on a very rare Toronto label. Probably sell this to Sip as I know he's a big fan....and it's a double.

K in Canada.

Stop sleepin', dave!

shit. now there is no point in going up there after you cleaned it out.

oh well i got some stuff today in the "real world" disco heads let me know if these are worth anything paid about .60 each

modulations-it's rough out here (slight dish warp that unfortunatly affects play on the first song on each side)
    fania all stars-live at yankee stadium (nice funky cut also cool version of vivatirado)
    12" Dee Dee Bridgewater-Bad For me
    12" Fat Larry's Band-Center City/fascination
    12" barry white-it's ecstasy when you lay down next to me
    12" silk midnight dancer/get on up
    12" big foot watch your step/i apologize (interesting disco jazz funk produced by juggy (murray?)
    12" enchantment-i know your hot spot
    12" east coast-the rock
    12" vernon burch-dr do it good/never can find a way
    12"loleatta holloway-catch me on the rebound/salsoul orchestra-instrumental
    vaughn mason and butch dayo-feel my love
    12" bobby broom-saturday night
    12" instant funk-i got my mind made up
    12" heath brothers-use it(don't abuse it)/dreamin (cool jazz disco modern soul track that i really like, the only one of these i may keep)
    12" isley brothers-inside you/part 2
    12" ellis hall jr-every little bit hurts/back it up
    12" most requested rhythm band-got to give it up/brick house (damn 10 minute long tracks)
    12" starpoint-i just wanna dance with you/same
    12" bohannon-cut loose/the beat (part 2)
    12" the writers-what's come over me/share your love
    12" mike theodore-the bull/same
    man's theory-just before dawn
    kwick-s/t cool modern soul (hey guzzo you should have this)

there was another crate of disco/modern soul stuff but i ran out of money, mostly promos and whatnot.

dave

• Dave, nothing much on the 12"s, you should still make your money if they're mint. I did well with random disco 12"s on ebay.

The Dee Dee Bridgewater is a Levan production if I'm not mistaken, you can get $10-15 on it, the Loleatta Holloway I think is like $20 (if it's the one I'm thinking of). The East Coast 12" can get like $10 or 15. Is it the brown label or RSO? That Heath Brothers might be decent, I don't know it.

Not that I'm the disco expert, but I see a lot of random major label 12"s.

• classic mid 90's boombap

• Dave, nothing much on the 12"s, you should still make your money if they're mint. I did well with random disco 12"s on ebay.

The Dee Dee Bridgewater is a Levan production if I'm not mistaken, you can get $10-15 on it, the Loleatta Holloway I think is like $20 (if it's the one I'm thinking of). The East Coast 12" can get like $10 or 15. Is it the brown label or RSO? That Heath Brothers might be decent, I don't know it.

Not that I'm the disco expert, but I see a lot of random major label 12"s.

thanks for the info. i did a search on gemm and found out basically the same thing. i'll probably do a batch up on ebay.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

OK, in my opinion. His Mizell stuff is better on the Fusion tip, and Ethiopian Knights for the Soul-Jazz.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=B&page=28