GONG, YOU

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I just found this record in a dollar bin... Never saw it or heard of it before... But I think it's pretty dope. Anything else by these guys got funky shit on it? Any info on these guys... and what's worth checking?Peace...FNM

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    oooh you gotta check out "Shamal" man.

• oooh you gotta check out "Shamal" man.

Good lookin' out, Kenny, thanks...

Peace...
    FNM

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Angels Egg is a great album, not really for the beats its jus a good album. Gong are a band that have clearly taken too much lsd over the years & they like to sing about pot head pixies & flying teapots so u cant go wrong.

• Yeah, out of the ones I've heard, Shamal is probably the best. Even their later stuff has its moments though.

• Gong - Camembert Electrique

Wasn't this their first one? Recorded on a farm in France. It's very trippy and good.

Related:

Dashiell Hedayat - Obsolete (Could have been a (good) Gong album. With Gong members.)

Daevid Allen - n'existe pas (Solo record by Daevid Allen. This is one of the most insane records I've ever heard. Lengthy rabit monologues on god with a space groove in the background. His other one Banana Moon, I can't listen to it.)

Angels Egg is indeed very dope. Especially 'Prostitute's Poem'.

• Daevid Allen was the original guitartist in Soft Machine, they went to France to play, when they tried to get back in the UK, Allen was denied entry because of a drug charge or something, so he had to stay in France, thus he started Gong...I have seen a pic of Allen era Soft Machine playing, but have never heard it...would like to though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Daevid Allen was the original guitartist in Soft Machine, they went to France to play, when they tried to get back in the UK, Allen was denied entry because of a drug charge or something, so he had to stay in France, thus he started Gong...I have seen a pic of Allen era Soft Machine playing, but have never heard it...would like to though.

The first 45 has Allen, and I think there are some demos too... early Soft Machine is that real schitt

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    And why is it that dudes on here are always big-upping SHAMAL? Is it just because of a Nas sample??? From what I remember that record is not very representative of their sound, nor is it one of their better releases...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    theres record called Jet Propelled Photographs that collects the first recording sessions of The Soft Machine.

from reading the liner notes though its hard to tell if its recorded with or without Allen.. First it recounts the story of how he was refused entry back in the UK before the sessions were recorded... and then it metions him being unsatisfied with his guitar playing on the sessions.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Yeah, if you're into "You" their catalog really only gets better from there.

• I have a track on one of those French Philips electronic music records with the chrome covers. On that track the composer tape-manipulates recordings of the student riots in Paris in 1968 and he mixes that with Daevid Allen's guitar riffs for Soft Machine. That's what the cover says anyway. I'm a bit ill-informed right now since I have to dig that record up. If I find it I will record the track and post it. Needless to say it's

but it won't get your girl in the mood or anything.

• Okay, here's some early guitar work by Daevid Allen. It's from the time in between Soft Machine and Gong. I don't know how this track was made and if the beat was lifted from some record. I don't recognize it. It might be sampled (or "found" as they called it at the time). Guitar work by Daevid Allen was recorded for the track, that's for sure. Noise in the background are the student riots in Paris from 1968. The track featured on Philip's Electronic Panorama from 1969.

Francois Bayle - Solitioude

When you decide to listen, please don't give up on it before the third minute because after that it becomes pretty hot (for an intelectualist avant garde track anyway).