CREATIVE JUICES (NO AYO!)

2»

Comments

• Collaborate with someone on a project different to one you've already done.

Definitely agree with this as well as Big Stacks. I was working on many non-music things last year and had agreed to work on some music with a buddy of mine just for the eff of it. I signed up for a remix and mixtape contest and before I knew it I had some projects under my belt. I can't do the once a day or once a week make a beat/mixtape/remix thang - my shit has got to be when I'm in the mood and thats about every few months and mainly cuz I got other shit to handle and like Stacks, gotta maintain that balance, including the creative side. But colaboratin' with dude really helped. Not only that, but hearing and seeing others inspire me. If I hear a dope mixtape then it inspires me to go home and work on some shit. Last but not least is I work better with an end goal or focal point. Whether its a remix/mixtape contest or making a demo mix for a new club to spin it - that always gets me going.

• I couldn't imagine having a family and trying to be creative. Damn, I have enough trouble with a 9-5 and dealing with a commute. I had a whole task list of things I had to get done this weekend and only ended doing one of them. I also want to-

Learn a foreign lanuage
    Start a company
    Write a book
    Write a screenplay
    Shoot a short film
    Learn Adobe Illustrator
    Make a DJ mix
    Lift weights

Damn, I need like 100 hour days to get this all done. The shame of it all is that my job doesn't require much of my time yet I can't sit at my desk and write a book. I should start bringing my laptop to work. I'm just so damn tired when I get home from work usually. Time to cancel that Netflix and focus, focus, focus!!!

• I couldn't imagine having a family and trying to be creative. Damn, I have enough trouble with a 9-5 and dealing with a commute. I had a whole task list of things I had to get done this weekend and only ended doing one of them. I also want to-

Learn a foreign lanuage
    Start a company
    Write a book
    Write a screenplay
    Shoot a short film
    Learn Adobe Illustrator
    Make a DJ mix
    Lift weights

Dude, you were cool until the last one. Lift weights if you want to, just don't talk about it.

• my roomate is trying to juggle being an engineer and a amateur bike nerd. he could probably go pro if he left his day job, but there is no guarantee.

for him, it is physically impossible to enter pro level races and lock down is dayjob at snap-on tools as an engineer.

even slanging the records gets in the way of making beats. dubious knows what i'm talking bout!

• i have a couple of friends whose parents had collections of interesting music. both of them turned me on to hot shit, and i owe it to their dads!!

i would love to see soulstrut kids 15 years from now. to study the effect of their parents being record nerds on their own listening habits.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Raj,

I'm feeling you on this. School/work just started up for me and my kid again and I'm getting it from all ends.

I gotta get up at 6:30 am to drop off my kid so I can be at work at 8am. The school screwed me on the first day of school with my schedule. I just had an essay due last Wednesday. Took me 5 days of about 4-5 hours of grading each day after school to finish them, that's not counting the regular class work and homework that I gotta grade. I have to cook dinner for my grandfather 3 days a week. Now my kid is getting homework and I have to help him with most of that. My girlfriend is all pissed off at work and is working overtime most weekdays so I don't get any help around the house or with the kid. When she is home she wants attention so no computer, music, anything individualistic. Overall I feel like a broken man sometimes.

The only thing I can say is that I get short periods of freedom when I don't have any big assignemnts to grade, and everything's cool at home and I finally have some energy again and I get inspired to do something little like make a mix. Those don't come often, but it sure does feel good when they do.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ive been having crazy visions (ideas) lately but i just am not motivated enough to put any of them to work. i know a lot of the shit i come up would be good if i actually put it out and worked hard on it, but i just don't feel like it for some reason. ive been trying to work on mixes and shit just isnt coming out both on the creative side and the actually working on shit side. anyone else ever feel like this?

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    please don't respond with: you need to drop a tab or smoke a 40 or get laid.

Seems like you do not want the one answer that will solve all of your problems, Raj Mahal.

Raj Mahal... I remember him...

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    ive been having crazy visions (ideas) lately

been sippin' some Kava at the cafe?

• is this the curse of family life?

Yes.

please don't respond with: you need to drop a tab or smoke a 40 or get laid.

Go watch some Dora, dog. You'll feel better.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    You made a kid man. Thats hella productive. I wouldnt worry about it.

I feel what paychecks is saying too. Dedicating you whole life to that shit definitely takes away from other things. Its probably not the easiest or best path to happiness either. Being broke is crappy, and you dont have any sort of stability.

Remember though, theres really no rush. Whenever you find the time to create and you can be in the best place to do so you will find your best work comes out. THose types of limitations can also force you to work differently. Dont get hung up on all your obsessive compulsive stuff about your own music and just flow with the time you got.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

THIS AIN'T AMERICA IS IT?

WHERE COULD I BE?[/b]

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Take a leaf from madlibs book, he swears that marijuana increases creativity by 10 times & every1 feels more creative when stoned.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    sup lotus!

Paycheck speaks the truth up there.

people often put these ideas in their heads like "im gonna do this.. im gonna do music 24 /7" and bascially they find that soon enough they have made themselves MISERABLE

in my opinion you should do what makes you HAPPY and you'll find it an awful lot more satisfying.

that said multitasking is a damn good idea if you want the creative juices to go up. If i just worked on my own tracks i would probably loose focus but right now im collaborating and doing the production for 4 other projects. I still have a large creative hand in those projects but i also try and define a role within them and let the collaborators lead / call most of the shots. so for one i only really have to worry about playing guitar, another im just playing bass for.

• The older I get and more responsiblities I take on the less time I have. Period. It's frustrating but I don't think there is anything you can do about that.

I guess you just have to prioritize and appreciate what you have. Raj, when your kid is grown you'll have plenty of time on your hands and you'll look at these years - their childhood - as the most valuable time of all.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    MY SCHEDULE IS CRAZY HECTIC. the best thing to do is work with other people. i have several producers and musicians that i work with. i never really have any problems. i may bring something to the table or they will bring something. you never really run out of ideas when you have team. that been my way of workig for some time now. it's been great. been three years since i opened my studio and it been great ever since. one platinum album and many to come.

www thecraftbeats.com