Your 10 Most Disappointing Pro Sports Players???

Comments

• Hey Guys,

2. Al Wood.
    -Cat was an All-American small forward for UNC in the late 70's, just to be a bust as an NBA pro. Cat only played like 6 years and then faded into oblivion.

The Sonics drafted this bum. We somehow traded this foolio for Dale Ellis
    ss
    My most hated list is primarily composed of Seattle flops.

1-5

1. The Boz- I remember really thinking he was taking us to the Super Bowl. They even had a song on the radio that was a remake of "La Bamba" called "La Bosworth", I taped that song and ran it on the regular. We were all waiting for him to do something in his rookie year and it just never happened. His greatest moment was getting run over by Bo Jackson numerous times on Monday Night Football. What a embarrasment.

6. Jerome James- THANK GOD the dumb ass Knicks took him off the Sonics hands. This dude actually has some serious talent for a 7'1 guy but is really the dumbest player I have ever watched.

7. Ricky Watters- I really used to HATE this dude. He was the king of running his mouth and achieving nothing. Ricky would regularly turn a 20 yard gain into a 5 yard one. Because of this flop, dumb ass Holmgren traded Ahman Green to the Pack for Fred Vinson. He was the most mediocre running back I've ever seen.

8. Bobby Ayala- Was responsible for blowing all types of leads as closer for the Mariners. Dude just had absolutely no heart whatsoever.

9. Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire and Kelly Stouffer- Somehow all these bums were 1st round draft picks for the Seahawks. Mirer showed a little promise his rookie year but he was really not smart enough to play qb in the nfl.

• Options

eric lindros

as far as disappointments, as a long time nordiques fan (stastny brothers were heroes followed by joe sakic) i've gotta say at first i was disappointed with him. still young enough to look up the these guys and dream (even though as a cali kid i knew it was highly improbable) of playing in the nhl, i could not understand how you could say you were not going to play if you had to play with that team. to me it was always a fucking game, which is why they call it playing. how could you not want to play? every team has a chance, from first to last, and if you are as dope as you say you are lets see what you got. (looking forward to seeing what crosby has.) i never wish an injury on anybody, but boy does it ever seem like karma. in the end lindros was traded to philly for one of the best players in the world, peter forsberg, along with mike ricci, ron hexall, chris simon, steve duchesne, two draft picks, and some cash (i think i might have forgotten a player or two). pieces of that trade were later used for trades for patrick roy, alex tanguay, ray bourque, and rob blake. so in the end the giant disappointment turned my team into two time stanley cup champions.

p.s. there was a time when lindros played in philly on a line with leclerc and i believe recchi that they were pretty dangerous.

I'm pretty sure Sakic wore the blue and white and red, too. Their team would have been devastating, I agree. Unfortunately, the Lindros incident furthered the Toronto/Francophone divide, too.

K.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I always think of zubaz pants when I think of the boz.....

I can't believe people are calilng Lindros a bust. Yes dude was not the next Gretzky or Lemieux, but he put in some damage during the Legion of Doom era. Just a reminder, dude won the MVP one season, take a look at his stats. Although I would say he has underachieved, but that has a lot to do w/ his decision making, on and off the ice. I think dude has finally learned his lesson, no more skating w/ his head down across centre ice. Plus Bobby Clarke is a grade a prick so that really messed things up for a bit.

The two best drafting teams in the last few decades imo are the Nordiques and Expos. Too bad neither could hold it together financially in their home city to win a title. Especially the Expos since they had a very decent shot during the lockout year in 94 or 95 (can't remember).

Football imo tends to have the biggest ratio of famed busts. Mostly because there's not much of a minor league system in place, where players can develope in a more relaxed environment. Plus the life expectancy of an NFL player is already short compared to other pro leagues.

I still got my 89 score Tony Mandrich rookie card....but if you think about it that year rookie class was nuts. Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders, Andre Rison, Derrick Thomas, Neon Deon, Steve Atwater

• Paul Coffey - look, dude won 3 Norris trophies, 4 Stanley Cups, and is in the Hall of Fame - so I ain't trying to claim he was a "bust" for most of his career, but he landed in Boston as his final stop with a lot of fanfare, and I was psyched to get him because I admired him, but DAMN dude was a nightmare!! You cringed everytime he was on the ice...too bad.

There is absolutely, positively, no way that Paul Coffey should be anywhere near this thread!

2nd all time scoring for Defenseman. Five 100+ point seasons. Three Norris trophies. Four Stanley Cup rings..cmon man!

Yes he bounced around late in his career but the guy could still skate BACKWARDS better than 95% of the NHL could skate forwards...definately one of the most amazing skaters to lace em up in the history of the NHL.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    did you read what I wrote, or just get so infuriated at his picture you replied immediately? As an admirer of his playing, who was excited to see him signed, I was definitely "disappointed" when he was unable to do anything but cause the other team to score goals over and over again for his very brief stay with the Bruins. Other than that, he's one of the best skaters ever to play the game.

• - Ray Finkle. How he missed that field goal that cost the Dolphins the Superbowl is beyond me. I mean, 26 yards? Shiiit, my 2 year old could do that. True, the excuse that Marino put the ball with the laces in coulddddd be possible, but not likely. I give this guy top fucko status.

• Danny Ferry

if your gonna bring up this guy don't forget the clippers pick the year before danny manning #1 overall. in elementary school my best friend was a die hard clippers fan. they had a series of first round picks that never worked out for them. i remember the two of us talking shit to each other, me the nordiques fan vs him the clippers fan. for a while it was pretty bad either way you looked.

• did you read what I wrote, or just get so infuriated at his picture you replied immediately?

yes, I am guilty of this and owning his instructional video "skate like a pro"

• I'm pretty sure Sakic wore the blue and white and red, too. Their team would have been devastating, I agree. Unfortunately, the Lindros incident furthered the Toronto/Francophone divide, too.

K.

yeah sakic became captain of the nordiques when they traded peter stastny ( but he also played for team canada in 1984 canada cup, and for slovakia in the 1994 olyimpics (sorry i know.. :takeittoyour10mostinspirationalprosportsplayer?:)) . (side note they picked up already hall of famer guy lafleur that year) sakic was pretty young and didn't do too well. they came in absolute last place winning only 12 games. they drafted lindros after that season. but i totally forgot that his reason was he didn't want to play in a freach city. if things werent already bad enough the nordiques agreed to two different trades, one to philly and the other to the rangers. they had to have an arbitrator come in and decide which trade was agreed on first.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    My most hated list is primarily composed of Seattle flops.

As a fellow (and lifelong) Seahawk fan, we've certainly had our share, haven't we?

1. The Boz- I remember really thinking he was taking us to the Super Bowl. They even had a song on the radio that was a remake of "La Bamba" called "La Bosworth", I taped that song and ran it on the regular. We were all waiting for him to do something in his rookie year and it just never happened. His greatest moment was getting run over by Bo Jackson numerous times on Monday Night Football. What a embarrasment.

I remember hoping that Seattle would pick him up, because I wasn't used to circuses surrounding the Hawks. He was a flambuoyant player that was exciting at the time, and I'm sure that Seattle-ites were excited at the time, too (I've always lived in Chicago). Too bad he turned out to be the Vanilla Ice of the NFL.

7. Ricky Watters- I really used to HATE this dude. He was the king of running his mouth and achieving nothing. Ricky would regularly turn a 20 yard gain into a 5 yard one. Because of this flop, dumb ass Holmgren traded Ahman Green to the Pack for Fred Vinson. He was the most mediocre running back I've ever seen.

Watters was no flop. IMO, he was one of the top 5-6 RBs we ever had. If I recall correctly, Shaun Alexander precipitated Green's trade (esp. as Vinson was never really more than trade ballast). And Green doesn't look so solid right about now. Ricky wasn't the PR problem that he was in SF and Philly, either.

9. Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire and Kelly Stouffer- Somehow all these bums were 1st round draft picks for the Seahawks. Mirer showed a little promise his rookie year but he was really not smart enough to play qb in the nfl.

Right. Mirer actually had one of the best rookie seasons for ANY NFL rookie, but it was all downhill from there. McGwire was ALL arm and nothing else. I remember once when he threw the ball out the back of the end zone from his own 30, overshooting his man and the triple coverage. Jesus Jesus Jesus. I wonder who was wide open underneath. Kelly Stouffer just was a career third-stringer that started by default.

Oh - and Bears fans (I'm not in that number) have certainly had their busts. Enis and Salaam have been mentioned, but McNown has not yet had the indignity. At least the Bears took Mirer off our hands for a first-rounder or two. Hell, Mirer has been on 4 or 5 teams since. Some fools never learn.

• UK Heads:

Ray Parlour - should have stayed as a plumber
    Keiron Dyer - Dyer by name as they say.....

• Options

Paul Coffey - look, dude won 3 Norris trophies, 4 Stanley Cups, and is in the Hall of Fame - so I ain't trying to claim he was a "bust" for most of his career, but he landed in Boston as his final stop with a lot of fanfare, and I was psyched to get him because I admired him, but DAMN dude was a nightmare!! You cringed everytime he was on the ice...too bad.

There is absolutely, positively, no way that Paul Coffey should be anywhere near this thread!

2nd all time scoring for Defenseman. Five 100+ point seasons. Three Norris trophies. Four Stanley Cup rings..cmon man!

Yes he bounced around late in his career but the guy could still skate BACKWARDS better than 95% of the NHL could skate forwards...definately one of the most amazing skaters to lace em up in the history of the NHL.

Yeah if Coffey is a disappointment, then so is Jerry Rice. G*O*G*S et al - looks like we have some hockey fans south of the border (and some informed ones at that).

K.

• Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Jason Williams and almost every other over-hyped Duke player.

I don't know if these guys would have been considered "future legend" potentials, though. I'm talking about top-dawg type cats.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

All of these guys were predicted to have great pro careers......especially Laettner.....he was a living legend at Duke.....I mean I personally think Laettner should have been on your initial list instead of Derrick Coleman...at least DC had a few "good" NBA seasons (20 points 10 rebounds averages)...I might be a little biased against "Dook" (Tarheels all day everyday) but I got so sick of hearing how these guys were going to be so great at the next level.

Coach K produces great college players and good college coaches

Dean Smith produced great NBA players (the best ever) and great college and NBA coaches

• Does anyone remember Randolph Childress? He was at Wake Forest but he just faded into obscurity (Does anyone even remember what team drafted him).
    Who knows about Lou Roe? He was a local product (Atlantic City) and was also
    in college (UMass).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I might be responding to the wrong post. Remember guys, when I think of "duds", I'm referring to guys that should have become legends, but end up mediocre (at best) or awful (at worst). Here are some more:

Should have become legends.........

At one time unstoppable.........

So Much Hype........looked unstoppable in the Finals

Could the NBA ride his jock any fuckin' longer

God Shammgod had crazy NY press and then

Last but not least...........Sorry your just an above average guard who has made any of your teams better.
    So much hype coming up....has yet to become what the public expects.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    The Sixers in the past decade alone have produced enough tears with huge let-downs:

Shaun Bradley
    Clarence Weatherspoon
    Glen Robinson
    Chris Weber

C-Webb better do something this year or I'm going to personally murk him.

-e

The Sixers in the past decade alone have produced enough tears with huge let-downs:

Shaun Bradley
    Clarence Weatherspoon
    Glen Robinson - He's already peaked.
    Chris Webber - Had his chance in SAC. He blew it.

Dont hold your breath....

-e

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Paul Coffey - look, dude won 3 Norris trophies, 4 Stanley Cups, and is in the Hall of Fame - so I ain't trying to claim he was a "bust" for most of his career, but he landed in Boston as his final stop with a lot of fanfare, and I was psyched to get him because I admired him, but DAMN dude was a nightmare!! You cringed everytime he was on the ice...too bad.

Yeah if Coffey is a disappointment, then so is Jerry Rice. G*O*G*S et al - looks like we have some hockey fans south of the border (and some informed ones at that).

K.

OI!!!

Thats like saying this guy way a bust!!

Cause he only scored 9 goals in his last season. And wasn't close to the player he once was in the last few years with the rangers.

• The Sixers in the past decade alone have produced enough tears with huge let-downs:

Shaun Bradley

Clarence Weatherspoon

Glen Robinson

Chris Weber

-e

Major co-sign....I remember about 11 years ago, the Sixers came to Atlantic City to do some training. I met Shawn Bradley and Tim Perry. Perry was a really cool and down-to-earth dude, while Shawn Bradley was a straight asshole. Personally, I'm glad he was a bust...

Shaun Bradley
    Clarence Weatherspoon
    Glen Robinson
    Chris Weber

-e
    Major co-sign....I remember about 11 years ago, the Sixers came to Atlantic City to do some training. I met Shawn Bradley and Tim Perry. Perry was a really cool and down-to-earth dude, while Shawn Bradley was a straight asshole.{ersonally, I'm glad he was a bust...

Bradley looks good on Dallas as the backup center playing limited mins.
    He has found his niche. He should have never been given the franchise label.

Ps. Yao Ming might be the same thing.

• 6. Rahsaan Salaam.
    -Cat was naaaastay at U of Colorado as a halfback (1994 Heisman Trophy winner), but stunk like dog shit as a Bear and Dolphin (if I remember correctly). I thought dude was gonna make serious noise as a NFL runner, but it NEVER happened.

The Bears have had so many busted picks, it's sickening (they also had some great picks. Brian Urlacher?!?). How about Cade McNown for starters? Dude was a joke at quarterback, in a tradition that stands to this past Sunday, with their No. 1 Rex "Hexy" Grossman sidelined until December and their possibly-promising rookie Kyle Orton in his place.

Here's a few more from Chicago:

1. Eddy Curry. Hometown boy with too much promise as the Bulls' top big man. He finally starts coming into his own in a contract year only to be sidelined with an irregular heart beat, a malady which leaves him virtually uninsurable, to the dismay of his agent who wanted to test the free-agent market. Still, Curry's pushing for a sign-and-trade.

2. Jay Williams. A little bit of a mixed-blessing tragedy with this guy. Was looking pretty good as a rookie before his motorcycle accident, leaving the Bulls fucked yet again, although they did get a good player to play in his place in Kirk Hinrich, as well as Williams' former Duke teammate Chris Duhon.

3. Nomar Garciaparra. Less-than-stellar in the Cubs' failed Wild Card run last year and injured during most of this year's disappointing campaign. He finally is starting to put up some All Star numbers, toward the end of his 1-year deal. He should come back to the Cubs next year at a discount -- on principle.

• Last but not least...........Sorry your just an above average guard who has made any of your teams better.
    So much hype coming up....has yet to become what the public expects.

dumb ass knicks

Kicks fans could make their own sub-thread. Waiting for UMAD to weigh in....

• ... and yoigotbeats.

Warriors fans could make a slightly different thread: 10 worst ways to trade off your best players

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    NFL:
    ki-jana Carter
    Blair Thomas
    Tony Mandarich
    Tim Couch
    Akili Smith
    Heath Shuler
    Peter Warrick

NBA:
    Darius Miles
    Marcus Fizer
    Michael olowakandi
    Joe Smith

MLB(pitchers):
    Paul Wilson
    Matt Anderson
    Ben Mcdonald

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

we got so many dissapointments just in the confines of philly
    eric lindros
    mamula
    a whole litany of phillies pitching prospects
    PAt Burrel

Pat's KILLING it this year. Sorry, he doesn't belong on this list considering kid's still young. Give him time.

Phillies disappointments though?

Ricky Jordan
    Ron Jones
    BRANDON DUCKWORTH - this kid shoulda been a stud.
    Marlon Byrd
    Kyle Abbot

Don't worry, I think a ton of our young players (Howard, Utley, Myers) will pan out quite well.

Other baseball disappointments...

Kevin Maas - Yankees
    Greg Jeffries - Mets
    Kevin Seitzer - KC
    Hensley "Bam Bam" Muellens - Yankees
    Sam Horn - Baltimore / Boston
    Mike Greenwell (The REAL 1988 MVP) - Boston
    Kelly Mann - Atlanta
    Luis MEdina - Cleveland

Remember Brien Taylor - P, Yankees?

• 1. Brian "The Boz" Bosworth
    2. Ryan Leaf
    3. Cade McNown (I heard he works at Walmart now)
    4. Eric Lindros
    5. Jason "Motorcycle" Williams
    6. Kerry Wood
    7. Sam Bowie
    8. Tony Mandarich
    9. Kwame Brown
    10. Michael Olowokandi

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    6. Kerry Wood

Ouch. But true.

• Watters was no flop. IMO, he was one of the top 5-6 RBs we ever had. If I recall correctly, Shaun Alexander precipitated Green's trade (esp. as Vinson was never really more than trade ballast). And Green doesn't look so solid right about now. Ricky wasn't the PR problem that he was in SF and Philly, either.

This dude broke like one tackle in five years for us. He somewhow thought he was a power running back when he arrived. The year before we got Ricky we had the 6th ranked offense in the league. As soon as he got here we slid to 23rd.

Being a Seahawks fan is rough. Shit has got to turn around at some point.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• Ronnie Fields - Never made it to the pros and it wasn't his fault. Anyone from Chicago remember this guy? 94, I believe, this guy was on the Farragut High basketball team with Garnett as a teammate. Imagine a high school basketball team where Kevin Garnett wasn't the best player. Dude was unstoppable, hyped to be the next big thing. I was a freshman in high school and playing basketball in Chicago religiously at the time so this guy was my hero. Then during his senior year he got into a car accident and wrecked himself for good. No pros for him while his not as good teammate Garnett went on to become one of the best players in the NBA. Sad and seriously disappointing at the same time.

DJ Ferrari