Kanye (NBC Hurricane Relief Fund Telethon) -

PEKPEK 735 Posts
edited September 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
On NBC and its affiliates -Not the whole clip, but Kanye's 'George Bush doesn't care about black people' - any subsequent broadcasts will be edited w/o fail, but here it is as it unfolded: notice Mike Myers growin' increasingly uncomfortable and the quick flip to Chris Tucker...I know some folks are gonna say he did it for publicity and the like in the wake of the release of his album this week, but depress the cynicism for a sec and cut 'Ye a little slack for maybe a modicum of integrity -

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I know some folks are gonna say he did it for publicity and the like in the wake of the release of his album this week, but depress the cynicism for a sec and cut 'Ye a little slack for maybe a modicum of integrity -

Publicity-driven or not, this stand in addition to his stand against homophobia has given me a respect for Kanye that far outstrips my feelings about his music.

• I know some folks are gonna say he did it for publicity and the like in the wake of the release of his album this week, but depress the cynicism for a sec and cut 'Ye a little slack for maybe a modicum of integrity -

Publicity-driven or not, this stand in addition to his stand against homophobia has given me a respect for Kanye that far outstrips my feelings about his music.

i agree

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i would have to agree. the problem with being a public eye figure is that everything you do can be construed as a PR move. But I am willing to look past that (and pink shirts) if someone is putting their platform to good use.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Why do I get the feeling if it had been Fifty on there, his straying from the script would have been more like "so please call now...anddon'tforgety'allTheMassacrespecialed itionCDandDVDwithexclusivepreviewsofmynewmovie"GetRichorDieTrying" hitsstoresseptembersixthpeepitgggggggggGUNIT!"

• my fuckin man right there!!!!!!

new found fucking respect!!!!!

who gave mike myers that corny ass scripted bitch ass shit to say?

more kanye....make this shit uncomfortable

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Why do I get the feeling if it had been Fifty on there, his straying from the script would have been more like "so please call now...anddon'tforgety'allTheMassacrespecialed itionCDandDVDwithexclusivepreviewsofmynewmovie"Ge tRichorDieTrying"hitsstoresseptembersixthpeepitgggggggggGUNIT!"

"and phuck terror squad"

• Integrity aside, the point of this program was to raise money for people in need, not to tell the world how you feel one way or the other about George Bush, racial politics in America, etc.
    To that end, I have to wonder just how many people across America tuned out when he started running his mouth - thus cutting off an untold amount of much needed funds to people in dire, dire need.
    There's a time and place for everything.
    I really don't think that was the time for that.

Just sayin.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    America is REALLY full of shit sometimes...

And i do mean it.

Soultrut raising funds, that's dope. that's even the best shit to do.

Now please...If you want to see action, then REPLACE black people with whites. There would be NO fund raising at all because ONE DAY of wall street stock exchange is enough to solve the problem. The will makes a difference in that case.

This shit is ridiculous...not fund raising. Once again, this is the BEST example of how civilize people can be. But this shit is so shamful : celine dion giving a million ,diddy too, now kanye's talking. What THEE fuck??? One day of ammunition in Irak will save a whole hood. That's a point. I'm really feeling sad for what happened. I got people from my family in Texas that welcomed people from NO. So don't tell me shit...But Bush is full of shit...That little smirk on some white people face on CNN, i didn't like it.

White people on CNN said this : "our country looks like Sudan or something"...Well mofocker, N.O. or Louisiania is LIKE THAT the whole year. There's the same amount of Blacks weither Katrina is there or not. That's insane. White people in America makes me sick. I'm turning off CNN right now.

For the heatrocks, i would need some Kusini LP...anyone?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    my fuckin man right there!!!!!!

new found fucking respect!!!!!

who gave mike myers that corny ass scripted bitch ass shit to say?

more kanye....make this shit uncomfortable

NO DOUBT

THAT WAS THE SHIT AND BETTER MAKE HEADLINES

that dude was caught up in how he felt.

Now please...If you want to see action, then REPLACE black people with whites. There would be NO fund raising at all because ONE DAY of wall street stock exchange is enough to solve the problem. The will makes a difference in that case.
    Can you explain what this means? Not even messin' - I just don't follow what you are saying...

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    White people in America makes me sick. I'm turning off CNN right now.

For the heatrocks, i would need some Kusini LP...anyone?
    Nice transition...fucking superb!
    One day of ammunition in Irak will save a whole hood.
    Brilliant...

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    not again...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Integrity aside, the point of this program was to raise money for people in need, not to tell the world how you feel one way or the other about George Bush, racial politics in America, etc.
    To that end, I have to wonder just how many people across America tuned out when he started running his mouth - thus cutting off an untold amount of much needed funds to people in dire, dire need.

Just sayin.

Yea, but don't you think people kinda want to see something like this when they tune in. Everyone knows about the disaster, so it's not like he's yapping is going to get people to not care. If anthing I think it will get more people to tune in cuz the word on this stuff spreads fast and people tune in to see what's up.

Plus, as noble as telethons are, they are also snooze fests and if it wasn't for the high end performers and the chance someone "slips" on live TV no one would watch at all.

It's one of those strange things where I wouldn't do it but it doesn't suprise/bother me that someone else did.

All the black congress persons and ACLU had a press conference today stating a similar view.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Integrity aside, the point of this program was to raise money for people in need, not to tell the world how you feel one way or the other about George Bush, racial politics in America, etc.

Just sayin.

Yea, but don't you think people kinda want to see something like this when they tune in. Everyone knows about the disaster, so it's not like he's yapping is going to get people to not care. If anthing I think it will get more people to tune in cuz the word on this stuff spreads fast and people tune in to see what's up.

Plus, as noble as telethons are, they are also snooze fests and if it wasn't for the high end performers and the chance someone "slips" on live TV no one would watch at all.

It's one of those strange things where I wouldn't do it but it doesn't suprise/bother me that someone else did.

All the black congress persons and ACLU had a press conference today stating a similar view.

If this clip even makes a headline, I will be shocked. The establishment has ben big-upping Kanye so hard recently that many powerful media people will take this as a personal dis (as in '"we thought that n****r had some sense! That's the end of his road".)even if they agree with the sentiment. Expect a total media "who cares" so that none of them have to take the blame.

Frankly, the only person who would disagree with Kanye's statement is Condi.

• Wow. WOW.
    This might be some big shit right here, man. You can see he's kinda scared or nervous to come out and say some shit like that. But he said it anyway. Kanye is my muthafuckin' hero now, dog.
    He better watch his back, though... he's fuckin' with some gangstas now that would make Suge Knight look like Richard Simmons.

Wow.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Good point...I realize that there is a time and a place for everything, but if life were always to stay "in line" and be properly ordered, we'd have no fun at all.

People are so reactive these days. I would be deeply saddened if Kanye's comments negatively affected the fund-raising, but then again, who are these sensitive schmucks that would let a single personal opinion expressed during a stressful time stop them from donating? That would be missing the point, yeah? Silly.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Note the tone and undercurrent in this article by the (always racially sensitive) AP:

Kanye West takes Bush to task during NBC telethon[/b]

By FRAZIER MOORE

Friday, September 2, 2005 Updated at 10:30 PM EDT

Associated Press

New York ??? It began, fittingly enough, with jazz from New Orleans natives Harry Connick Jr. and Wynton Marsalis.

But "A Concert for Hurricane Relief," a heartfelt and dignified benefit aired on NBC and other networks Friday night, took an unexpected turn thanks to the outspoken rapper Kanye West. Appearing two-thirds through the program, he claimed "George Bush doesn't care about black people" and said America is set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible."

The show, simulcast from New York on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and Pax, was aired live to the East Coast, enabling the Grammy-winning rapper's outburst to go out uncensored.*[/b]

There was a several-second tape delay, but the person in charge "was instructed to listen for a curse word, and didn't realize (West) had gone off-script," said NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks.

Immediately after the airing was over, Marks said it was undetermined how much, if any, of the tirade would be included in the taped West Coast feed three hours later.

********yadda yadda Tim McGraw*****

"In terms of property damage," said actress Hilary Swank, "the estimate is at least $26-billion in insured losses and perhaps twice that in uninsured losses over a 90,000-square-mile area ??? approximately the size of Kansas."

Comedian Mike Myers was paired with West for a 90-second segment that began with Myers speaking of Katrina's devastation. Then, to Myers' evident surprise, West began a rant by saying, "I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family, it says they're looting. See a white family, it says they're looking for food."

While allowing that "the Red Cross is doing everything they can," West ??? who delivered an emotional outburst at the American Music Awards after he was snubbed for an award ??? declared that government authorities are intentionally dragging their feet on aid to the Gulf Coast. Without getting specific, he added, "They've given them permission to go down and shoot us."

After he stated, "George Bush doesn't care about black people. Please call ???" the camera cut away to comedian Chris Tucker.

Concluding the hour a few minutes later, Lauer noted that "emotions in this country right now are running very high. Sometimes that emotion is translated into inspiration, sometimes into criticism. We've heard some of that tonight. But it's still part of the American way of life."

Then the entire ensemble performed "When the Saints Go Marching In."

In a statement, NBC said, "Kanye West departed from the scripted comments that were prepared for him, and his opinions in no way represent the views of the networks.

"It would be most unfortunate," the statement continued, "if the efforts of the artists who participated tonight and the generosity of millions of Americans who are helping those in need are overshadowed by one person's opinion."

Friday's program was the first of several TV benefits planned through next weekend.

NBC and the five other major commercial broadcast networks, along with PBS, plan to unite next Friday for a special. The same night, BET will air a benefit. And on Saturday, Sept. 10, the MTV networks will air a special.

* Um...did he curse or say something that qualifies under FCC guidelines to be censored? Free speech? guess not.

"right on 'bro'!"

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Just sayin.

PN -

I understand the counterargument you're makin', but I haven't watched American network television coverage on this so I don't know what's bein' played off; I do know that on the BBC World feed, there are segments showin' a helicopter landin' in the middle of N.O., throwin' bottled water and packages out, but NO ONE exits the helicopter to even assist in dispensin' these goods nor aid... Like it's a f*ckin' leper[/b] colony... Literally... Or in the words of Jesse Jackson, like the cargo hold of a slave ship... Now is that gettin' frontline attention on CNN, Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC? Bush won't even land in N.O. proper b/c of the grievances he would be assailed w/ by those inhabitants in there... Let's face facts @ this point, the majority of people left in the city are black and poor... And if the current man of the moment/zeitgeist feels he's gotta give that some shine, I can't really fault him for it...

By the way, PN - your diggin' comps are always welcome - I still gotta cop that Brazilian one though...

• Wow. WOW.
    This might be some big shit right here, man. You can see he's kinda scared or nervous to come out and say some shit like that. But he said it anyway. Kanye is my muthafuckin' hero now, dog.
    He better watch his back, though... he's fuckin' with some gangstas now that would make Suge Knight look like Richard Simmons.

Wow.

whoa shit I take back anything I ever said about Kanye pulling publicity stunts. that is some heavy shit to say on national television and like phil said above...
    Kanye better be ready to ride this out cause calling out those in power like that is asking for a world of hurt... Full support for Kanye even if it was a publicity stunt. I hope he sticks to his guns. wow...

If you have the chance to say something.. SAY SOMETHING!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    here's another one (apparently Paul, you are not alone)

http://www.juiceenewsdaily.com/0605/news/west.html?1125709350109

These assholes go way overboard:

Kanye West Ruins Relief Show[/b]

(JND) - In a selfish and

unprofessional move, Kanye

West used a Red Cross

benefit to benefit his own

personal platform Friday

night during the NBC

Hurricane Katrina Relief

program.

Juicee News has found a

video of Kanye West

during his rant.

In a disgusting display, West strayed from his prepared script to offer an overflow of hatred from his mouth, taking the spotlight off of the matter at hand, turning the relief program into his own personal soapbox. Whether or not anyone agrees with Mr. West... it was clear that now was not the time to voice such harsh opinions

Just before being cut by NBC executives, West stated: "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

West appeared on-screen with comedian Mike Myers, who was obviously shaken by West's remarks. At one point Myers attempted to put an end to the tirade.

NBC beat him to the punch, cutting to a shot of actor Chris Tucker.

Other comments by West: "They're saying black families are looting and white families are just looking for food...they're giving the (Army) permission to shoot us..."

Previously best known for producing hit singles for Alicia Keys, Jay-Z, and Ludacris, Kanye himself worked on a solo album for a long period of time, having the release pushed back time and time again. Due to his appearance and overall style, West struggled to find a way to get his own voice on record. Multiple record companies put him aside due to the fact that West is from the suburbs of Chicago, not a former 'street hustler' or even one that wears the orthodox hip-hop apparel. A car crash on October 23, 2002 left his jaw fractured in three places, with his mouth still wired shut and only weeks after having an encounter with death, Kanye West began recording "Through The Wire," reliving his near-fatal accident. "Through The Wire", which sampled Chaka Khan's classic track "Through The Fire", would eventually become his lead single from The College Dropout, which was released on Roc-a-Fella Records in February 2004.

Kanye West also has his own clothing line - "Pastel Clothing" , and his own record label - "GOOD Music" (an acronym for Getting Out Our Dreams), under which John Legend's platinum selling debut album Get Lifted has been released, along with Common's latest album - "Be". Other artists on his label include GLC, Consequence, and Farnsworth Bentley.

On August 30th, 2005, Kanye West released his second album Late Registration. "Diamonds (From Sierra Leone)" (which contained samples from Shirley Bassey's "Diamonds Are Forever") and "Gold Digger", were the first two singles from Late Registration. West announced that his 3rd and 4th albums will be titled "Graduation" and "A Good Ass Job", respectively.

• Yea, but don't you think people kinda want to see something like this when they tune in.

Maybe you, me & that girl over there would kinda want to see something like this.
    But we're talking about mostly Middle America watching this stuff & contributing the vast amount of $$$'s. Remember Middle America? "Fly Over Country?"
    I'm fairly confident that Johnny Ray & Bobby Joe Redneck - as some of ya'll strutters might be so fond to call them - might not necessarily share a "similar view" with Kanye & the Black Congressional Caucus, and in turn might simply change channels to QVC or Hee Haw rather than listen to something they don't want to hear.
    Maybe that's just me.
    All I'm saying is, if it doesn't bother you that potential millions might be forfeited at the expense of Mr. West's "statement", then.... well, then there it is.
    Maybe it was worth it. Shake things up and shit.
    Although at this point in time, I tend to feel that the only people who can lay claim to say whether or not it was "worth it" are in no position to be watching tv tonight.

Can you explain what this means? Not even messin' - I just don't follow what you are saying...

OK...i'm in the mood...CNN is running in the background so i got ammos too.

y'all mostly think that foreigners can get the dick when such things happens because we don't live this shit. Let me explain y'all something. Wifey is from Chicago. I do live in France with her but we do back and forth trips. Half of her fam is in TX and NO. She's pro-pro-pro Black and i'm a poor white skinny mofocker. Now with that said, i can go on...

All around the World, images are travelling. What people see is a shitload of Black people stuck in the WEALTHIEST country of the World. We also see Whiteys getting annoyed with it. Including Americans taling about how it looks like Africa right now... Geographically speaking, it's NOTHING like Africa. Just because of the skin tone, you call it Africa. CNN is calling it Africa. White people in USA calls it Africa. So that means that just because of the black line-up, y'all are a bunch of Africans at the end of the day...Some BOOTY SCRATCHERS, yes you heard it...

Now, the whole world is just thinking, what if this people was just white people...considering how much money it takes to help and rebuild, it would just take a COUPLE of white mofockers to save the situation. Not only military speaking, but money-wise. Now you got Celine Dion giving 1 million $ to save the Nolia Clap. Great. Money is there if it's necessary.

The will...a terrible thing man. Read Kant or Freud.

You got school buses helping y'all. FUCKIN GREAT. You think that's what the situation deserves when y'all started a fuckin' war in a country that y'all can't even situate on the map. Please.

I don't even want to speak about it. PERIOD.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    HELL YEAH!!!

He was absolutely right! and it needed to be said! Its not gonna stop people from donating! what kind of bullshit is that? Black lawmakers are pissed as hell at Bush's response to the disaster, which hit a largely black area of the country and screwed over many poor people as well.

Are you really gonna sit there and try to tell me george bush cares about black people? How about poor people?

I dont think so. Go kanye!

y'all mostly think that foreigners can get the dick when such things happens because we don't live this shit. Let me explain y'all something. Wifey is from Chicago. I do live in France with her but we do back and forth trips. Half of her fam is in TX and NO. She's pro-pro-pro Black and i'm a poor white skinny mofocker. Now with that said, i can go on...

All around the World, images are travelling. What people see is a shitload of Black people stuck in the WEALTHIEST country of the World. We also see Whiteys getting annoyed with it. Including Americans taling about how it looks like Africa right now... Geographically speaking, it's NOTHING like Africa. Just because of the skin tone, you call it Africa. CNN is calling it Africa. White people in USA calls it Africa. So that means that just because of the black line-up, y'all are a bunch of Africans at the end of the day...Some BOOTY SCRATCHERS, yes you heard it...

Now, the whole world is just thinking, what if this people was just white people...considering how much money it takes to help and rebuild, it would just take a COUPLE of white mofockers to save the situation. Not only military speaking, but money-wise. Now you got Celine Dion giving 1 million $ to save the Nolia Clap. Great. Money is there if it's necessary.

You got school buses helping y'all. FUCKIN GREAT. You think that's what the situation deserves when y'all started a fuckin' war in a country that y'all can't even situate on the map. Please.

You have the most uncanny ability to sound "racist" while obviously trying to say things that are meant to be "anti-racist."

I don't know what you are talking about half the time, but please - continue!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I don't even want to speak about it. PERIOD.

please to shut the fuck up.

• there are segments showin' a helicopter landin' in the middle of N.O., throwin' bottled water and packages out, but NO ONE exits the helicopter to even assist in dispensin' these goods nor aid... Like it's a f*ckin' leper colony...

Well, it certainly didn't help that you had people shooting automatic weapons at said helicopters over the last few days as they tried to go about the business of actually rescuing people!!

One big reason help was so slow in coming was that copter pilots were (and still are) in fear for their own lives.

By the way, PN - your diggin' comps are always welcome

Gracias.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Yea, but don't you think people kinda want to see something like this when they tune in.

Maybe you, me & that girl over there would kinda want to see something like this.
    But we're talking about mostly Middle America watching this stuff & contributing the vast amount of $$$'s. Remember Middle America? "Fly Over Country?"
    I'm fairly confident that Johnny Ray & Bobby Joe Redneck - as some of ya'll strutters might be so fond to call them - might not necessarily share a "similar view" with Kanye & the Black Congressional Caucus, and in turn might simply change channels to QVC or Hee Haw rather than listen to something they don't want to hear.
    Maybe that's just me.
    All I'm saying is, if it doesn't bother you that potential millions might be forfeited at the expense of Mr. West's "statement", then.... well, then there it is.
    Maybe it was worth it. Shake things up and shit.
    Although at this point in time, I tend to feel that the only people who can lay claim to say whether or not it was "worth it" are in no position to be watching tv tonight.

Yea, I totally see what your saying and mabye if it had gone on for 5 min, but it looks like it got cut pretty quick and only the East coast will even see it cuz the rest of the country will get the edited version.

I don't think people turned off the Grammy's when ODB bum rused the stage, and while this is different I think it's a similar thing reaction wise. If people had to listen to a 15 min Al Gore speach about the failures then channels would flip, but not for a little blub like this.

Oh well, no bigge not trying to argue. It's just the kind of deliema that begs for discussion.

You have the most uncanny ability to sound "racist" while obviously trying to say things that are meant to be "anti-racist."

thx man...that's where my head is at. I'm happy you caught it...That's the way i express it when i'm in front of people i wanna shock. But glad you caught it. My poor english don't help.

just to continue since you asked me...I just had my cousin on the phone. He got me dumb-founded. Nagin was right. That's all i can say. He said it better than me. His english is waaaaaaaaay better.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Well, it certainly didn't help that you had people shooting automatic weapons at said helicopters over the last few days as they tried to go about the business of actually rescuing people!!

One big reason help was so slow in coming was that copter pilots were (and still are) in fear for their own lives.

Slow in coming? Marshallin' resources shouldn't take a couple of days after the incident if you've got foreknowledge that a substantial natural disaster is imminent; interviews I've heard w/ military personnel all define the decision to issue orders as to when they're to deploy to these disaster areas as contingent on the President's word... And if that's a failure of the executive office and looks to be partly derived out of a lack of empathy for the downtrodden/improverished, then... I suspect that it's 2 different aspects we're lookin' @ PN - and that neither of us is baskin' in the travails of those sufferin' right now; personally, in this heightened state of affairs, 'Ye looks like he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't... B/c the message may not resonate as effectively once the inter/national spotlight on what's goin' on in the Gulf coast subsides...

Why is Condi Rice shoppin' for shoes in Manhattan w/ this goin' on?

http://www.democrats.org/a/2005/09/let_them_eat_ca.php

see...that's what makes me sick.