TIFF 2016

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
Anyone in Toronto to check out some flix?

I saw the Coltrane doc (Chasing Trane) and it was beautiful, if a bit conventional.  They just play so much music and have such great footage, that it's a joyful (and sad) experience.  Strutnippy too, as they spend time on how "out" he went with his final album and the rejection of that from a lot of his audience... (I know some here don't think Alice was great).

That said, this Lee Morgan doc looks really interesting... "documentary-as-jazz", whatever that means: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/12/i-called-him-morgan-review-jazz-kasper-collin-lee-morgan

Anyone see it, or other stuff?

Taking my daughter to see the Herzog doc about volcanoes on the weekend!  

Comments

• Saw Divines (loved it) and Short Cuts #2 and #5, the best of which were Blind Vaysha (Canada), Mariners (Canada), In The Hills (England) and Submarine (Lebanon).

Am seeing The Bad Batch and I Am Not Your Negro this weekend.

Was disappointed that The Salesman, The Girl with All the Gifts and Moonlight sold out so quickly, but they will probably come to Lightbox.
    Chose to skip Birth of a Nation, Graduation, Unknown Girl and Message From the King for wide release.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    Looking forward to Louis Theroux vs Scientology docu/film thing. Don't know if it's on at Toronto.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
    Divines looks amazing! The blurb on the TIFF site makes me think of The Good Thief for some reason. (Probably nothing like it!)

I'll watch anything about Scientology... so ooo weird.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    bassie2 said:
    Saw Divines (loved it) and Short Cuts #2 and #5, the best of which were Blind Vaysha (Canada), Mariners (Canada), In The Hills (England) and Submarine (Lebanon).

Am seeing The Bad Batch and I Am Not Your Negro this weekend.

Was disappointed that The Salesman, The Girl with All the Gifts and Moonlight sold out so quickly, but they will probably come to Lightbox.
    Chose to skip Birth of a Nation, Graduation, Unknown Girl and Message From the King for wide release.
    Have you seen Window Horses?