2015 : What's Good, What's Bad, What's Ugly

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
edited December 2015 in Off Topic (NRR)
Warning : Stream of conciousness-R

Good:

Better Job including lunchtime bike rides again
Kids growing to my size and wanting to kick or throw football all the time (EPL & NFL-R)
Playing more bass (treated myself to a Sire Marcus Miller V7 5-string which is incredible value for money)
Discovering The Nth Power, Hiatus Kaiyote and unheard Bill Evans ish.
Strut still here and USA mugs helping out a UK mug like the Old Days
Visited (in US format:) Sitges, SPAIN and Santorini, GREECE and both were great
Hearing an adult use the word "Fry-kened" for "Frightened" (without batting an eyelid) and it still amusing me and wifian months later.  To the point where we throw K's in all time, and have subbed in G's for D's, like "Dregful".
How those long Winter nights just fly by.

Bad:
The commute
Kids costing more to keep than me
Not being able to sight read music quickly.  Which, despite me never practicing this, still manages to disappoint me.
Not making a Britstrut this year

Ugly:
Paris.
Hearing Sam Smith and Adele EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    GOOD
    - my daughters are amazing kids and, thankfully, not nearly old enough to date or get into any real trouble yet
    - work is endlessly rewarding even if it's also endlessly tiring
    - looks like i'll be playing some rec footie again this winter, after nearly a year and a half away - hope my knees can handle it!
    - finding more time to go look for records in the field rather than just online
    - halfway through Season One of this mid-90s law & order-type series called Murder One... once you get over how gaudy the 90z aesthetic is, it's actually pretty amazing.

BAD
    - aging - i'm healthy and all, but i'm also noticing the signs of geezerdom
    - rarely enough time to watch films these days - i love getting lost in something for a couple of hours
    - my eldest daughter had LICE recently - all clear now, but i'll thank the great spaghetti monster in the sky to never have that inflicted on us again
    - Howard Stern's contract is up in a week or so.  he still hasn't revealed his decision about what he's gonna do next.  my commute would suffer greatly if he stopped the show.

UGLY
    - this heartbreaking doc, Dreamcatcher (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3215846/), about sex workers in Chicago and one foundation's effort to keep young girls away from that scene.  you have to watch this.  it's terrible.  file next to the many other compelling reasons to eradicate poverty.
    - your 2015 Mr. Ugly (from Zimbabwe)

- your 2015 ugliest dog:
    Quasi Modo

but this guy wuz robbed
    Sweepee Rambo

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Good:
    Still teaching at the hospital, enjoying my work, and meeting interesting stimulating people as a result (also can't complain that 90% of my students are smart young women).
    What started out as a steamy affair with one of them has blossomed into a full-blown romance, and I'm feeling all romantic and shit.
    A stellar year for music IMHO, with the continued Jungle resurgence really fucking pleasing me.
    Finding time to bosh some beats out on my laptop.
    Spending a month in USA, USA, USA with my dad and visiting other relatives.
    Barcelona women. Everyday I see a beauty so stunning that I've gone full circle from the shock when I first moved here, to gradual indifference, back to holy shit they're everywhere.
    Mesut Ozil has either grown a pair or strapped some on.

Bad:
    The ongoing war against people with oil, the Syrian shit-storm, the refugees, the terrorists who target civilians instead of politicians etc etc.
    My Spanish & Catalan are still more "nay" than nascent, let alone passable, but somehow bumbling along.
    Have taken a solitary class in the private sector and the pay difference from the public sector is sizable, which means my days at the hospital will probably come to an end next September unless they can offer me something more competitive, but they're a hospital. So they can't. But they're a hospital, which is partly why I teach there.
    Spending a month in America, watching the news, realising I wish to fuck my dad didn't live there... 
    Alexis Sanchez another casualty of being overplayed. Not sure whether to blame lack of squad rotation or that Wenger's team doesn't have the depth for him to confidently bench any of our vital players.

Ugly:
    Trump, ISIS, Republicans, Tories, Christian bigots, all the usual arseholes who dominate the news.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    feeling all romantic and shit.

Pics or your (sic) soft.
    DOR

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    All fools know that L*o has a penchant for eurobella, but let's hope this one is more Hayek than Ribery

::break face::

skel said:
    All fools know that L*o has a penchant for eurobella, but let's hope this one is more Hayek than Ribery

She's technically non-Eurobella.  But I am riding for an Inés Sastre and such.  I raise a vending-machine Lipton's Lemon Tea to the one DUDER and his golden-era of length-slipping.

Duderonomy

Jimster said:
    skel said:

She's technically non-Eurobella.  But I am riding for an Inés Sastre and such.  I raise a vending-machine Lipton's Lemon Tea to the one DUDER and his golden-era of length-slipping.

She's rather nice. 10 years younger than me, but she has no problem with this even though I'm obviously suffering greatly. A PhD biology researcher as well, so brains to go with her looks. I, and my friends, wonder what on earth she sees in me.

Jimster said:

Pics or your (sic) soft.
    Uhhh, pics of me feeling all romantic? Or her?

Jimster said:

Pics or your (sic) soft.
    Her, natch.

Elbow detail.

Jimster said:
    Jimster said:

Pics or your (sic) soft.
    Her, natch.

Elbow detail.

Plus... the Catalan accent is not like the Spanish. She sounds like a vampire. Which I find very erotic.

I, and my friends, wonder what on earth she sees in me.
    Dude(er), obviously:

YOU CAN'T TURN THIS OFF.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Duderonomy

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Anyways, 2015 has been a fantastic year.
    teh good:
    Ex finally paid me the money on our house, so I'm fairly solvent. It doesn't compensate for 3 homeless years, but still.
    Im not going hungry any time soon.
    I helped the first ex wife to get a new job this month, she was super grateful and hatchets are buried. This is ALL good.
    I'm a year into space age bachelor pad living lifestyle, trust me it's the way to go. 
    Teh bad:
    work is so busy, no time to sit back and relax evarrrr
    been fractious with certain dudes, values misaligned, thinking of the retirement option.
    teh ugly:
    my band from 79/80/81 reformed, yes it's a blast but those dudes rely on me for the creativity so their anarcho punk dream fast turns to a pop- punk nightmare with jazz chords and strange time changes. They must deal.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Jimster said:
    skel said:

She's rather nice. 10 years younger than me, but she has no problem with this even though I'm obviously suffering greatly. A PhD biology researcher as well, so brains to go with her looks. I, and my friends, wonder what on earth she sees in me.
    Perhaps it's not what she sees in you, but rather what she sees in (and out) of herself (ifyouknowhatimean)...

Sorry, I've been acting like a 14 year old all evening.
    Duderonomy

• #1 Dads is my band (and band name) of the year

2016 Bompage....

Good:
    Met the one @RAJ I.R.L doe. How about that.
    Got my Strava on.  PRs and such.  Bike still kept at work.
    Got my cabin built in the garden last week.  Getting it painted and getting the amp in there... Bassplaying to move up a notch, deffo.  Even got one of them things you clip on the headstock that shows you're in tune.
    Kids still getting bigger and better.  #1 son has been fast-tracked into the Strut-centric world of music.  It's great to shout over to your can-wearing son while lounging watching the game and ask him what he's listening to, and he turns the phone round to show me "Low End Theory".
    @SKEL where is the music from your reformation?

Bad:
    Folks getting hella old.  I see the beginning of the end.
    Muhfug log of a job is scrolling off the screen and I need one going the other way to jump on.  Working on it...

Ugly:
    Watching idiot permies getting moved into jobs I could do standing on my knob.

So far so good: enjoying work, girlfriend life, BCN life, my beat making is improving slowly but surely, and I aim to get a couple of mixes finished in time for August/summer.

Not so bad: a toe injury from 2015 never healed up and I guess I'm going to need some kind of surgery so I can play football again. Luckily, FREE HEALTHCARE, so, like, no sweat.
    Really missing my record collection and purchasing vinyl. Not enough of the underground dance music I like makes it to digital :(

Teh ugly: where to start? Brexit? The slow-motion car crash pile-up is becoming funny, and seems to be outlasting the usual media 2-week attention span. So far the political fallout is proving to be an omnishambles. The long term - who knows. I'm just glad I'm watching from what seems to be relative safety (God knows how toxic the fallout will be).
    Trump. He couldn't could he? After Brexit, people's capacity for self-harm shouldn't be underestimated. It could be a close one.
    Deaths of the rich and famous. McCartney, Stevie Wonder et al must be shitting their kecks every time they so much as sneeze.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts

good.
    * birth of my second son 5 weeks ago!
    * almost finished fixing my front fence
    * still can afford buying records, still enjoying music!!
    * still enjoying making beats and using my samplers. When I can find time.
    * parents both seem healthy. My mother goes to the gym 3 times a week and my dad twice
    *anticipating cheeseburgers for lunch
    *coffee. I've graduated from flat whites to long blacks

Bad.
    * two kids under 3yo is fuxing exhausting. (Hence coffee) Today I caught myself in the mirror and saw what looks like zombie undead me
    * winter.. My house is freezing

ugly
    * Australian government at the federal, state and local levels. "Donations" in return for favourable treatment for big business etc, more blatant than ever before.