tell us about your avatar

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
edited May 2015 in Strut Central
frank/eat me!'s recent pic (balls on cone, if you missed it) got me thinking. how does your avatar reflect you? what else are you trying to tell us?

i do a lot of highway driving during the school year. during one particular semester i kept coming across this van with this awesome lionel hutz piece by mish (local writer)... eventually i decided i needed a pic.

i came of age as a simpsons addict (although i haven't watched it years and still haven't seen the movie!) and i love graf too.

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Mine is from a famous scene from the movie Parallax View.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Detail of a chalk drawing by my wife.
    Salmon and toaster.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Frank's avatar has left mine feeling limp and inadequate and doesn't even beggar a description.
    Da struts been t bagged by Frank!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Mine is a bespoke commission from erstwhile non-RR strutteur Saracenus, brother of long-time but nowadays seldom seen RR strutteur Dr Wu. He got into heraldry design; I gave him a spec.
    I wanted an upside down shield, but only realise why now on pondering Ketan's first post.
    I like to be perverse, but within the bounds of a semblance of normality.
    The England flag is a redesign relic from the 2010 World Cup. It was formerly dark blue and black. And staying with this avatar for 5+ years, I think, signifies the desire and ability to stick with something I'm happy with, through thick and thin. It also betrays a streak of apathy, if not a tendency to the status quo (no joke boogie blues coke heads). The simplicity of design speaks to a need for uncluttered and uncomplicated surroundings, both physically and psychologically.
    The baseball bats and glue tell of an adolescence spent with the epitome of my one true love, power pop: the Ramones, with overt homage to the name but also the motto, which felt like my era's version of YOLO. And that's how I've tried to live life, give or take the odd lost decade in which I lost sight of that truth.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Mine is flea market art.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    selfie

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    paul newman.

because, paul newman.

PrimeCutsLtd said:
    Mine is flea market art.

Awsome

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Also a selfie.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Mine is a Bruton Library record and the namesake and graphic design I have used for a DJ night that I am running.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    dito on the selfie

phatmoneysack said:
    Mine is a Bruton Library record and the namesake and graphic design I have used for a DJ night that I am running.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Conky from Trailer Park Boys

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

whats this like?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm a huge fan of Hipgnosis cover art...

This happens to be my favorite:

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My avatar is meant to big up the self-titled LP by Sweet Apple, a soul/rock outfit on Columbia (1970).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

phatmoneysack said:
    LaserWolf said:

whats this like?

Breaks Yo.
    Stick Jive, with and without the vocals. If I recall the refrain is "You hit, you hit, you hit like this."
    Ah here we go:

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Some white guy in Japan that carves wood block stuff and prints with them. Somebody posted up a video of his in the thread about ASMR videos and seemed entertaining.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    Mine is a painting by a local Seattle artist (http://justinkaneelder.com/) that I've bought from in the past.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Cover art for the Mighty Mellow 3 comp

It looks cool; that's pretty much it. I envision a darkly humorous situation where the world's most pathetic armed robber draws on Groovy Bank Teller / DMV Chick, only to realize that she's behind bulletproof glass and his revolver is empty. "Next window, please!"

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Parallax, I have not see that flick but now I must see it! Looks rad.

Laserwolf, yours is one of those avatars that has always looked really beautiful, but I never had any clue what it was. I'm kinda curious to see the whole drawing now. Props to your wife!

Skel, you clearly win the avatar game and thank you for that description. You avatar is epic and majestic and I applaud your very being. However:

"The England flag is a redesign relic from the 2010 World Cup. It was formerly dark blue and black. And staying with this avatar for 5+ years, I think, signifies the desire and ability to stick with something I'm happy with, through thick and thin."

Please know that you will have to stick with England for many, many more years before they do ANYTHING of worth on the international stage. I'm not sure why, but I have a feeling that it's because your players are too damn comfortable with their existence - they lack the fire that competitors from other countries have. Or you're just the Charlie Brown of futbol. You should prolly just change teams/nationalities at this point.

Jesse, Trailer Park Boys por vida! I still need to see Swearnet... was it any good?

BigStacks - feeling that Sweet Apple (thanks!). For some reason, I never noticed that your avatar is a record cover! Why is it sideways? I think that threw me off!

Also, I'm paging Motown67, Wille_Fugal (just caught the Basquiat exhibit in Toronto), Duderonomy, ALIENDN, in particular.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Mine's my logo. I had a graphic designer custom-create the letters to mimic the Urban Rock Records logo.

^ Yeah, I noticed the URR reference - nice one.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    ketan said:

BigStacks - feeling that Sweet Apple (thanks!). For some reason, I never noticed that your avatar is a record cover! Why is it sideways? I think that threw me off!

Hey Ketan,

Actually, the LP is sitting on the floor in the lab opening side up (for easy access). It's in an unfiled pile of LPs I pulled looking for joints to include on a mix. Maybe, one day I'll stop being lazy and file them (and get the missus off my back). I'm glad you felt the track. It's a cool album.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• tech12ztech12z 56 Posts

Jungle Fire was the first uncommon record I ever turned up. I got it in a $50 box full of better-known titles -- it was one of the only joints I didn't recognize. I put it on, and, by the time "Got Myself a Good Man" hit, I was slack-jawed. I've been chasing that magic ever since.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    My daughter w my x-clan funkin lesson 45.
    The record has a remix of funkin lesson, it's dope but I still prefer the original version. So many hip hop 45s are only available as (european?) remixes.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    The one avatar I'm super curious about is Mini's old one, which looked like some kind of mask that opens like a medicine cabinet.

I believe he has since changed it.

Paging Mini!

Skel's old one (before the newest incarnation of this site) was killer with those moving eyes.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    mine is also a selfie

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Not record related at all but I guess the sheer scale of the pillars of creation have always fascinated me. It's where stars are born.

edit: this is actually the higher res version they took in 2014 with hubble.