This is how you should run a record store (ASMR R)

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
If you're not familiar with ASMR, it stands for Autonomous sensory meridian response and refers to brain tickles cause by gentle noises and soft speaking. There are a ton of youtube videos about it and some of the protagonists act as if they had a record store, others just display their vinyl collection. I find it pretty hilarious and thought I'd share...

I guess if you have problems falling asleep, you should watch this

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I just want ASMR to go away. Every time I hear about it I get creeped out but I think I might actually get the tingle but then these videos pop up and dude it's so damn creepy. Who the hell makes the videos? Are they tinglers too, or are they just so altruistic they're like oh I'll spend time making ASMR vids to help the world and is that not also creepy

• People are into weird shit.

I get the tingles. You don't?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What is this?

These vids are all creepy, and very long. 20+mins? And you watch these?

Talking low and slow makes people want to buy stuff?

• Haha yes it's very odd.

It's basically people who like to experience "brain shivers" or "brain tingles". Apparently for a lot of people this is triggered by close whispering or similar auditory stimuli, usually involving stereo recordings or post-production techniques to mimic way the human ears receive sound. I read an article about it months ago. A bunch of videos were referenced by the article, and most of them had a strong obscure-sexual-fetish vibe. Quite a weird scene, imho.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Are they tinglers too, or are they just so altruistic they're like oh I'll spend time making ASMR vids to help the world and is that not also creepy

Some of those people have millions of views, which translates into dollars. They're getting paid to make those videos.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I get the impression that some see it as a kind of acting gig, the popular ones will be making money but I doubt they started out with that in mind. The one that got loads of attention and made mainstream media pay attention was a really well made sci-fi asmr video. It's definitely weird but I think it's only creepy if you want it to be. Most people involved seem to enjoy asmr videos themselves and want to get involved and use it as an outlet for creativity.
    Before people started making specific asmr themed videos they would just collect random YouTube videos that triggered these tingles. So if you've ever posted a YouTube video of you looking through your collection chance are some asmr'er has been getting off to it.