Nasal Blockage, Sleep Apnea, Tests (Med-Strut)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
Whatup people. As always, I value your opinions so was wondering what problems and solutions you have had with breathing and sleeping.

Specifically, I've had chronic nasal congestion/blockage due to inflammation of my nasal passages since childhood. Only recently that I've had issues all around and notice my limitations with my inferior breathing and resulting poor sleep. I'm looking to get laser treatment in Japan at the least. Possibly surgical in the U.S. for a semi-permanent solution. I'm not really fucking with the sprays and Claritin as I have anxiety as well.

I also overheard some dudes at the bar, talking about demanding a sleep test. Anyone got one? My ex has told me, I snore and my breathing gets rather erratic at times.

Chiropractic? Neti Pot? Surgery?

Comments

• I don't think I have anything major, but I definitely feel like I have restricted nasal airflow. They're expensive as a regular solution, but those breathe right nasal strips actually work and possibly made me sleep better. They're not practical for every day use though.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I had the sleep apnea due to getting chubby. If you have a thick neck and fatty cheeks all that fat presses on your air passage once your body is relaxed. My wife told me I had total blockages that seemed to last for up to a minute where there was no breathing until I forcefully and loudly took in air again, often waking up and feeling like I was suffocating or drowning. Made me feel like shit the next morning and often left me sleepless for the better part of the night. I had one of those "sleeping tests" done where you walk around and sleep with a recorder that documents your breathing patterns, heart frequency and blood pressure. Doctor said it's my choice:

-sleeping with a mask that covers nose and mouth and pumps up air into your air passages, building up enough pressure so there's no snoring,

-surgery that basically would cut out tissue from the back of the roof of your mouth, shorten that little worm like alien that hangs down your throat and removal of the tonsils.

-drastic weight loss.

I decided to go for the drastic weight loss and dropped some 40 pounds. Best thing that ever happened to me. I'm now in better physical shape than when I was 25 and have no trouble sleeping. Actually, I'm finding out how pleasant and relaxing sleep can really be.

I also stopped drinking beer in the evening. If I have problems with anxiety I take a small shot of Flor de Caña infused with decarboxylated marijuana. Makes me sleep like a fucking baby and with a smile on my face -for around 10 hours straight... this would have been unthinkable just 2 years back. It feels like having a new lease on life.

If your problem is mostly due to bad nasal passages (I had that diagnosed as well) then maybe surgery of the nose is the way to go. I thought about just doing the nasal surgery but once I had lost the weight the problems were all gone.

What also helps is changing your eating patterns, it's easy to replace dinner with a light afternoon snack. You'll get used to this quick and after a few weeks you won't even crave any food after 3 or 4 pm. We all eat much, much more than we actually need and your body will rest so much better if it doesn't have to process a plate full of food. Strenuous, physical exercise will not only help you drop weight but also make you tired and happy which all works towards a better sleeping experience.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This gets really bad for me when I smoke weed at night. Double edge sword because weed helps me get a good night sleep but also restricts my nasal passages. I wake up with a crazy sinus headache and my wife freaks out because I stop breathing for 5 seconds at a time. It probably doesn't help that I have packed on a few pounds in my late 30s too.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Yuichi,

I strongly suggest getting the sleep test as sleep apnea can be fatal (it killed former NFL pro Reggie White). I had one and passed, but I've lost about 60 pounds. So, I co-sign Frank's suggestions about working out and losing weight. Also, a humidifier is useful for moistening the air in your home to aid nasal drainage. This is true especially during winter when central heating dries the air in your home. Best of luck, man.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• do you smoke cigarettes?

• I have sleep issues sometimes. A combination of everything mentioned above - bad sinuses, smoking herb, eating too late in the day - would cause me to wake up repeatedly through the night, often sweating heavily. Pretty much the exact opposite of a "restful" night of sleep.

I started using a Neti pot every couple of days, bought a humidifier for my bedroom in the winter, and have tried moving my eating patterns earlier in the day. I also got a bike and was much more physically active this past summer, which I think helped a lot.

Start with the easy stuff first and work up to surgery and japaneze lazerz? I def recommend the neti pot and humidifier - they help keep everything moving and won't show immediate results, but over time you will notice your breathing passages are less clogged.

Also... and this sounds stupid, but try re-learning how to blow your nose. Sounds dumb but there are techniques and stuff you can use/try to help move out congestion. Your goal is to keep it fluid and then expel it. Hopefully this will allow your swelling/irritation to go down and improve things.

Absolutely demand a sleep test. Some sleep clinics will even have you spend a night sleeping in one of their rooms, with full video and health stats recording. You may wait a long time before getting an appointment, but until then you can try the more homeopathic options.

Best of luck!! Sinus grief is the worst.

Rec'd Neti Soundtrack: EPMD - KIM

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    oh, forgot something: if you have sinus issues, get one of those plastic bottles to flush your nose with saline solution. learning how to surf and wiping out a lot does an even better job...

If smoking weed interferes with your sleep switch to an alcoholic infusion. It's easy to get a strong enough concoction to have one serving be half a shot or less so you don't have to worry about the alcohol factoring in much (spirits in the evening can fuck up your sleep, be especially careful when you have heartburn issues).

Attention: just soaking weed in alcohol will do nothing but waste your weed. You needs to know about this:

http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/decarboxylating-cannabis-turning-thca-into-thc/

You can also replace the alcohol with coconut oil to fully bypass the alcohol. Coconut oil is the shit by the way, fry anything in it and you won't gain a gram.

I soak the ground and decarboxylated weed in rum for a couple of weeks and then run it through a coffee filter and add wild honey and lime juice. You can dry some of the left over weed and smoke it to see if it still turns... if it does, put it in some more rum. Depending on the alcohol percentage, spirits can only absorb a certain quantity of THC, if you use too much weed and not enough pure alcohol there might still be some potency left in the grounds so repeat the process until you're certain nothing goes to waste. Add a splash of water and ice to the finished and you got yourself a nice sleepy time cocktail. Effects slowly start after about 45 minutes and you get a much longer (ca 4-6 hour) high from it than from smoking and it abates very slowly, smoothly washing you back onto the shores of reality sometime the next morning...

Let's stay away from politics and turn this into a health forum for drug addled middle aged men.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Frank said:
    I soak the ground and decarboxylated weed in rum for a couple of weeks

What are the quantities you use of each? Thinking of doing this myself.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Frank said:
    I soak the ground and decarboxylated weed in rum for a couple of weeks

What are the quantities you use of each? Thinking of doing this myself.

I didn't weigh anything but just chopped down an entire plant cut it up real fine, including the stems and leaves, a friend of mine even uses the roots... it doesn't really matter much, THC concentration will vary anyway. The most important things are to decarboxylate the weed properly and to test the leftover, strained grounds for THC before discarding. Do that and you basically can't do anything wrong. Key is to make a lot of it at once and if you run several infusions to extract all of the THC you should then mix everything together in a big enough container so everything has the same exact concentration. Then comes the fun part: Setting the proper dosage. You can be reckless and fun and just gob down a shot and see what happens or start with real small quantities. After a few tries you'll have found the perfect dosage for your person and the desired effect. I had a visiting friend who is a seasoned stoner try a cocktail with 2cl (normal sleepytime dosage is 1cl). After ca. 90 minutes he was unable to get out of his chair by himself and I had to help and lead him to his room as he was giggling something about being afraid to fall over... so be careful. He immediately asked for another shot the next day albeit a smaller one...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    That sounds like something I could get behind.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    what just happened

• Yuichi's gonna solve his sinus problem with Frank's 420SHOTZ, to save himself a trip to Japan.