Ferguson Grand Jury Says A Badge Is A License To Kill Unarmed Black Guys

Comments

• Chicago cops blare "Sweet Home Alabama" at protesters:

• white people talking about racial inequalities.

keep up the good work, you guys.

• vintageinfants said:
    white people talking about racial inequalities.

Next thing you know we'll have Canadians talking about Americans.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks Ketan.
    I read your whole post, but not the links.

You and Big Stacks have added greatly to this thread and make it worth reading.

I have 2 regular posters on ignore, and have started skipping over others.

• LaserWolf said:
    Thanks Ketan.
    I read your whole post, but not the links.

You and Big Stacks have added greatly to this thread and make it worth reading.

I have 2 regular posters on ignore, and have started skipping over others.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closed.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

Haha so amazing – all this thread is missing is for someone to drop the n-word and it will basically be the a-z of racism. Overt and covert, conservative and liberal, outrageous and cowardly, unseeing and blind, cavalier and condescending, red herrings and false premises of every kind – scientific, academic, sociological, political, economic…did I even see a hint of eugenics in there? And let‘s not forget the old standbys: respectability, bootstraps and elbow grease.
    It was especially tasteful when the conversation turned to how difficult it is to be a white man.
    Michael who? Eric Garner, huh? John Crawford - which one? Tamir Rice, how do you even pronounce that??
    They should teach this thread in schools everywhere!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    Chicago cops blare "Sweet Home Alabama" at protesters:

It's not fair to call you an Elitist, after all, it's not your fault you're smarter than everyone else.

b/w

I'd love to hear your explanation about how the song "Sweet Home Alabama" is racist

• Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:

It's not fair to call you an Elitist, after all, it's not your fault you're smarter than everyone else.

b/w

I'd love to hear your explanation about how the song "Sweet Home Alabama" is racist

I didn't say it was, and I don't think it is. But it has been adopted by some racists. Sad, really, since they were a great band whose legacy is being tarnished by assholes. But then the law of personal responsibility comes into play - and maybe draping that POS flag all over themselves wasn't such a hot idea.

There's no question the Chicago cops doing this have a racist intent, is there?

b/w

I'm not smarter than everyone else. I wouldn't even want to be.

LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:

b/w

I didn't say it was, and I don't think it is. But it has been adopted by some racists. Sad, really, since they were a great band whose legacy is being tarnished by assholes. But then the law of personal responsibility comes into play - and maybe draping that POS flag all over themselves wasn't such a hot idea.

b/w

So they are playing a song that isn't racist with racist intent.

In the words of Thomas Sowell....
    "The word 'racism' is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything - and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist"

• Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:

b/w

b/w

So they are playing a song that isn't racist with racist intent.

In the words of Thomas Sowell....
    "The word 'racism' is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything - and demanding evidence makes you a 'racist"

Thomas Sowell is on the short list of favorite black authors of so many overt white racists that I've encountered that I can't begin to estimate the number, but I'm sure that's a coincidence.

Just as I'm sure it's a coincidence that those cops chose that song to blare at those protesters. I'll bet their second choice was "We Shall Overcome." Sure it was. They were welcoming the protesters. That's how it works on Rockworld.

• Next up: Chicago cops play "The Monkees Theme" and "Wish I Had A Watermelon" while driving by protesters and Rock says those songs aren't racist and that therefore there is no racist intent on the part of the cops because Thomas Sowell.

Is there another site called Sowell Strut?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The lyrics to Sweet Home Alabama can be read as either supportive of Governor Wallace and his segregationist stance or against it (you can google several articles that parse the differences in interpretation). It could be used with racist intent if your interpretation of the song is that it is supportive of Wallace.

That is all.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:

Never apologize for being right.

b/w

That image of Bloomberg and the sybian is a keeper.

I don't know that I'm right. Just my two cents.

b/w

Thank you!

• LazarusOblong said:
    vintageinfants said:

needless to say you have our attention.

• vintageinfants said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    vintageinfants said:

needless to say you have our attention.

And most of your celebrities.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

That's only because those other countries probably don't have people supposedly selling single cigarettes on street corners. If Japan would start cracking down on the illegal street single cigarette black market. They could easily get their numbers up...

Which is all completely warranted to put someone in a choke hold/headlock while they gasp out that they can't breath over it all.

• Eric Garner isn't even covered by that stat because he wasn't shot.

Other than that, right-wing Americans are disappointed that the number isn't higher.

DB_Cooper said:
    The lyrics to Sweet Home Alabama can be read as either supportive of Governor Wallace and his segregationist stance or against it (you can google several articles that parse the differences in interpretation). It could be used with racist intent if your interpretation of the song is that it is supportive of Wallace.

That is all.

This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. The only ones who know the "true" meaning of the song are the people who wrote it. It is very well documented that Van Zandt and this song were Anti-Wallace. He explained in great detail how this was simply a response to two Neil Young songs with the message that not everyone in the South is a racist as stereotyped in the songs "Southern Man" and "Alabama". One of the lyrics in the song literally "Boos" Wallace, the Democrat Governor at the time. Young even sung "Sweet Home Alabama" at Ronnie Van Zandt's funeral.

But true to form some so-called music historian, or scholar or whatever the fuck some academic idiot calls themselves, THEY know better that the authors and find reason to suspect that the song might really be pro Wallace and as a result, racist. And I know exactly why they think this...because they WANT it to be so it fits into their secret mind garden narrative. Please pass the ketchup Mr. Sowell.

• DOR said:
    vintageinfants said:

That's only because those other countries probably don't have people supposedly selling single cigarettes on street corners. If Japan would start cracking down on the illegal street single cigarette black market. They could easily get their numbers up...

Which is all completely warranted to put someone in a choke hold/headlock while they gasp out that they can't breath over it all.

someone's probably going to miss your sarcasm there.

and by the way, if you're one of the people who are stomping their feet and saying "ALL LIVES MATTER" whenever someone says "BLACK LIVES MATTER" you are whitewashing the issue and you need to sit the fuck down, this is not about you.

• and anyone who knows me knows that i love america.... it's one of my favorite third world countries to visit.

• Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:

That is all.

This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. The only ones who know the "true" meaning of the song are the people who wrote it. It is very well documented that Van Zandt and this song were Anti-Wallace. He explained in great detail how this was simply a response to two Neil Young songs with the message that not everyone in the South is a racist as stereotyped in the songs "Southern Man" and "Alabama". One of the lyrics in the song literally "Boos" Wallace, the Democrat Governor at the time. Young even sung "Sweet Home Alabama" at Ronnie Van Zandt's funeral.

But true to form some so-called music historian, or scholar or whatever the fuck some academic idiot calls themselves, THEY know better that the authors and find reason to suspect that the song might really be pro Wallace and as a result, racist. And I know exactly why they think this...because they WANT it to be so it fits into their secret mind garden narrative. Please pass the ketchup Mr. Sowell.

The "true meaning" has nothing whatsoever with secondary meanings or uses people might decide it can be used for. Thus the Notre Dame leprechaun becomes, in some places, a synonym for white supremacy. I know that in Rockworld those cops were just benignly sharing a cool tune with some of their fellow citizens, but here in the real world they may as well have been waving watermelons out of their windows.

(I know, I know, you and Dr. Sowell would be just fine with that, too.)

• vintageinfants said:
    and anyone who knows me knows that i love america.... it's one of my favorite third world countries to visit.

We have better beer here.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    vintageinfants said:
    and anyone who knows me knows that i love america.... it's one of my favorite third world countries to visit.

We have better cheaper beer here.

• LazarusOblong said:
    vintageinfants said:

We have better beer here.

not worth the risk.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/15/daniel-trent-killed-man-over-beer_n_5331807.html

LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:

That is all.

The "true meaning" has nothing whatsoever with secondary meanings or uses people might decide it can be used for. Thus the Notre Dame leprechaun becomes, in some places, a synonym for white supremacy. I know that in Rockworld those cops were just benignly sharing a cool tune with some of their fellow citizens, but here in the real world they may as well have been waving watermelons out of their windows.

In Rockworld a song that carries a blatantly anti-racist message can't be used to represent nor be taken as a pro-racism stance.

Comparing Watermelons to "Sweet Home Alabama" is some next level shit.

What next, wearing KKK outfits = "Southern Man"

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:

That is all.

I think the song's intent is fairly well-known; however, I don't think the interpretation question is as much about academics thinking they know better, as much as it is the song's capacity to be used with a specific intent that doesn't match the author's (which can happen with any piece of music),

A great example would be "Born in the USA" being repeatedly touted as an anthem of unquestioning patriotism, when it was anything but. I'm sure many of us remember the story of the Reagan campaign being denied use of that song, etc.

Likewise, I don't think it's a stretch to say that "Sweet Home Alabama"s message and nuance are lost on some. I would find it hard to believe that the officers who played it at those protests were doing it as a gesture of solidarity. Just a hunch.

Of course, they might have just been Skynrd fans, rocking out. That seems unlikely too, given that they decided to blast just that one song.

I like that this thread eventually came back around to music. Seems appropriate.

• Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:

That is all.

In Rockworld a song that carries a blatantly anti-racist message can't be used to represent nor be taken as a pro-racism stance.

Comparing Watermelons to "Sweet Home Alabama" is some next level shit.

What next, wearing KKK outfits = "Southern Man"

Got it. In Rockworld watermelons are racist, but cops who drive by black protesters playing a song they think represents Dixie are just audiophiles.

I know of no example when this song was used in any way as an anthem to represent racism. If there is a documented case of this please educate me.

If playing any song about the south automatically implies an allegiance with a racist Southern culture, the irony that the very reason this song exists is to refute that stereotype is not lost on me.

The person, an apparent media member, who brought this story to light is quoted below...he obviously doesn't know anything about the history and meaning of the song, but that didn't stop him from pouring ketchup.

[em]Humboldt Park photographer Gabriel Michael captured the footage about 1:30 p.m. in the 100 block of South Pulaski Road.
    [strong]"I couldn’t believe what I was hearing because you have to know the history of that song and the meaning,"[/strong] Michael said. [/em]

• And by the way, "Sweet Home Alabama" isn't "blatantly anti-racist." It's much more ambiguous than that. If it were "blatantly anti-racist" the denizens of Rockworld would dismiss it as liberal propaganda.

I'll bet the bar in Missouri that had a "Mike Brown Special" of "6 Shots For $10" has plenty of Skynyrd on the jukebox and a big old rebel flag on display. Because why wouldn't it?