"You Could Have Been Gettin' Down to These Syck Beatz"

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited November 2014 in Strut Central
complaining about "pop music" is kinda futile but over the past week this song has been ubiquitous. it is a new kind of awful. make it stop. herm, can you defend this shit? can anyone?

Comments

• This was played at my close friend's wedding and it reminds me of a fun night. So I'm ok with it.

Actually... I can't hate on it much. I would rather have this than some shitty grungy or indie rock tune. I am never listening to radio so don't get much pop music in my life, but I think pop music is better now than the past decade or so...

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    The thing that bugs me the most about Tay-Tay's statement is that it is NOT a 'sick beat'.
    We have pop radio playing all day at work. I'm usually ok with it for the first three hours of the day but i then seem to get more and more agitated as the day goes on. Some subconscious kind of mental torture.

• To me, it's sounds like someone was like "remember Hey Ya?! Let's do something like that." It's not a full on bite, but I feel like it's kind of mapped out in similar ways. The talking interlude, which is incredibly white girl in its lack of style, is kind of like the Polaroid picture portion of Hey Ya.
    It's a catchy song. My kids liked it. Its a bit played now. I like it better than a lot of stuff on the radio, but i feel no need to borrow the cd from the library or anything.

• How did I become the go-to guy for this stuff?! I haven't listened to the radio in well over 20 years! (Well, I did listen to satellite radio when I got a free month-long trial with a car purchase a few years ago, but it got boring and repetitive quick.)

Anyways, the only reason I even know this song is because I DJ weddings. This is wedding music, along with the aforementioned "Hey Ya!," line dances, etc. In that setting and for that reason, yes, I will defend it. But I really shouldn't have to 'cause complaining about it in the first place is silly and pointless. Turn the dial or whatever you do to avoid Top 40 bubblegum pop and K.I.M. Easy peasy.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I don't trust people who get snobby about pop music, but honestly, has there ever been an artist as utterly swagless as Taylor Swift? Every time I hear that song - and I hear it a lot - I think of this, the most cringe-inducing scene in one of the worst movies of this century.

I liked that song she had in whichever teen movie it was - The Hunger Games, I think - but Shake It Off is trash.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Quite honestly - it's 3:47 of pop perfection.
    Hate it, love it... it's a pop song. It does what it says on the tin. Move on...

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    It's bad, but I've heard worse.

The video is kinda fun.

When I was a likkle yoot, I was jamming to Cyndi Lauper, WHAM, Michael Jackson, Madonna, etc., which is pretty much the 80's equivalent to Taylor Swift.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    tell you what... i'll take that song over lmfao or pitbull any day

• Delay said:
    tell you what... i'll take that song over lmfao or pitbull any day

+1

Exactly.