Meow The Jewels

Comments

• i read about this this morning and was all like "WHERE DO I SIGN? WHAT DO I SEND?!?" but then there wasn't a link at the bottom of the page and my enthusiasm wore out.

i may have become a teenager again thanks to the internet.

by the way, everything i've heard off the new RTJ is straight up murderous. cant wait.

does this go harder with full cat sounds?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Going to see Run the Jewels tonight here in Austin.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

have fun dude. Although always a fan, Killer Mike has arguably become one of my favorite rappers in the past few years, and I really think he works well with El-P's production (which to be honest, I was never the biggest fan of -- but when KM accompanies it, I like it a whole bunch more).

jlee said:
    HarveyCanal said:

have fun dude. Although always a fan, Killer Mike has arguably become one of my favorite rappers in the past few years, and I really think he works well with El-P's production (which to be honest, I was never the biggest fan of -- but when KM accompanies it, I like it a whole bunch more).

Yeah, I'm hoping for as little of El-P rapping as possible. Although I have a feeling I'm not going to get that. Reminds me to buy some earplugs before I go.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    jlee said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Yeah, I'm hoping for as little of El-P rapping as possible. Although I have a feeling I'm not going to get that...

Yeah you definitely won't be getting that. Prepare thine earplugs for his verses and, more importantly, his between song rants...

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    jlee said:
    HarveyCanal said:

, and I really think he works well with El-P's production (which to be honest, I was never the biggest fan of

Yeah, I'm hoping for as little of El-P rapping as possible.

Killer Mike rapping over El-P beats = THAT SHIT.

El-P joining in on the rapping = JUST SHIT.

does anyone remember jingle cats? we used to listen to them as a goof BITD. is this going to be in that vein or something more :hard_as_fuck: ??

Killer Mike rapping over any beats = THAT SHIT.

El-P joining in on the rapping = hot butter on the popcorn

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm perplexed, why exactly would it cost $40,000 to remix this?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    I'm perplexed, why exactly would it cost $40,000 to remix this?

El-P has publicly stated (via twitter: @TheRealElP) that he will donate HIS money to a charity directly benefiting the families of Eric Garner and Mike Brown. So that being said THIS KICKSTARTER IS NOT RAISING MONEY FOR CHARITYÔǪ.ALL MONEY RAISED WILL BE USED TO PAY EL-P AND KILLER MIKE TO CREATE THE ÔÇ£MEOW THE JEWELSÔÇØ ALBUM,$40000 will be used to pay Run The Jewels. $2050 will be used for Kickstarter Fees $2050 will be used for the ÔÇÿAmazon PaymentÔÇÿ fees. $1000 has been allocated for rewards/shipping.

Gotta say, El-P wasn't as bad rapping as I thought he'd be. Even told him afterwards that he's gotten pretty fluid with the Southern style.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

Thier street team in Mile High city is earning thier keep.
    This went up a bout 2 weeks ago....10 blocks from my house.
    First version was just them normal.
    2nd was them as cats for a day or two and Now its halloween themed (shown in picture)

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    jlee said:
    HarveyCanal said:

same here. I wish it was just Killer Mike rapping and not El-P though. No offense to that guy, I just would prefer he stick to the beats and let Mike do all the rapping.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    I like both Mike's and EL's rapping, and together they have such a great chemistry.

• I bet El-P slept well knowing Harv approved of his southern appropriation...

Looking forward to this album. Both dudes are at the top of their game and have great chemistry.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    Been playing Run The Jewels 2 for about a week now, real good, loving it far more than the last RTJ which was really a 1 or 2 tracker for me.
    Those two guys have mad chemistry together, the beats a amazing, the only thing Im not too keen on is the guest verse from the RATM guy.

• I'm pretty damn blown away by this new album. I get to see them at the end of the month, and can't remember the last time I was this excited to see some live rap tunes.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I'm also in the El-P is better at producing than rapping camp, but I think he's gotten better at it over the past few albums he put out. Still think he's better at producing though.

ppadilha said:
    I'm also in the El-P is better at producing than rapping camp, but I think he's gotten better at it over the past few albums he put out. Still think he's better at producing though.

There's no accounting for taste, so this is a foll's errand for sure... but I just don't buy that El has gotten better over time. IMO, he came out the box with Co-Flow as a total. beast.

Am I the only one who rates this shit around here?

While he seemed to abandon the idea of being an archetypical MC for a while after Fantastic Damage (and really lost my interest for a couple of albums), he's been back on that bullshit ever since jumping on the Huzzah remix a couple of years ago.

/rant

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I'm not saying he's awful, but there's something about his voice that gets to me, and at times I think he's trying too hard to sound intelligent. I like Co-flow and Fantastic Damage though.

The main thing is that if I see a song that says "feat. El-P" I won't really be interested in hearing his contribution, whereas if I see "produced by El-P" I'll probably want to give it a listen.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Lovin' this video...

ppadilha said:
    I'm not saying he's awful, but there's something about his voice that gets to me, and at times I think he's trying too hard to sound intelligent. I like Co-flow and Fantastic Damage though.

The main thing is that if I see a song that says "feat. El-P" I won't really be interested in hearing his contribution, whereas if I see "produced by El-P" I'll probably want to give it a listen.

That's totally fair. I can accept that he's (always been) an acquired taste as an mc.

francois parker said:
    Been playing Run The Jewels 2 for about a week now, real good, loving it far more than the last RTJ which was really a 1 or 2 tracker for me.

Just picked up the 1st one about a week or so ago and I gotta agree with your assessment of it. I'll try the 2nd one eventually though. I want to like this group more than I actually do.

• ppadilha said:

Am I the only one who rates this shit around here?

HELL NO! I've been following everything El & Jus did since first copping Funcrusher all those years ago (and taking literally months to properly digest it - what was the last album you had that experience with?) Is El-P a better producer than a rapper? Yes, possibly, but he's one of the best producers out there bar none so that's not exactly saying he's a poor emcee.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts

This first track.. Feel the purr bass hah

^^ incredibly brilliant - does not disappoint