What labels do you avoid to collect ?

KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I can only think of PERL right now ...

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Black Saint
    I'm sure theres like one or two really nice things somewhere in thier catalogue but I sure as hell ain't heard it

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I'm blanking but the label with the St Clair Pickney LP Private Stock. (Ichiban?) Great record and everything else on that label seems to suck really bad. I keep buying stuff based on the St Clair LP and nothing comes close.

• Black Saint
    I'm sure theres like one or two really nice things somewhere in thier catalogue but I sure as hell ain't heard it
    co-sign. also anything "timeless muse"

• which reminds me we need an AVOID graemlins. peace, stein. . .

• maybe him.

• Black Saint

I think I used to have an Andrew Cyrille on Black Saint that was decent. As for me, I tend to steer pretty clear of Pablo and ECM, though I know there are a couple good things on both.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Black Saint

I think I used to have an Andrew Cyrille on Black Saint that was decent. As for me, I tend to steer pretty clear of Pablo and ECM, though I know there are a couple good things on both.

Pablo has some nice records. Do not avoid!

• Black Saint
    co-sign. also anything "timeless muse"

3 reasons your wrong to avoid "timeless" records...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I would advise one to avoid "collecting" any label.

A. "good labels" have been known to release "bad records".

B. "Bad labels" have been known to realease "good records".

C. If you "collect" a label, you are probably a hellish dork, and a snob. If you are concerned about having a "collection of significance", go collect mummified Pilgrims or something.

just some thoughts.

oh yeah, & CTI.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    go collect mummified Pilgrims or something.

exactly.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I try not to shut any labels out because every labels has to at least one gem...right?

Black saint ( i havn't heard alot of there stuff but the two records I have suck)

ECM I used to work at a radio station that had that whole catolouge...I would go throught he recs looking for samples and everything was bland.

Yo what is dope on Pablo? I have only come across a couple things on there that didn't impress. How is that Faddis record on Pablo?

has this been released with a different cover? I think I saw it at a shop recently. Worth a damn? I think it was like 6 bucks.

• I try not to shut any labels out because every labels has to at least one gem...right?

I try not to shut out Blue Note and Impulse.

• has this been released with a different cover? I think I saw it at a shop recently. Worth a damn? I think it was like 6 bucks.

yeah, did have pics of the dudes playing on the cover and like a sky background, it was realesed like that on timeless muse, i like it, its a pretty straight album, like a later strata east release nothing crazy, just a solid jazz album

has this been released with a different cover? I think I saw it at a shop recently. Worth a damn? I think it was like 6 bucks.

yeah, did have pics of the dudes playing on the cover and like a sky background, it was realesed like that on timeless muse, i like it, its a pretty straight album, like a later strata east release nothing crazy, just a solid jazz album

yeah, thats it. cool - thanks!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Black Saint and Soul Note are two of the best jazz labels from the late 70s and early 80s.

• Black saint ( i havn't heard alot of there stuff but the two records I have suck)

here is one really dope one, solid all the way through

ECM I used to work at a radio station that had that whole catolouge...I would go throught he recs looking for samples and everything was bland.

90% of ecm shit is crap, there are only a few things that are worth looking for, here are two...

Stanley Cowell - Illusion Suite

Nana Vasconcelos - s/t

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up 3rd stream....that record on ECM looks dope...real different from the other covers on that label

Thanks for the heads up 3rd stream....that record on ECM looks dope...real different from the other covers on that label

the Kenyatta & Wolgang Dauner are quite good too.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

the Kenyatta & Wolgang Dauner are quite good too.

also: julian priester love love (ecm)

and on timeless: tom grant mystified

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

oh yeah and pablo has the free ride lp with lalo and dizzy which is dope, and a mike longo record with tuff drums......

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    mike longo record with tuff drums......
    Sounds good... I have never come across this rec.

mike longo record with tuff drums......

Sounds good... I have never come across this rec.

talk with the spirits (1976), greyish cover with longos face on front, he's playing acoustic, a few of the tracks are funk styled and theres some real dope open drums

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Yo what is dope on Pablo? I have only come across a couple things on there that didn't impress. How is that Faddis record on Pablo?

Yeah, what the others (especially Longo's LP) said plus some LPs feat. Ray Brown or Joe Pass, Agora LP, Dizzy has good ones and the JON FADDIS LP HAS A TOUGH DRUM BREAK plus good Jazz tunes!!! Two Louie Bellson LPs have drum breaks and some funky moments. There's one LP on Pable that has a smokin' "Chameleon" version! I'm not at home right now. Can't recall who recorded it. Do not avoid, I repeat: do not avoid!

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    cosign on windham hill. who was running this label? the adress listed on their records is from my home town.

but with ecm, i can't run with the crowd. i love the quasi-new-age-jazz-fusion bla bla (jan garbarek is my man). gary burton ain't half bad either.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

too obvious...