The Flea Market Pet Peeves Thread

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
don't get me wrong, i absolutely love 'em when i can get good records, but i haven't fucked with em in a minute, and hit some this weekend and was reminded why. so i channeled my inner fatback/d-dot and i'mma tell you why i'm mad (of course bear in mind when i say "dealer" i mean old man who found a stack of his sons records, this isn't directed to record guys at flea markets, that'd be a whole nother thread):- When you look through a stack of mantovanis, and start to walk away, then the "dealer" offers you a "deal" on the whole stack. If I don't want one cat pissed stained mantovani lp, i definitely don't want forty of them.- When a "dealer" prices their records for anything more than $2 or so. Seriously, I'm not getting up at 5/6/7 am and getting my knuckles dusty and my knees scraped (no homo) digging through your shit to pay $10. If I wanted to pay bloated and ill informed prices on records i don't even particularly want I could've gotten up at noon and gone to a record store. I know you NYC special friends talk about spending double digits regularly at fleas. That's why I hate you and your city.- When a "dealer" arbitrarily prices their shit like "The front half of the crate is $10, the back half is $1". You don't know anything about records, sorry homie. Usually these are the "BEATLES ARE $10" types, which I'm not particularly mad at, but I could use a minting up on my white album and i'm not trying to pay $10 for it.- When a "dealer" tries to push their bullshit tastes on you. "I>Don't you want Bruce Springsteen? It's a live show! You don't like THE BOSS?!?[/i]" (but maybe that's a new jersey thing?)- When a "dealer" doesn't understand the concept of condition. If i'm about to buy a 45, i pull it out of a sleeve and has been skated and tap danced on, don't be like "i thought you wanted that, why aren't you buying that? i'll give you a discount".- When anyone says "I>Do you even have a turntable?/I>". No bitch, I'm just throwing my money away on a dead and useless medium. See also: when anyone says "I>I didn't even know they made records anymore/I>"- When a "dealer" lets his records warp knowingly, watching them in the sun, often making jokes about them.- When hipster idiots need to get in the way to thumb through one crate, pulling out some 80s band to impress their girlfriend with it I>"Remember Human League? Aren't I funny?"/I>- When a "dealer" won't let you crack a seal to listen. I mean, I can totally understand if it's an actual record dealer, who, you know, prices his record. But you're gonna sell it for $1 either way, why should it matter if your shit is sealed.- When a "dealer" says "I>I doubt there'll be anything you'd like, it's mostly older music/I>". As if ignorant youths are only interested in new releases and, that being the case, i'd be stupid enough to go to a flea market to look for a 50 cent lp in your crate of mantovanis. plaese to add on...

Comments

• how come cats like to pee on records?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    yup, cosign on all of this

the thrill of the hunt and the good finds outweigh all of this, though

ps: never pay admission

pps: park close to the gates/exits to make it easy to transfer stacks to the car

ppps: Fuk all the "rock-only" diggers (read: indie kids and rock doodz), old head diggers that get in the way taking their sweet old time analyzing Neil Diamond LPs, and wannabe diggers in general. If you get mad at me for looking at the crate before you, it's because you're too busy looking at fuking Supertramp and Heart LPs and you only have $4 in your pockets, sucker. Yes, you're in my way.

Nevermind, I love you "rock-only" guys cos you pass on the heavy psych while you buy Houses of the Holy in original shrink and brag to me like little babies when you find some stupid Elvis record. Die.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    the saturday flea in santa cruz is shit for records but they have a SICK karaoke setup.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    You're really on the money here noz... I've heard 'em all a million times... I like to give false advice like, "MAN! this is worth like a zillion man!" and then put it back just to see the expression on their face. I like playing dumb with 'em just to see what they say...

I had a bad experience out in Trenton a few weeks back... the dude had that Johnny Bristol (not the one that Soulman was selling a while back) but the one with him close and like a lady in the background... anyway it was on the side walk for like $1... so I tell him I found it outside and he's like, that was misplaced I need $10... I'm like keep it... I hate that, if you misplace it, you should honor the price, thats you fault, now, I'll never come back to your store... at least not for a while...

You're really on the money here noz... I've heard 'em all a million times... I like to give false advice like, "MAN! this is worth like a zillion man!" and then put it back just to see the expression on their face. I like playing dumb with 'em just to see what they say...

this is a good look

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I had a bad experience out in Trenton a few weeks back... the dude had that Johnny Bristol (not the one that Soulman was selling a while back) but the one with him close and like a lady in the background... anyway it was on the side walk for like $1... so I tell him I found it outside and he's like, that was misplaced I need $10... I'm like keep it... I hate that, if you misplace it, you should honor the price, thats you fault, now, I'll never come back to your store... at least not for a while...

there are still record stores in trenton?

• There is no thrill of the hunt. There is only walking around in the hot ass sun looking at the same tired dealers over and over again. Then there is the only 1 channel on the GP3, so sometimes I'm wondering, are these drums really quiet, or they all on the other channel? Does this record sound crappy because it is crappy? or is it because i'm listening through little tiny headphones and can barely hear it?

Then there is the uncomfortable feeling of squatting down with a few tacky looking easy listening joints to check out while all the rock/soul/jazz/whatever are looking for raers, and they probably think I'M the idiot that doesn't know anything about records because otherwise why would I be checking this shit out.

Or the akward times when I grab a stack of 10 records that look promising, and I sit down and do through the whole stack and none of them are really any good, and I have to put them all back, and I feel kind of like a jackass and almost want to buy at least 1 so i don't feel like I wasted anybody's time.

After a while it is kinda fun to get to know some of the other record people though. I like dreadlock girl and her friend. they are always nice and will always point out where to check for some shit. i guess thats ok.

there are still record stores in trenton?

I think there are a few... I met a dude, he was sweet and he gave me some info...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    hmm... i'm slipping on my own turf. maybe i should start paying attention to record buying again.

back to the subject, paying admission for a flea market is a way more common on the west coast, no? there's one market around here that charges once in a while (i can't find any rhyme or reason to it), which is my cue to immediately turn the car around.

it's only $1 out here but that means $1 less if you pay, lol

saying

yeah east coast fleas are more like "antique stores" with tables and people brining stuff or who have preset booths, no?

the west coast mostly has swap meets in large parking lots. lots of wandering around in the heat, as dizzy pointed out.

RUNNIN' THANGS.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    it's only $1 out here but that means $1 less if you pay, lol

yeah it's usually $1 on the rare occasion they charge here.

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    When a "dealer" won't let you crack a seal to listen. I mean, I can totally understand if it's an actual record dealer, who, you know, prices his record. But you're gonna sell it for $1 either way, why should it matter if your shit is sealed.

I agree wit prettty all of those except this one. IN this case y wouldnt u jus spend the dollar?

hmm... i'm slipping on my own turf. maybe i should start paying attention to record buying again.

Now that I think of it... its just over the bridge from Trenton in Pennsylvania...

• You kinda mentioned it before but the old guys who sit around telling you how obsessed they were with bands and showing you pictures after pictures of non interesting shit.

Trying to be a record "dealer" like you said is a big one.

Hmmm. Kinda good and bad is the antique sellers who sell all sorts of junk and records and they are always talking about how certain records are worth money like Michael Jackson and Beatles blah blah blah while sleeping on the gems. They talk too much and kinda make you want to leave.

Best experience was with this guy who wasn't a "dealer" but had records and lots of them. He had a lot of good shit, cheap. I made all my money back by selling and plus got to keep many many s. The problem with this whole thing was he left his truck out in the rain and all the covers were soaked and you can imagine the smell after a while staying at my house. I also slpet on some Funkadelic pieces which I don't know why I slept. Pissed me off. I shoulda took em for 40 cents regardless of the wear.

To me the positives outweigh the negatives although recently I have been coming out empty handed on records and scoring on other ish.

NOZ, Where you stay at? Wondering.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

- When a "dealer" won't let you crack a seal to listen. I mean, I can totally understand if it's an actual record dealer, who, you know, prices his record. But you're gonna sell it for $1 either way, why should it matter if your shit is sealed.

Actually, I get annoyed when a legit dealer won't let me crack a seal in order to verify that there's no warping. I will promise to pay you the price you're asking if you allow me to verify that the item in question is what it purports to be and not a f**king pressure warped fruitbowl.

• - When a "dealer" won't let you crack a seal to listen. I mean, I can totally understand if it's an actual record dealer, who, you know, prices his record. But you're gonna sell it for $1 either way, why should it matter if your shit is sealed.

Actually, I get annoyed when a legit dealer won't let me crack a seal in order to verify that there's no warping. I will promise to pay you the price you're asking if you allow me to verify that the item in question is what it purports to be and not a f**king pressure warped fruitbowl.

Almost all sealed records, in my experience, are warped a little; sometimes the warp is so minor as to be almost unnoticeable but I think it's fair to not give the customer the option because I've seen dudes be like, there's a .05 cm lip warp! Cut off $20!!!

I mean, the enterprising collector should be able to tell if a sealed record is pringled just by examining the jacket/seal carefully. Can I get a hand model up in this piece?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    these are all on the money, i especially hate the "i'll give them all to you for a deal". i get that one EVERY week. like dude, if you se me start to walk away without ONE of your records, i dont want ALL of them. fuck, i hate that.

flea markets have been really dry around here recently

• A lot of times you can tell if a sealed record will be heavily warped by simply looking at whether the cover is warped. As for fleas, I've experienced every one of those anecdotes. The worst perhaps is when you spend an hour digging through unmarked, unpriced filth, and then the prices are like, $4 for this 45, $6 for that LP, in less than immaculate conditions. I have since learned to always ask about prices BEFORE I wade through the muck.

- When a "dealer" won't let you crack a seal to listen. I mean, I can totally understand if it's an actual record dealer, who, you know, prices his record. But you're gonna sell it for $1 either way, why should it matter if your shit is sealed.

Almost all sealed records, in my experience, are warped a little; sometimes the warp is so minor as to be almost unnoticeable but I think it's fair to not give the customer the option because I've seen dudes be like, there's a .05 cm lip warp! Cut off $20!!!

I mean, the enterprising collector should be able to tell if a sealed record is pringled just by examining the jacket/seal carefully. Can I get a hand model up in this piece?

My response to that is: if you think the amount I'm asking you take off based on the warp is excessive, then let the market sort it out--keep it at that price and see if you can move it. A cracked seal shouldn't scare off the educated consumer and that's not what dealers are worried about when they won't let you do it--they're worried that you'll make it impossible for them to pass a fruitbowl off to some little dude at a mint price.

One thing I've always liked about TSL is how reasonable they are about this.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I hate it when I'm buying some so so records from one dealer and I look over and I see Fatback, Nightcrawler and Harry going crazy on some crates across the way.

• - When a "dealer" won't let you crack a seal to listen. I mean, I can totally understand if it's an actual record dealer, who, you know, prices his record. But you're gonna sell it for $1 either way, why should it matter if your shit is sealed.

My response to that is: if you think the amount I'm asking you take off based on the warp is excessive, then let the market sort it out--keep it at that price and see if you can move it. A cracked seal shouldn't scare off the educated consumer and that's not what dealers are worried about when they won't let you do it--they're worried that you'll make it impossible for them to pass a fruitbowl off to some little dude at a mint price.

One thing I've always liked about TSL is how reasonable they are about this.

I'm usually alright with that, but depending on how rare the record is it's kinda either-you-want-it-or-you-don't. A slight warp wouldn't knock off too much of a record that's sufficiently rare though either.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

Now that I think of it... its just over the bridge from Trenton in Pennsylvania...

yeah, in morrisville. that place is very

co-sign on flea market comments.. were you at columbus this weekend, noz?

another thing that is kind of annoying is when they just stack the records on a table without a box. like, 200 high. it's all awkward trying to flip through them.

• i hate it when dudes arbitarily change there prices. one time i asked about this 80s ladies 12" and the dude quoted 40. then some other japanese guy comes around and he says 20 for him wtf ?

you don't like me or something?

or one time mustapha out here in pasadena had a copy of vibes from tribe. i asked him how much he said 400. then some other dude walks up and asks him how much, he says 350. wtf ?!

out here in merced there are such crappy records that a lot of dealers start giving them away free toward the middle of the day.

and the worst of all those is when you go at about 4 am and it's so dark you end up buying all these skated records cause you can't see the condition from some over head street lamp.

dave

another thing that is kind of annoying is when they just stack the records on a table without a box. like, 200 high. it's all awkward trying to flip through them.
    this is the worst!!!!! i hate that, like bro, if you wanna sell em, throw em in a damn box

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I am with Paycheck. Somethings in life are just a gamble, and the old sealed raer is one of those gambles.

I am with Paycheck. Somethings in life are just a gamble, and the old sealed raer is one of those gambles.

Not when I'm spending $100+.

• no. the worst is when you find phenominal stuff which is now warped because its in direct sunlight. maybe its just a cali thing. peace, stein. .

Not when I'm spending $100+.

yo seriously though man are you nickle & diming to spend $85 on a $100 record with a very slight warp or are you worried about getting a pringle? Because the latter is very easy to tell.

• ... "hey you are into records right" ?

"Um, yes, I do collect records"

"I know this guys who wants to get rid of a TON of records just tell me what you are looking for and what you want to pay"

"thank you and goodbye sir!"

... "hey you are into records right" ?

"Um, yes, I do collect records"

"I know this guys who wants to get rid of a TON of records just tell me what you are looking for and what you want to pay"

"thank you and goodbye sir!"