This weekend in Toronto..

KidProcrassKidProcrass 107 Posts
edited June 2014 in Strut Central
So im heading down to see some family over the weekend (Danforth and Coxwell). Figured id ask around if there is anything happening as far as dj sets (soul, funk) or any other worth while entertainment. Would like to get a bit of diggin done also, kind of strapped for cash so im looking to hit mostly thrifts and flea markets. Saw a article about the Junction flea, is it worth checking out? Also any cheaps eats or bar recommendations would be most welcome.

Alex

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    The NXNE festival is on this weekend, so free shows at Yonge-Dundas square (Spoon tonight... Run The Jewels tomorrow) and LOTS of other bands playing around town.

Big dub night at Izakaya Sushi (294 College) tonight - featuring THIS homemade system:

You're staying in Little Ethiopia - I recommend the veggie platter and the cha cha at Rendez Vous.

Not sure if North Pole is open on Sundays, but they do great treats and have good home cooked Italian food at lunch time for cheap: http://www.blogto.com/bakery/north-pole-bakery-toronto

Danforth Pizza House is the pie (920 Danforth).

Head down to Gerrard and Coxwell for good cheap Indian food - try Udupi Palace for their dosas or Lahore Tikka House for their lamb kabobs.

Get on the subway and head over to Scarborough for good Value Village/Goodwill experiences.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Yo is that Dub night at Izakaya a regular thing?? I'd really love to get out and hear some custom sounds like that!!

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Cosine on Lahore Tikka House (their naan is killer and baked the old way)

Check the Waterfront Festival this weekend, too. Free and good bands.

Yeah Lahore is the go to spot. It's funny cuz I used to head out to eat there a lot in the past, but now that I'm just 5 mins south of it, I almost never go.

I think I'm going to head over for some naan and chana tomorrow. Damn I'm hungry just thinking about it.

• Thanks for the info guys! I actually meant to write next weekend.. Doh! I will mos def be hitting up Lahore and that ethiopian spot looks great too.

Ketan - never ventured to scarborough before, any specific station or area have more thrifts? Kennedy looks pretty promising. Also any stations to avoid at all cost?

Next weekend (28-29th) is World Pride in Toronto, so the city will be quite busy downtown. Where you're staying won't really be affected by the crowds, but any travelling downtown or on the subway will be busier than a usual Toronto weekend.

I'm not really great at diggin advice in town... (kinda feel lame admitting that lol)... I don't have any secret spots or go-to places. I stop at Kops (Queen and University area) a lot cuz it's on my way home from work. Nice selection across genres. Ok prices. Loads of 45s upstairs. Sonic Boom (the Honest Ed's location at Bathurst and Bloor) has a lot of records and good prices.

These places will not net you uber raer stuff. If you're looking for heavy pieces and willing to pay $$$ you should head to Cosmos.

My thrift game is hella weak. I've never even thought about venturing out to Scarborough for fleas/thrifts/etc.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Lots of thrifts in Scarborough. Try Value Village at Victoria Park and Eglinton Ave., Lawrence Ave. just east of Markham Rd., and Victoria Park just south of Finch Ave.

For Goodwill, try their Community Reuse Centre at 350 Progress Ave, just west of Brimley Rd.

Henry's Records in north Scarborough for the reggae 45s, although he has lots of soul, disco, funk and rock 45s, 12s and LPs. PM me if you need any more details.

KidProcrass said:
    Thanks for the info guys! I actually meant to write next weekend.. Doh! I will mos def be hitting up Lahore and that ethiopian spot looks great too.

Ketan - never ventured to scarborough before, any specific station or area have more thrifts? Kennedy looks pretty promising. Also any stations to avoid at all cost?

So you're actually a bit east of the ethiopian stretch, and also a bit east of THE ONLY, which is a great little bar.

what orips said, basically. scarborough is home to a lot of west indian folks (afro, indo, chinese), so there's a lot of great, cheap food everywhere. try some hakka chinese or goat roti. but scartown is not very walkable, and shops are spread pretty far apart.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I second Rendez Vous for Ethiopian and Udupi Palace on Gerrard (amazing rasam and even better palak paneer) .
    You should check Nicey's on Victoria Park, Drupati's on Bellamy and ACR on Lawrence E. for W Indian fare.
    As mentioned, Scarborough doesn't have too many strips/pockets the way some areas in the west end does, but Little India along Gerrard St. (which is more East York) and Pacific Mall at Kennedy and Steeles are concentrated enough.

Pride Weekend in Toronto is already nuts. This year, World Pride is here so it will be especially special. I recommend making the trip downtown to take it in. Toronto rules, sorry you have only two days here.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    Yo is that Dub night at Izakaya a regular thing?? I'd really love to get out and hear some custom sounds like that!!

He moves the party around - check for Dub Connection Sound System on FB.

bassie said:

Pride Weekend in Toronto is already nuts. This year, World Pride is here so it will be especially special. I recommend making the trip downtown to take it in. Toronto rules, sorry you have only two days here.

Yeah I just realized that my post could seem like Pride is to be avoided. That's not what I meant at all. It's one of the biggest/happiest celebrations that happens in the city. Catching the parade on Sunday is highly recommended, especially since this year it should be completely over the top production-wise. Just important to plan travel time accordingly that weekend since the city will be rammed.

• Sorry for the late reply its been a pretty busy week. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

@bassie - I too wish i was staying longer. I go to Toronto about once a year but its always just for a few days and most of my time is spent catching up with relatives and this weekend is no different. Hopefully i can do a proper week or 2 sometime soon.

I might stay a little longer to go see Ali Shaheed Muhammed spin at Tattoo bar on monday night. Anybody thinking of going?

How was the trip, KP?

I'm gonna be in MTL next week for work, so please PM if there's anything fun happening Mon-Thurs, or any exhibits worth checking at the moment. Thanks!

• It was a blast! Basically my brother,cousin and myself headed down there because my grandfather was in town and i hadnt seen him in 3 years so that was really great. It was hot as hell so we spent most of the time on patios downing cold beers, made it out to Distillery which i thought i would hate but it turned out to be pretty cool. This one gallery that focused on Quebec art had some really crazy pieces and Mill St. hall of beers was nice. Didnt end up having much time to dig but i managed to catch this record sale in a parking lot behind a bank. Few crusty dudes got there before me but i managed to pull a few records. Nothing crazy but 2$ a piece and super clean for the most part. Oh and Lahore Tikka house was the best indian food i have ever had.

Thats me on the right.

Mix media on a stainless steal base

• As for Montreal, Just for laughs is going on till the 26th is you want to catch a show or a gala.Fantasia film festival is on until early august so that could be worth checking out. On wesnesday you have the fireworks competition starting at 10pm. France is the country on display and the theme is Freedom - A tribute to Nelson Mandela. You can pay and see the real show at parc Jean-Drapeau or you can catch it for free standing anywhere in the old port. You can hit up Le Bleury (vinyl bar) close to place des arts and while your at it grab a bite at Furusato right next door. Pcmr should be able to guide you in the right directions for dj gigs, etc. I dont get out much these days. Museum i would go to Musee des beaux arts, lots of info and pictures on the website, or Museum of Contemporary arts if thats something your into.

This will help you find food trucks all over the city.

http://montreal.streetfoodquest.com/?n=53caf42feb496

Also dont forget to drop by st-viateur for a proper bagel or 12.

KidProcrass said:

Also dont forget to drop by st-viateur for a proper bagel or 12.

Every time I'm in Montreal, I hit them up and try to eat only ONE bagel on the way back to the hotel. I always fail. Fresh poppyseed with even just some plain ass philly cream cheese?? That shit is HEAVEN!!

That "behind the bank" record spot was on Queen, right?? That pops up occasionally through the summer and I have grabbed quite a few records. Like you said - nothing heavy, but clean cheap common records worth picking up!

Awesome to see you chillin with your gramps!! None of my grandparents are alive anymore and I'd love to be able to hang with them now as an adult. Family is important.

KidProcrass said:
    It was hot as hell so we spent most of the time on patios downing cold beers

Oh and Lahore Tikka house was the best indian food i have ever had.

That's summer in Toronto for you. (Has Beau's crossed the border into MTL yet?)

Lahore is good, but there's better if you find it too oily. Scarborough and Mississauga have some amazing spots for Indian food...

Thanks for the MTL tips! I'm staying down by the palais des congres, and someone suggested these restos nearby - whaddaya think? Anything else to check down there?

Qing hua
    Suite 701
    Garde manger
    Le local
    Le Cartet

• BeatChemist said:

That "behind the bank" record spot was on Queen, right?? That pops up occasionally through the summer and I have grabbed quite a few records. Like you said - nothing heavy, but clean cheap common records worth picking up!

Awesome to see you chillin with your gramps!! None of my grandparents are alive anymore and I'd love to be able to hang with them now as an adult. Family is important.

That would be the one. Started at 8am, got there by 7:45 and 3-4 guys already had piles so im sure there is good stuff to be had.

It was so much fun, he's still witty as hell and always has a song to sing. Without knowing my aunt ended up buying a house in the neighborhood where he grew up, went to the school on the corner, got married a few blocks down, etc.. so there's a crazy story around every corner.

• ketan said:

That's summer in Toronto for you. (Has Beau's crossed the border into MTL yet?)

Haven't seen any over here yet but i have had some in TO and it was great.

ketan said:
    Lahore is good, but there's better if you find it too oily. Scarborough and Mississauga have some amazing spots for Indian food...

It was actually a lot less oily than anywhere i have been in MTL, wouldn't mind a few recommendations for next time tho.

ketan said:
    Thanks for the MTL tips! I'm staying down by the palais des congres, and someone suggested these restos nearby - whaddaya think? Anything else to check down there?

Qing hua
    Suite 701
    Garde manger
    Le local
    Le Cartet

NP for the tips, Your actually perfectly situated for most things I recommended. I have some downtime at work today so i'll send you a google maps with points of interested and suggestions so you can get a better idea of how close you are to everything. Now to restaurants:

Qinh hua is out of your ways a bit and you have a much better dumpling spot right next to you in Mai Xiang Yuan.

Suite 701: I have never been but from my understanding it's a lot more of a business crowd, 5 a 7 type spot which usually means overpriced food and drinks but i can't comment on if that's true or not.

Garde Manger: Good food, great atmosphere (gets louder as the night goes on).

Haven't tried the other 2 but have heard good things. Money isnt really flowing in these day's so my fine dining experience has been lacking. If money isnt a issue tho i would rate Toqu├® over any of these if you can get a table.